1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lost touch screen focus on G3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kenc, Jan 5, 2012.

1. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    I have done something which means that when I touch the screen, my G3 no longer focuses. Instead, it presents the spot focus area and invites me to change its size or move it. I have spent some time with the full manual but can't find out how to change this back. Can anyone help?

2. Obeaman

Obeaman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Hi Kenc
    Use the main menu button, Go to the Custom Menu, select tab 6, select touch settings, scroll down to Touch AF. Hope that does it for you.
    Brian

3. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    thanks brian, but no, I had already tried that, touch AF is turned on in the menu but for some reason i get the focus area size screen instead of the camera simply focusing.

4. Obeaman

Obeaman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    You have got me there, I did not think that you could get rid of the focus area size screen. I thought that the focus guide always came up and focus was made at the point you pressed. It would be nice if the focus size sceen could be turned off and focus was made without showing the sizing screen however I can't find anything on it in the manual.
    Perhaps someone else has found a away.
    Brian

5. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I sometimes loose the iso button and I just reset the settings.

6. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    doubt creeps in...

...as to whether it ever actually did what I want, or whether I am a victim of wishful thinking. I tried resetting, no luck. As a result of resetting I am now going carefully through the manual to re-establish my settings. I will report back if I succeed in getting the camera to focus by touching the screen. On reflection, it might not be a useful setting, as it would refocus when you push the shutter.

7. Obeaman

Obeaman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 1, 2011
    Kenc - maybe some confusion. When you have Touch AF turned on the Camera will focus and the focus box moves to where you touched. If you don't move the camera and you press the shutter button the camera will refocus but it will be at the place you pointed to, therefore there should be no problem.
    This feature may be best used when the camera is on a tripod I suspect and is most powerful when doing video as a Focus Puller, i.e. moving your focus point from one area of interest to another.
    As far as I can determine, the focus box will always come up when you touch the screen if you have the touch controls enabled. This would seem to make sense as it is letting you know where you selected and giving you the option to increase or decrease the focus area size.
    Brian

8. kenc

kenc Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2011
    All is now sorted...

...the Quick AF setting was what threw me - I had inadvertently changed its setting and that altered the Camera's behavior. Thanks for the help.