lost OMD Em5 eyepiece EP-10 eyecup

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sailor15, Feb 4, 2013.

1. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    I really like my OMD Em5 as a travel camera....however I had it out in the rain before I realized that darn eye cup was missing....it must have come loose with just simply putting it back and forth into my bag.....so some water entered my camera view finder area...I panicked at first...but it dried out..or visibly went away quickly....do I need to do anything else other than replace that cheesy eyepiece? I don't really want to send my camera off right now because I am about to begin a photography course....any suggestions?

I really like the camera...but that eye piece is now a nuisance and an "achilles heel" for an "outdoor rugged" camera!

thanks,
    sailor 15

2. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Lost eye piece....is camera damaged?

How can I determine if the viewfinder/camera is damaged from rain on missing eye piece.....the camera "appears" to be working fine....

Thanks

Sailor15

3. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    The eyecup should have nothing to do with the weatherproofing. It's only for eye comfort and blocking a bit of stray light entering the viewfinder. If your camera is working fine I'd forget all about it.

4. sailor15

sailor15 Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2012
    Thanks for reply....but I could definitely see a "foggy water circle" on the view finder....
    But since it is working ok I am hoping camera was not compromised....but I will now be compulsive about checking that darn eye piece....

I really appreciate your thoughts

5. alvinksu

alvinksu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    New York
    I lost mine 2 months ago, so i got a new one. I spot glued it. But then, the plastic just broke from bumping into my shirt. What a terrible design. Cheap Plastic!

6. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I lost mine only 4 days of use, then I bought the ep-11, at the time I can't find any ep-10 in-stock anywhere, but now I feel good with ep-11, much easier too use, but it's bigger.

7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I lost mine twice and don't wanna buy it again .
    It's useless piece on OMD and Olympus should have provided extra one .
    Cheers

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm afraid isn't just an Olympus problem as other brand cameras do it too. I lost my E-P11 eyecup & bought another recently.

9. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Olympus may have changed the design in recent months. I bought my OM-D in February and the eyecup is fixed very firmly and has never come off! But people who bought their camera last year have been losing eycups almost daily!

I wonder if anyone can confirm my suspicion?

10. Ross the fiddler

It is a firm fit, but it depends on how you use it. I lost my deep eyecup (E-P11) as I was using the sling strap & it would have swung past my my leg knocking it off as I was struggling with everything else on the day.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I lost my 10 replaced it with an 11. Ned suggested a bit of tape in the eyecup's fitting slot/groove. I tossed in a very small slice of duct tape and haven't had any problems since ... and I'm pretty rough with my cameras.

Gary

12. Ross the fiddler

Maybe I should try that too.

13. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Put a flash on it. The eyecup can't come off then.

14. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Just broke the eye cup and lost the rubber part.

I think it got snagged on my pants' belt slot.

Why the heck did they design the eye cup like this? :mad:

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. It took a year for my EP-10 to pop off (from an early build E-M5 purchased in April 2012) and that was only the result of some rough shoving into and removal from a backpack while on holidays, so it was my fault really. No problems before then when stowing the camera normally.

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I had the same problem with Nikon DSLR's until I switched to m43. I had to spot glue on the D100, D90, and D5200. It's not just an Olympus problem.:frown:

17. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I did not have this problem when I was shooting Nikon since the D700's eye piece was screw type. :smile:

18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here with D2H.

19. lakota

lakota Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2013
    ireland
    Roger
    mine was always lifting off on the right hand side eventually it came off without me noticing so lost it, very bad design on the part of olympus and they should replace them in my opinion