Love to hear from newer digital users who purchased an Olympus OM-D camera - learning experience/curve

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Olympus lured me back into ilc photography about 2 years ago. It's a great system. Fun too. After horse trading a couple of lenses I purchased early on, this is my current kit (without the 'real' tripods, bags, etc.) I apologize for the image quality as it was taken with my phone. I am currently considering a third oly body so I can take better pictures of my kit. To answer an early question in this thread as to whether or not I'd do it again...yes.

20200616_201103.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

llondru

Mu-43 Regular
Very interesting thread ! It seems my path has a LOT in common with @Annie 's situation:

I started to be caught in photography back in 2010 with a 3rd hand Canon 350D and a heavy-and-not-sharp-at-all Sigma 18-200.
My progression was slow back then, but I read a lot, watched a lot of youtube tutorials, and most importantly, I went out there and took pictures : this is what makes you trully learn and feel confident about what you are doing.

In 2013, after understanding the limitations of my camera and lens, I saved a little money and I got a Canon 100D (Sl1 in the US) along with a 18-135 IS STM, and I slowly build a solid lens portfolio based on the needs and experience gathered through the years.

In 2019, I began considering an upgrade, based on what I really lacked and on what I really liked about my canon gear... and after a lot of thought, I got myself this little gem that is the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. As I was very sure about which focal lenghts I needed, based on all the years using the 100D, I got the excellent 12-100 f/4 IS PRO as the base lens for travel / multi-purpose (and it beats in every single aspect the 18-135 IS STM). Over this last months, and while I was selling my old equipment, I build my ideal lens line-up. Right now with the Laowa 7.5 , the Zuiko 17 1.8 & 45 1.8, and the excellent Zuiko 60 2.8 Macro. I only lack a long telephoto, which I plan to buy sometime during this year.

To summarize : my biggest limitation has always been lack of knowledge and lack of practice.
The E-M5 Mark III makes everything easier for me, because I already know what I want. Eventually, if I had less confidence in my skills, it probably would get in my way : it's a complex piece of technology, with hundreds of options : which is fine for me at this point, but probably not 5 years ago.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom