Love my Primes...But I need a Fast Zoom!!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by MrKal_El, Feb 24, 2012.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I know this has been brought up many times before...but where is our Fast Zoom?!

I love my 12mm, 20mm & 45mm...But in many situations a solid mu43 designed fast Zoom would be amazing & much more practical.

Something in the range of the (Four Thirds) Oly 12-60mm f/2.8-4.0 OR Panny 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 (or even better... ~f/2.8 continuous :biggrin: )

Anything on the horizon?....

EDIT:

Annnnnnnnnnnnndddd of course after some googling... remembered I saw this: http://www.43rumors.com/ft3-from-unknown-source-upcoming-x-zoom-lenses-with-f2-8-constant-aperture/

2. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Are you only interested in AF lenses?

3. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    The 12-35/35-100 X lenses I've been eyeing and hoping for a release date since it was first revealed. Sadly, all Panasonic has done is parade the prototypes and just inferring it will be released this year (I don't believe it, but I want to).

For me, yes, I do need AF. Well, it's more I don't want to do stop down metering, but AF is needed. And I mostly want the 35-100, not the 12-35. 35-100 isn't exactly a common range for legacy glass. And no, I'm not buying the oly 35-100/2 =P

The "35-100" is the last lens I need to complete my kit to where I want it. That or the 75. I always get the prime but it ends up the zoom is better suited for me in that range. At this point, I'm almost willing to buy whichever comes first, heh.

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think the Lumix X 12-35mm/2.8 and Lumix X 35-100mm/2.8 have the same timeframe given as the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 and m.Zuiko 60mm/2.8 Macro - which is "within the year".

Until then, how about the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 II? It is CDAF-enabled and is not too slow to focus. The quality and brightness of a lens this compact out-weighs the slower AF (in comparison to native lenses). Plus it's fully weather sealed, which the Panasonic lenses will probably not be (only of significant importance if you're getting an OM-D).

• Like Like x 1
  5. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    has pansonic said that anywhere, in specific? All I've seen are vague references that basically feel more like they are still unsure of a date.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This article from Amateur Photographer which includes an interview with Ichiro Kitao, director of Panasonic's digital stills camera business, says the following:
    Of course, it's not worded as a direct quote but it's worded like the article writer heard it directly from Ichiro Kitao or else from Panasonic earlier when the lenses were shown. There is room for error in that statement, but it's the most concrete I've read yet regarding timeframe. :)

Olympus was more definite, as they publicly stated their time frame within the year.

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    yeah, it wasn't quoted so I still feel like it's more hearsay without an official statement from Panasonic. Not that it matters much, we all know official dates from them mean 3-6 months later anyway (in the US at least) =P

8. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    That seems like a possibility...But knowing my luck, I'll get it and Oly/Panny will drop a mu43 specific glass right after :smile:

9. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Haven't thought much on the 35-100 range.... Interesting.

10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    it's the classic 70-200 range... an event photographing tool of choice =) Works well as a portrait too. Though, I'm thinking the 75/1.8 would be nicer. I wish it were more a 65 though, 75 is a bit long for me as a prime.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tempoct

tempoct New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm waiting for a faster normal zoom as well. I'm used to my 17-55 2.8 on D5000 so that kit suit my shooting style well. But it's heavy despite the small body of D5000. Sadly, m43 has too many slow zooms but not one fast zoom. I wish Oly provide us with choice like 4/3. I think Lumix 12-35X will be nice but have to see the price. I expected somewhat faster zoom, maybe not constant aperture (i.e. 14-54 2.8-3.5 or better 12-60 or even 14-42 2.8-3.5) will show up sometime after the lumix X pairs. This is no rumor but just my guess.

12. MrKal_El

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks for bringing that up...I wanna make a good choice when eventually (hopefully) a few fast zooms come up...

13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Not me. 65mm and even 75mm is too close to the 45mm already out. I'd rather have more separation between my lenses. I wish the 75mm were a 90mm or a 100mm.

Currently I use lenses in the 25mm, 50mm, 135mm, and the 200mm ranges for a lightweight kit. I like the 85mm-90mm range if it's within the same aperture sizes as my 50mm lenses (ie, like f/1.4).

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In case anyone from Panasonic (or Olympus) is reading, let me put it in terms you will care about.

You are not getting any more of my money until you come out with bright native zooms. If one of the competing formats does it first, I will be highly tempted to spend my money there.

I know they will be bigger and more expensive than the slower lenses. I DON'T CARE. So long as your engineers do their job, and the size is smallER than any other option, that is all I want. Of course, the image quality will have to be as good as you have done in the past with the original 14-45, the 20/1.7, and the PL lenses.

...and while it's probably too late to ask, I would pay more for an f1.7-2.8 variable than a choked down f/2.8 fixed.

15. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I don't even want to guess at how much that would cost, haha.

However, I don't think you have to worry about a competitor beating m43 to the punch on a fast zoom. Based on the roadmaps, it seems unlikely =(

16. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I was over at the Panasonic booth at the WPPI Photographer's convention in Las Vegas this past week. The engineer for Panasonic said that the f2.8 X-lenses are most likely not coming before August

17. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I have to agree. Micro 4/3 seems perfect for travel photography, but that's an industry fueled by fast zooms. I think it's one area of photography where size gives a distinct competitive advantage. I'm looking forward to seeing what Panasonic plans to bring to market (hopefully before August!).

• Like Like x 1
  18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    1. I don't care

2. Not as much as you think. The diameter of the aperture opening would be the same as it is at the long end. The lens would in many ways be simpler because there wouldn't have to be a mechanism to choke down the aperture as the focal length shortens.

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Anyone hears anything new about launch date? I had heard June at one point, the post above says August ... June is coming up quick ...

20. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    definitely not June, as specs havent been released yet. End of 2012 would be hopeful, but Im guessing in 2013 if ever. The Oly 75mm and 60mm macro being released in June might be more plausible.

The fast zooms are exciting but how many people are willing to pay $1000+ for a m4/3 lens?