Lots at Goodwill

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by drcolby, Nov 12, 2012.

1. drcolby

drcolby Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2012
    Someone has probably already posted this site:
    shopgoodwill.com - Categories

But I stumbled across this "Poor Man's e-Bay and find it almost as facinating reading as the morning papers used to be. I have not bid on anything but it looks like a great place to take a chance on an adoptive lens.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dfreezy

dfreezy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Great, now I have another site to hawk over to find a good deal on some manual focus lenses ;)
  3. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    There's some interesting discussion of Goodwill sales over at PF: Some serious photographer's kit for sale... - PentaxForums.com

Basically, everything is sold as-is, no hope of returns, and insufficient descriptions/photos to determine if anything is good.

Others have determined that Goodwill is only really safe if you are paying bottom dollar and are willing to accept the risk of total loss.

On the other hand, if you pay bottom dollar and score some sweet loot, then you could really love Goodwill.
  4. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  5. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    I have done very well at Goodwill online, but it's not as easy as it once was to cherry pick for good gear. Too many people know about it now, laugh. Competition on some things can be fierce at times. I've gotten a few duds, but I've also gotten a lot of great gear there too. Pay close attention to the pics. Do your homework on what they are selling well ahead of time and don't risk more than you can afford to lose. Watch the shipping. Some stores can be crazy about that, some are more reasonable.

Personally I like the west coast stores more for gear. They seem to know what they are posting and generally the gear is cleaner and in better shape. Some of the other stores are by contrast very careless about checking things out and posting accurate comments about condition. Most of them won't do much more than check that the cameras and lenses look good and that the camera seems to shoot, so bear that in mind. They don't usually have a budget for batteries and such so bid accordingly.

Only twice have they ever sent me a bad lens though older film cameras are hit and miss. There are some real gems to be had though if you're patient and informed. I just picked up 2 really good Viv primes there for like $5 and a couple of weeks ago I got a black Pentax KX film SLR in stellar condition with good 50 and extra 135mm lens for like $40. One of those Viv's usually goes for $45-50, the other for over $100 and a black KX in decent shape is a $150 camera so I can't really complain about the two bad lenses I got that I had to toss.

It all works out in the end. I think Goodwill is far, far better than Ebay though. I have a strict budget I try to keep to. Goodwill admittedly can make that hard for me sometimes, but I can't say it's not been worth it...
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I've picked up a couple antique brass lenses from them at stupidly low prices. One was pristine and worth 10x what I payed, the other was junk not even the optics could be saved. Shipping is also miserably slow at about 2 weeks. Great place for gems and diamonds in the rough but consider your failed buys in the purchase imo.
  7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    "No International Shipments" :frown:
  8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I used to trawl through their site for used lenses but since most listing have such poor photos I didn't try to bid on much. The few times I did buy lenses though, they turned out fine.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    When I tried to make an account they asked me which country. I chose Canada, naturally. When I tried to submit the info it told me something was "Out of Range". I was thinking probably the country...

If that is the case though, then why do they offer you that option instead of simply saying "United States Only" when you create the account?
  10. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I use to work in donations at Goodwill and I would put in soooo many good cameras into the estore box(shopgoodwill.com) that the ignorant electrical price guy would throw away. Once I pulled a Hasselblad out of the dumpster and watched it sell for only 100 or so(while I was not allowed to bid on it because I worked there :frown:)I think I may of saved a good 10-15 Canon Canonets and more Kodak brownies than I can count.

P.s. just on a side note be careful about donating to Goodwill, most people don't believe me when I say how much they throw away(some stuff does get tossed because it might be in too bad of condition to resale but there are a lot of good items that get tossed for no reason other than they don't want to deal with it.)
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Happens to me all the time ... not allowed to do a lot of stuff because I'm deranged.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mogul

Mogul Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Interesting site. Not only are some items "enticingly" presented; some are simply mis-identified. I just saw a color meter described as a light meter. I really doubt that I could have any faith in their way of doing business. Alas, it appears that this site is not for the less adventerous buyer.
  13. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    Last week I picked up a vintage black M42 mount Vivitar 220 SL camera, a really good converter, two Vivitar primes, a 50mm and a 200mm, and what I believe is a vintage all leather case, all in near immaculate condition for the stunning price of just under $20 shipped. (The shipping cost me more than the auction win. That was only $7.25.) I just got it today and I was very pleased to see it was all in very lovely condition. The camera has a stunningly bad factory paint job but otherwise looks near new, as do the lenses.

In Viv primes I now have a 35mm, a 50mm, a 100mm, a 200mm and a 300mm, most of which came from Goodwill online, none of which I paid more than $10 for, if that, and all of which were in near new shape. I still want to see if I can pick up a 24 or 28mm wide angle one day to complete my set but I have to say Goodwill Online has been darned good to me lately, laugh...
  14. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
  15. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I've gotten some really great deals on gear from shopgoodwill.com. Got a Minolta XG9 with a pile of really nicely cared for lenses and a flash, and a working Polaroid Land Camera 103 with a bunch of accessories and flash bulbs too for very little money (in both cases, the shipping was more than the actual item cost).
  16. Tothepetercopter

Tothepetercopter Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    That place is near horrible. No returned, little to no descrip, and people bid items to their max and more (Even beyond ebay prices) sometimes. I have gotten some decent deals but nothing to write home about.

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Apparently the treasure at the end of the rainbow is at my local Goodwill. I wonder what it is? :)

PB179555 by BAXTING, on Flickr
    • Like Like x 3