1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Love the Olympus M.12mm for night sky / astro shots

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by quatchi, Mar 9, 2014.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    I have to admit that I am fairly new to night sky / astro photography, but so far I really love the Oly M.12mm lens for this. I use it in combination with the E-M5 and a Manfrotto tripod. Once in a while, it could be a tad wider for my taste, though.

Here are two (in my opinion) keepers shot with that lens. Feel free to add your night ky /astro images taken with the M.12mm!

<div class="pixels-photo">
    4. "Photograph To the Stars Above by quatchi on 500px">
    <a href="http://500px.com/photo/63520605">To the Stars Above by quatchi on 500px</a>
    </div>

<div class="pixels-photo">
    4. "Photograph Color of the Night by quatchi on 500px">
    <a href="http://500px.com/photo/62725723">Color of the Night byquatchi on 500px</a>
    </div>

• Like Like x 11
  2. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Those are very impressive photographs.

• Like Like x 1
  3. M1A2Tech

M1A2Tech New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2014
    Cavite, Philippines
    Chris
    Nice Images, I really enjoyed the dock and the mountain shot and that is what I hope to accomplish in the future. The second shot I can only dream about as in the Philippines there is no "Aurora Borealis" - one question in the bottom right is that a street lamp or car headlight that gives the additional illumination.

My 2 submissions are from my 1st attempt on March 1st in my yard and the second is from March 3rd overlooking Lake Taal here in Tagaytay. But I was late trying to find a decent location thus got more sunrise than I wanted. That resulted in a somewhat unbalanced image as the right side has more noise. But thinking about my exposure, MAYBE I should have tried center or spot metering. Something to consider and play with later. Hope this thread gets some more images and how to's.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Regards, Chris

4. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Beautiful images! I envy your aurora but not your winters.

5. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Chris, something seems to be wrong with your embedded images. At least I can only see the thumbnails.