1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lovin' my GM1!

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Edsiajb, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    I am in the US but wanted an all black GM1 so I ordered one from overseas...got it today and WOW! Now I can give my E-M1 a break for a few days.

Looking forward to trying the GM1 with Panny 14mm and 20mm along with the Oly 45mm and 75mm. And if I have time tomorrow (and no rain), I'll also try the Oly 60mm macro and 15mm body cap.

I tried the 12-32mm today...very impressive to me. I usually prefer and use primes, but the 12-32 is great.

• Like Like x 7
  2. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Photos or it never happened :tongue:

• Like Like x 5
  3. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Ha! I'll do my best to get some photos posted tomorrow...

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I've been considering using one of these as a backup camera for traveling, and a daily pocketable camera w/ the 14/20.

5. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Me too!

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Me three!

7. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    I was able to get out and try it yesterday...and to me, the GM1 is awesome!

I could not give the camera my full attention though as this was also a long-promised photo lesson outing for one of my teenage children...and to me that was far more important than evaluating the GM1. Too, some of my attention went to the E-M1 hanging on my side.

I tried the GM1 with the 14mm f2.5 (wow), 20mm f1.7, 15mm f8 (fun), 60mm f2.8 macro, and the 75mm f1.8. And, of course, I tried the 12-32mm. I ran out of time before trying the 45mm f1.8.

I really liked the balance and image results of the 14mm and the 12-32mm. I also liked the 75mm...it gave great image quality (as always) and although seemingly too big for the body, it really became a handle and made the camera easier to hold.

The 60mm macro was the most difficult to use, but part of that was probably because I was cold and shivering....not good for macro. At normal shooting distances it was fine.

The 15mm f8 was fun and made the combination wildly compact...but it is what it is.

I have lots more m43 lenses to try...just need to find the time.

I think I will use the 14mm most of all followed by the 12-32mm. Both of these lenses are compact and nice performers. Also, I think the 45mm will be a great combination...looking forward to trying that.

I am so glad I got the GM1!

• Like Like x 3
  8. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    I really want to get a GM1 too but I'm concerned about its lack of IBIS, especially when using longer FL lenses like the 45mm and 75mm.

During these dark winter days, every stop of light helps, I can easily see myself losing two stops of ISO advantage when using GM1. Now I'm wondering if I should wait to see if Olympus comes out with an answer for Panasonic's GM1, maybe a smaller, lighter E-PM3 with IBIS built in?

9. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    Before you spend too much time "bewailing" the lack of IS/IBIS us "old farhts" grew up without any kind of image stabilization. We learned some effective bracing techniques.

Try this one: Place left hand on the right biceps (find a semi comfortable position for it. Raise the left elbow up level and clamp some with the left hand. Now holding the camera in the right hand lay/rest it on the left biceps, take in a breath, let half of it out and gently press the shutter release. I used to use this with 135mm to 210mm lenses on Nikon F, F2, and F3 bodies at as low as 1/4 sec shutter speed.

Also used the "kneeling rifleman's" position. Frequently leaned against trees, walls, doorways. With practice these work very well.

• Like Like x 4
  10. BLX

BLX Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2012
    Denmark
    Morten
    For gearheads like me - please post some shot with the different lenses mountet :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    ibis bah, just get a monopod if it worries you, and besides that who is going to buy a tiny little fingernail sized cam then stick a 75mm prime on it?
    I use the 45mm with my GX1 all the time, my shots are all hand held and sharp as a tack if I am on the ball. I am not as old or farty as Bif :tiphat: but I spent plenty of holidays with my Ricoh XRM and Miranda sensorex II with long lenses and film, never had blurred photo issues unless I was not concentrating. I reckon we all need to spend more time on our techniques and less time on GAS (guilty as charged your honour lol)

12. The thing about image stabilisation is that it hasn't done away with the need for good technique, but is something that when combined with good technique just expands the capabilities of a camera even further.

• Like Like x 3
  13. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Great, I really need this camera even if it's hard to justify having the gx7... Enjoy it! Small is beautiful!

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Me five!

You know, we all slathered over the GX7 and E-M1 releases, but the GM1 seems like it's sneaked up on us unawares. Given the relative size of the Sony A7 to its sensor, I'd think there's actually quite a lot of body shrinking possible on u43 cameras. Bring it on .. Small is beautiful. I think Panasonic has a winner on its hands with the GM1. I wonder if/when Oly will respond.

• Like Like x 1
  15. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Oly's PM2 is the closest possibility I think, if the next PM3 can lose 1cm of length and 3mm in the waist, then Oly will have a winner with IBIS and EVF port built in.

16. kurt1968

kurt1968 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2012
    re

they should have added a grip as high as the smallest pancakelens available.
    EOS M ; even if it was blazing fast , i wouldn't buy it because i get the camps holding it.

17. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    The 35-100 for sure would have OIS, but does anyone know why the Leica 15mm won't have OIS? Especially since it's being marketed as "designed for GM1" which doesn't have built-in IBIS.

18. Smallest possible size doesn't a great travel camera make. A great travel camera is a great camera, period.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Ok...I apologize for the poor quality...had to shoot these on a quick break at work with my iPad:

image61. image62. image63. image64. image65. image66. image67. image68.

• Like Like x 19
  20. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess because it's a Leica (more high quality glass rather than software correction), and they wanted to keep it at least somewhat small? The other is that it's a wide angle, which makes it slightly less necessary - conversely for a telephoto it's really handy!

At present, the only Panasonic body that has IBIS is the GX7, and historically they've made plenty of non-OIS normal/wides before that was even released (8 mm, 7-14 mm, 14 mm, 20 mm, 25 mm) - they only seem to bother putting OIS in lenses that go longer than 25 mm (i.e. that go telephoto).