1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lots of interesting lightweights, but any clues as to when we'll see an upgrade on the G6 ?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Dave Reynell, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Now in its 19th month (introduced in April 2013) the G6 is starting (by modern-day digital camera specs.) to look a bit long in the tooth.

Does anyone have a clue when we might expect a G7 ?

Dave

Lumix G1, 12/2.0; 20/1.7; 14~45 (kit); Sigma 60/2.8 (a must have !)

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Good question. There were some rumors that G line will be discontinued or at least put on hold, with remaining GH3 stocks at discount to fill that price point for people who like that camera style.
    I was close to getting G6 but wanted something with more capable newer sensor, so passed.

3. bluepythons

bluepythons New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2014
    Minnesota
    I really like the G6 but it has its limitations too. I'm hoping the g7 brings some updates but I'm curious on what panasonics plan will be. How much separation of features does the lines need to have for them to keep the markets apart. In some ways the fz1000 is almost a next generation g series but without interchangeable lenses. Uses the same batteries, form factor is almost identical and layout. When I saw the new fz1000 I wondered if the g7 might follow that or will the just keep the GH line up and leave the FZ for the lower tier.

4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The FZ line is in no way a replacement of G series for many reasons. I am a fan of the G cameras and hope to see a G7 soon as well. A GH3 slightly shrunken with some updates would suffice for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bluepythons

bluepythons New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2014
    Minnesota
    Aside from the obvious lack of interchangeable lenses and smaller sensor size what are the other reasons. I'm asking sincerely as I'm new to the m43 platform and am curious what other benefits the g series would offer. I am fan too and hope for some upgrades in a g7 but just shrinking the gh3 wouldn't quite do it for me. I like focus peaking, but add a headphone jack and some weather sealing and Id be really impressed.

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'm with Spatula : a G1-sized GH3 would have been great ... here's hoping.
    Although it could be that the GH3 is the only model ever to have that Sony sensor ... wonder what's going to be next?

and ;
    Those reasons are quite enough. Those reasons are fundamental.

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I think Panasonic went a big overboard with the scale of the G6. It's a handsome camera and all, but it's not really noticeably smaller than a lot of conventional APS-C DSLRs. A Rebel SL1 or Nikon D3300 is a bit deeper, but no larger wider or taller.

I think that putting the guts from the GX7 (i.e. with IBIS) as well as the image processor from the GH4/LX100 into a body that's more G5-sized, retaining the large grip but without the excess hollow bulk or weird faux-pentaprism extension. Offset the lens mount a bit further towards the edge of the camera if you need to save size, it won't be unbalanced thanks to the nice big grip. 4K is obviously a tricky question, but I think it's pretty much necessary at this point. If Panasonic doesn't trickle it down into the market and make that capability synonymous with their brand early, Sony or Samsung or someone else will. Whether 4K and the heat dissipation requirements play nice with the IBIS, I don't know, but given the small format factor they've pushed it into with the LX100, I wouldn't bet against them. Differentiation with the GH4 happens in terms of video options and outputs, direct controls, weather-sealing, and general robustness of build.

Whether Panasonic can do that, and has any reason to do that, and sell such a camera for $699 at launch, I don't know...

8. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    In my opinion, in the hand, the G5 is still too big ... for what it is and what it represents.
    Edit : in some ways the G1/GH1/GH2 series feel more compact or more dense or just a bit better laid out.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Having never used those cameras (got into M4/3 with the GX1, and in large part to have a truly compact form factor), I'll have to take your word for it. I just used the G5 as an example because it's on camerasize.com and is objectively smaller than those other cameras you mention, haha. While still having a useful grip, that is, unlike the G3, which is barely better than my GX1 in that respect.

10. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Any reason not to get a GH3? Price will be same as a new G6-successor.

11. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I'm betting on March / April for some news. I don't have divine guidance about what will be announced. Maybe a GX8 or a G7 but not both.

My wife and I have G6s so I'd be happy if there will be a G7 when we need it. (or a G8.)

12. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I'm also a big fan of the Panasonic G line and looking forward to a G7.
    I have a G5 and the only reason I did not go to the G6 is that I don't find it a necessary upgrade.
    Sure G6 have the interesting Focus Peacking feature and a few improvements, but nothing that justifies me from upgrading my trusty G5.

I think that there are more fans of the G line series than Panasonic thinks.
    Because G5 price is dropping and there's no rumor of a G7, I'm thinking about buying a second G5 body (or a Olympus EM-10 + grip).
    I found the G5 to be just perfect in overall size. I love it's ergonomics and I don't agree that it is too big.
    I use my Panasonic 100-300mm lens on my G5 without any trouble. I doubt that a smaller body would be good to handle those longer zooms.
    To those people that don't like the faux-pentaprism, or think that G5 body is too big, they can buy the GX7 or the GM. Why end the G series with the argument that it's too big?
    The faux-pentaprism it's an excellent solution to hide the flash and I think it had's more beauty and balance to the design of the body.

I hope that Panasonic do not kill the G series.
    I'm slowly switching all my lens to Olympus. If I try an Olympus camera I may like it and switch completely to Olympus...

Waiting for the G7...

• Like Like x 1
  13. bluepythons

bluepythons New to Mu-43

Nov 24, 2014
    Minnesota
    I agree but he mentioned "many" so I was wondering if there were more that I wasn't aware of. Being new the platform I am trying to learn as much as I can about the m43 system.

14. Dave Reynell

Dave Reynell Guest

Lots of interesting points. Thanks guys !

Will just have to wait and see what happens.

Dave

15. finerflower

finerflower Amin Fangrrl

Dec 11, 2013
    New Jersey (South)
    Holly
    I thought Pany wasn't continuing the G line anymore. Cant say why I know this or where I heard it. From what I understand, in my own words, ...The look of the G6 is too SLR like, the retro styling of the Gx7 is more in line with what the market wants, not to mention that the GX7 is a fantastic piece of equipment. The GF line is the other option for the customers that went for the G line. Its the GF line that needs a refresh with an updated sensor..

Now... I may not know what I am talking about, except for the face that I am G6 and a GM1 owner. I like my GM1 better and I wish I had the GX7 instead of the G6.

16. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    With GH4/GM1 selling far more unit than G6/GF6 with far higher margin I can see why Panasonic put it on hold. I think G6 is a flop consider how few people bought it compare to G5/G3... I used to have a G6 mind you, it is really good value for money if you are into video on budget. For still the fallen price of E-M5 killed it completely.

17. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I also think the appearance of the G6 damages sales, especially in the shops next to less ugly equipment and some downright sexy cameras.

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I really hope to hear about the release of a G7 camera soon, because I'm on the fence to jump to an Olympus OM-D camera.
    I believe I'm not the only one that prefer an entry level mini-DSLR like camera, with a proper grip and full articulated LCD.

Olympus have the high end EM-1 and EM-5 cameras, and the EM-10 for the serious amateur or entry level.
    So, why Panasonic could not have also the GH4 as the high end, and a G7 for the entry level or serious amateur?

19. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    I just bought a G6. I know I am in the minority but I like the ergonomics of the G6 over the GX7. I have been waiting for the price to drop and today I pulled the trigger. I hope they continue the G series.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Tadgh78

Tadgh78 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 25, 2013
    Ireland
    I have a G3 and am about to upgrade to a G5. I have never used a Gx7 but I must say i find the grip on the G3 is barely adequate for helping whield my P100-300. The Gx7 (an excellent camera in most other respects) barely has a grip at all and would surely feel almost unusable with a large heavy lens imo.

I am sure there must still be a market for a smaller lighter DSLR type camera, which is what the G series is, or was until it began to get ever more bloated in its latest incarnations.