Loud shutters?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by yakky, Feb 3, 2014.

1. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Has anyone found any links that explain the loud shutters most M43 bodies seem to have? Aside from the bodies that have electronic shutters, it seems like every camera in the M43 world has a loud clunky shutters. I've played with/owned an PL1, PL3, PM2, GX1,GF3 and G5 and all were much louder than most regular DSLRs. I did really like the G5 electronic shutter.
  2. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    Here's my experience with the bodies that I have owned. The GF1 sounded almost film like...nice, GF2 was the loudest that I owned, a real clik clak machine, GF3 a nice softer sounding shutter, G5 sounds the weediest, it feels like a different camera when I use the electronic shutter, E-PL5 the nicest and quietest out of the lot.
  3. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    gosh darren, im sorry to post such a different opinion, but in my experience my epl5 has one of the noisiest, 'shocking' shutters ive ever used. every time i fire it i feel self concious. if it werent for the unbeatable compact size and very useful articulating screen, and the low cost at which i purchased it, i would have sold it for that reason alone.
  4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't find the sound of the shutter of my PENs any louder than my Nikon DSLRs. It is a very different sound as there is no mirror. I personally like to hear the shutter.
  5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Yakky!

My E-PL1 and EM-5 are both considerably quieter than my D300 was - and it's not always a benefit.

With the D300 if I wanted a subject's attention and I had the grip installed I could put it on "rock 'n roll" and fire off 9 fps and the shutter noise made 'em look just about every time :2thumbs:.

I've not noticed that :43: are noisy critters...I must need to get out more...:biggrin:.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    my em5 and em1 are nice n soft
    my epm1 and my old ep3 (no longer have ep3) were both LOUD
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The shutter on a DSLR should be better insulated because of how far back it sits inside the body. The shutter on a mirrorless camera also has to do twice the amount of work (close-open-close-open) during a shutter release. Having said that I would put the E-M5 shutter up there with the most pleasant sounding (i.e. quiet) focal plane shutters I have used. I even find leaf shutters a bit disconcerting because of how little noise they make!
  8. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    My E-M1 is definitely much quieter than my 7D. It's not really a click, more like a dull clunk - almost like a cloth shutter. It's really hard to hear that it's actually cycling twice to accommodate the close-open-close-open cycle

It's even quieter than my Pentax Spotmatic.

On the other hand, my wife's G2 makes a gnarly zzzt-clackzzzt...

On my old Nikon D100 and my even older Nikon F60, the shutters would gong. There was some odd resonance that would make a significant "bong'ing" noise during the shutter cycle.
  9. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    The very bestest Nikon shutter sounds come from those C.S.I. Nikon cameras. Doesn't matter which one they use, it's always

And in the earliest shows you can hear the motorized film winder...on a D200 :2thumbs:.

If I weren't such a trusting fellow I'd suspect that they do something to the sound in post production...

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    As far as shutter sounds go, of digital cameras I've used, the X-E1 has been my favorite. My 5DII is pretty loud by not as noticeable as my E-PL1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    No good way to record them here, but I did have a listen to each in the still of the night.

My E-PL1 is the loudest with a very mechanical click, click sound.
    The E-PL2 is slightly quieter but still with a distinct mechanical click, click sound.
    The E-PM1 is about half as loud with sort of a quiet crunch sound to it much like the E-PM2 in Amin's video.
    The E-P5 has just a quiet thup, pup sound.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The E-M1 sounds refined and smooth to me: the A7R sounds 'slow' and is a lot louder, but not as bad as some people make it seem. The 5DII shutter was only a slight but quieter to my mind.

I would quite like a truly silent shooting body as well, but if I'm honest it don't shoot in situations that require silent shooting much at all.
  13. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I love the sound of the GF1. The E-M1 is nice and quiet. I agree with mattia on the A7R. It's louder than my E-M1, but not as bad as reviews have made it out to be. The sound is slow, almost medium format-like. I never really cared for the sound of my 5D Mark II, I thought it had a rather clumsy sound (very nice camera, though).
  14. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    I like the sound of my GX7, sort of a snick-ah. It's quieter than my old Pentax K-r, but I have nothing else to compare it with.
  15. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    m43 shutters loud. Not.......

Try an M9, A7 or anything ever made by Hassleblad.

16. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    The E-M5 has a really soft shutter if you put in the 1/8s antishock function in.

My GX1 seemed to have a significantly louder than normal shutter and it also induced actual shutter shock on my 14-42PZ. The E-M5 I have doesn't shock and I believe later production GX1s had softer shutters.

You want loud? Get a Nikon FM2 out and it on a nice solid wooden table and fire it off at 1/4000, you'll feel it on the table too. Still not loud enough? The A7R can go loud enough that you'll soften your images outright, you don't even have to do the table trick, you'll just be bolting on weights on it like one unmentioned person who runs a website was trying to.
  17. Dewi

Dewi Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    Lancashire, England
    Have to agree, the shutter on my PL5 is quite noisy, it's not quite as bad as my Canon 550D though which gives a little metallic "ding" as the mirror springs up. It sounds like Arkwright in "Open All Hours" ringing up a sale on his till :smile:
  18. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I do use the 1/8s anti shock feature on mine, it was one of the first things that I activated. Whether that has made a difference, I don't know. I do know it is quieter than the GF1, G5 just and the previously owned GF2.
  19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    My first ยต43's Oly. E-PL2 which was quieter than any DSLR I'd heard. Upgraded to the E-PL5 and the shutter sounded louder. Then settled on an E-M5 and it sounds the quietest and best of all three.
  20. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    For anyone interested the g6 shutter is much louder than the g5 shutter. The sound also seems to last longer. A clunk-click rather than just a clunk.