Love the OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kiwi Paul, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I'm really amazed just how must I've gelled with this camera (sans grip).
    I held one a few times not long after they were released and didn't like it and preferred the feel of the G3 and then the G5. But a few months back at Luton airport played with one in the camera shop and it felt good and the EVF was good so that played in the back of my mind.
    With the free grip offer from Oly back this month I decided to bite the bullet and give one a go, not really expecting too much compared to the nice handling and feel of the G5 and GH3, well I was in for a surprise.
    I liked it from the git go, the more I learned how to customize it just made it better. It has a nice "nippy" feel, I shoot in portrait and landscape pretty much 50/50 and the EM5 just flips from one orientation to the other as easy as pie and retains the same feel in either mode. My fingers just seem to fit right where they need to be and finding the buttons and dials is easy.
    I really like the form factor and compact size, it's one of those cameras that just feels right for me with any of my lenses.
    I've got the grip coming but really don't know if I'll use it, I like the nimble, compact feel and style of the EM5 which makes me a bit unique as most folk seem to prefer it with the grip.

An EM5 convert!!!

Paul

2. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    I really like it too.....great camera!!

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    I love mine to. You will love the landscape grip. I only use the portrait grip when I know I'll be needing it.

4. blotto

blotto Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I love mine too! I haven't tried the grip yet, I like keeping it as compact as possible. Its smaller size was one of the reasons i chose the OMD over GH3, adding the grip would make it almost the same size as the GH3, but its always good to have options.

5. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Interesting twist Paul, keep us posted...

6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Earlier today, I went to a big camera store here... tried all the cameras that I could try, from DSLR, Canon EOS M, Nikon 1, Sony R1X, Ricoh, Fuji and even the E-P5.

I would say among the cameras I tried today, I only got really surprised by the E-P5 + VF4, albeit it's a bit heavier than the E-M5 I think. It's sexy and all the controls are nicely laid out but since I already have both the E-M5 and E-PM2 I never felt like buying any of the cameras on display at all. :biggrin:

Yes I am pretty sure I love my E-M5 too :biggrin::2thumbs:

7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Great choice Paul.

The grip is superb and I use mine as just the grip when doing street/landscape work so I have a good comfortable hold yet still retaining a small footprint and then add the battery pack when using the big 75 or the 100-300 and need better balance.

It is a very well made grip that offers a solid build, flexibility and adaptability with added battery pack as well as nice vertical shutter release and added function buttons - I have no hesitation in recommending this to anyone and when offered free it is a real no brainer that I am sure you will be delighted with, just hope you don't have to wait to long to receive it.

8. 13thFloorPhotography

13thFloorPhotography Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2013
    Los Angeles
    My main work horse. Love it to death