lost, stolen, whatever...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by mzd, Mar 1, 2013.

1. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    ugg, i guess this is just venting...
    i played a show last night and brought my GF1 with the 20mm and the Oly 45mm lenses. i took some pictures of the opening band with the 45mm and then set my camera up on a tripod in the back with the 20mm and recorded video of the our set.
    we had a table in the back and i left my small case on the table which happened to have the 45mm inside, along with the LVF1 and an extra battery. it was sitting right next to another video camera case, and a band member's laptop was sitting right on the table as well. the show wasn't packed (though there was a decent turnout) but pretty much everyone there knew a member of one or the other bands playing. anyway, when i went to pack up at the end of the night, my case was no where to be seen.
    it just doesn't make sense that it was deliberately stolen. :43: is pretty rare in this area and it just isn't recognizable like Canon or Nikon gear. no one who wasn't really familiar with this system would have any idea on the value of the stuff in the bag; and the battery and VF1 only work with a couple Panasonic models anyway.
    i left a note with the bar and sent messages to as many people as i could track down (via the FB event).
    i'm just really upset, mostly with myself i guess. i'm usually very good about not leaving my camera gear (or music gear) unattended. it's just that the camera wasn't even in the case and there was so much other stuff on that table. i imagine it was just that someone accidentally grabbed the wrong bag - it could even be mistaken for a purse or hand bag. the case was a small Lowepro Adventura 100.
    but now i'm out over $600 and my small lens collection is now reduced by 1/3.
  2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Bummer !!:frown:

Hopefully it was an accident, and you get it returned :thumbup:
  3. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    That sucks.. Sorry to hear about this. Just like Savvy said, hopefully it was an accident and somehow find a way back to you.
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Oh wow, I'd feel sick, myself. So sorry! I do hope it was a mistake and you get your gear back. Last fall, I went to a car museum with my EM5, EPM1, 17 & 45 in my Domke F-5XB. My friend (not a photog) got bored, sat on a bench and offered to watch my bag with EPM1 and 45, while I shot with the EM5. A while later, I saw my friend wandering around on the other side of the giant room, no camera bag in sight. I literally flew to that bench with my heart pounding. Fortunately everything was there untouched. My friend had totally forgotten about my gear. I've been thinking about getting insurance for my photo gear, because I can't focus on shooting while being paranoid I might lose some expensive gear. Fingers crossed you get your gear back ... and soon!

Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm with Savvy, hopefully it'll find its way back to you.

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I bet that they kept the bag because that's what they really wanted, and just dumped the contents in the garbage.
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Post an ad on craigslist. I once dropped my my camera while riding my scooter. I looked on craigslist and apparently someone found a camera that day. I emailed him a description and the person had my camera! I got it back and tipped the guy $20. :wink:
  8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yeah, check local dumpsters, craigslist, etc for it. I would also suggest contacting your insurance company about an extended rider for your photography gear. I know for mine, it covers accidental, loss, mysterious disappearance (aka. no police report), etc, and is only $9/yr for each 1K covered. All they did was ask me to provide a list of what I wanted covered, and the replacement values for each.
  9. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    This is going to be my solution for a bit of piece of mind:

Stick-N-Find Stickers

They were just funded on indiegogo earlier in the year, but I think they are taking orders too.

In a nutshell, I plan to stick one in my bag whenever I am out. If it leaves my vicinity (you can set the range), it will alert my phone and also light up and buzz. That should be enough attention to give you a chance to get your bag back!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    That bites I hope you get your stuff back.
  11. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    thanks for the sympathies and the suggestions. i did post an ad in the Craigslist lost & found section. i guess :43: isn't as rare as i thought - as i looked though Craigslist i saw one OMD for sale, and someone was pretty desperately looking for that exact lens (Oly 45) with three different WTB posts in January. but the odds of that person being at my show last night are crazy slim.
    oh, my 20mm lens cap was in the bag too. :dash2:
    those Stick-N-Find stickers look pretty cool...
  12. KAB

KAB New to Mu-43

Feb 19, 2013
    Indiana / Ohio
    Aww that's so disappointing, sorry to hear. .

I'm not sure if this implied in the suggestion of checking craigslist, but you may also want to check the "For Sale" section of craigslist in case someone decided to make some money off of it. However, if you saw it, I really am not sure what you'd do from there...
  13. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    oh, if i see one listed, i am certainly going to get in touch with them. it would be difficult to prove it was mine, but i could ask a few questions that might give me a good idea.
    i would ask if it came with the packaging (i still have that) and if it came with the lens bag. Oly doesn't include a lens bag, but it was in the lens bag for my Pany 20mm, so if they say it they will throw in a Panasonic bag then I'd say it was mine.

maybe this will be a Karmic test - right before Christmas I found a stranger's iPhone and I tracked them down and got it back to them.
  14. Zariell

Zariell Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    Bountiful, UT
    Do you not have the lens serial number? If not first thing I would suggest is getting all your numbers for your gear written down and photos o the gear as well.
  15. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    yes, i just checked and the serial number for the lens is on the original box. so i can definitely prove it is mine if it were to show up somewhere. not sure about the LVF1 - i haven't checked that box yet.