1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lost the lens cap off my 12-35 this morning...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Andym72, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    ... damn annoying, I've only had it a month. Took the dog for a walk in the park, took my camera along to take some snaps of him growing up, then walked home in the rain, and found the cap had fallen off somewhere along the way back (even possibly crossing a couple of roads). Which is odd because even though I had the camera under my coat on the way home, I also had the lens hood on so the inside of my coat shouldn't have knocked it.

Total bummer.

I'm in the UK, whats the best place to get a replacement?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Any camera store. Ask for a lens cap for a 58mm filter thread size. Don't bother spending extra on a branded Lumix one.. especially if you have a habit of loosing them.

3. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah, I agree, don't pay extra for a name brand cap. Do get a center pinch cap though, otherwise it will be difficult to take off and put back on with the hood extended.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I have heard that some people leave the stock lens caps to their lenses permanently in the box, and only use generic cheapies in the field. I have been considering the same approach...

5. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    First thing I do, whenever I buy a new lens, or even a used lens that came with the original caps, is to buy a new generic cap of the same size and put the original caps away in a safe place.

dp

6. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Hmm, that seems a bit odd, what is the purpose of saving the caps? To retain resale value? If so, Its not really something you should worry about. I've sold hundreds of lenses on eBay (I got into buy/selling used gear to fill some gaps in freelance work), and having the original caps or not has never had a noticeable impact on the price I can sell gear for, maybe give or take a few dollars.

On the other hand, I did throw my 12-40mm cap back in the box almost as soon as I got it, because its one of the worst cap designs I've ever used. I replaced it with a 62mm Tamron center pinch that I had laying around.

7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You could also consider a lens keeper... In expensive adhesive mount on one end and an elastic band on the other end of a string that goes around the lens body.

I think they cost $2USD or something like that.

I don't use lens keepers because I don't use lens caps... but they do keep them from getting lost. I use one to keep from loosing the VF-2 from getting lost.

8. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I buy doubles of all my caps in advance of losing any. I don't want to be caught some distant place and have no cap to replace a lost one with. By the same token, I remove
    all caps, front and rear, when shooting with intent to swap lenses.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I actually hate the stock Lumix caps. The curve and the raised lettering prevents it from sitting flat on a table, which is annoying. Buy a cheap pinch-cap or 3 off eBay and leave it at that.

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I always carry a spare with me. I have lost too many.

11. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    What do you want a lens cap for?
    Do you still have the plastic over your car seats? And that sticky tape like stuff on your TV?

An old sailor once told me boats are safe in the harbour - but that's not what boats are built for.

Relax. Forgett about lens caps. Live a little.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Me, too.

To cut down on the number of spares I carry and to make lens changes easier, I have standardized on 52mm and bushed all my lenses up or down as necessary. So I really only have to carry one cap. Because of this, too, the OEM caps are generally in storage and I am using the $2 eBay variety on everything. All the eBay caps are painted da-glo orange too. This makes them a lot easier to notice when dropped. Lunatic fringe, I know.

• Like Like x 1
  13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you mean what it sounds like, no rear lens cap attached at all, then that's very bad practice. While the front element can sustain dirt, minor scratches etc and not affect image quality (and can be protected with a filter), the rear element is a completely different issue. The rear element should be protected at all times and the only time the rear cap should be removed is when it's about to be attached to the camera, or removed from the camera, and for the shortest time possible.

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Ack! I missed that sentence when I read through the thread.

I have double back caps and front lens caps on all my lenses, all the time. The double back caps allow me to change easily without juggling the caps. The standard 52mm front cap just goes from one lens to the other, again without juggling. This may take a few milliseconds longer than going totally naked but I think that protection of my glass is important. Obviously, YMMV.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've thought about making a set of those double-back caps but, on reflection I can see issues with that as well. In the places where I photograph, there's always a significant chance for all sorts of crud to get into the exposed cap (even in the camera case) and then onto the rear element or inside the camera body. The single cap, while it can be awkward at times, ensures that only clean surfaces ever face each other.

16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Yes. That's a legitimate worry. In many tens of years using double back caps, though, it has remained just a theoretical worry for me and has never turned into a practical problem. Remember, you easily look into the back cap you're about to attach your lens to, so you can look for and blow out any crud that may have crept into it while it was in the camera bag. I don't think I'd run around a windy desert with back caps exposed, but when they are in a closed camera bag they are somewhat protected from the crud.

Life's a tradeoff. I suggest that you try making and using a couple of them and see what you think. Compared to most photography experiments, it's a pretty cheap one.

17. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I have given it some thought and might give it some more.

18. mauro

mauro Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    near Venice, Italy
    If you go to the fairy pools in Scotland you'll find my 12-35 cap :D

19. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I've got the double backed rear caps. They also make it simple to stack two lens in my bag for transport without worrying about them banging each other.

Caps, bayonet lens hoods and hot shoe covers - they've all disappeared, apparently with the millions of pens, paper clips and socks I've lost over the years.

20. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    My local store stocks the original caps. They are typically about three times the cost of generics. I don't really see that paying for OLYMPUS to be on the cap is worth the cost.