Lost my USB Cord

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by woof, Mar 16, 2012.

1. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Cannot find my USB cord (E-PL3). Purchased a new lens that requires firmware update. My manual is missing as well...

Questions:

1. I have seen indications that the cord is proprietary. True?
    2. Anyone have the correct part number? (Actually Olumpus UK has it listed as a part of the site as CB-USB6 USB Cable - can someone confirm?)
    3. I looked on Olympus site. The cord that LOOKS correct for my camera is out of stock. Anyone know where there is a reliable source for OEM on this?
    4. Anyone know of a source other than OEM that DOES work and specifically that has been used for a firmware upgrade successfully?

Thanks in advance.

Seaain

2. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I've had tons of different Oly cameras, p&s and mft. They have all used the same cable, sort of a fatter mini-usb. Find any olympus cable, and it should work. Try a file transfer before you try the f/w update, first to the card then from the card.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    There's mini-USB, and there's micro-USB. You probably need the micro-USB, it's flatter than mini-USB, and also less common.

There's another type even more rare called mini-USB type B, I've only ever had one device that had that.

4. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    It's not micro, and it's not mini. Olympus use their own cable. From some quick googling, it looks like the e-pl3 has the usb6, same as a lot of other olympus cameras.

Here's the cable you want on Amazon.com:http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B007IDD5YA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1331910553&sr=1-1

It sounds from your post like you're in the UK, if you do a search on amazon.co.uk for olympus cable or e-pl3 cable you should turn up something similar for a similar price.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

5. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

1. Search on eBay UK for "USB Olympus E-PL3".
    2. Prices from £2.99 including postage.
    3. Problem solved.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Aftermarket spares are available cheap on ebay all the time. I got one and it worked fine on both my E-PL1 Pen and Evolt E-500. Since around 2005 it appears all Olympus E series cameras and Pens use the same design USB cable.

7. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    it was also the same on the mju I bought in 2003ish, and the tough 8000. I think most oly cameras use the same USB cable. If you know someone with an olympus camera, and you just want to update the f/w, borrowing the cable could be quicker than waiting for shipping.

8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    That's mini-USB type B, my BlueAnt BT headset uses that.

9. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    does it have the same pinouts? sometimes they mess with them. I had a problem like that with an old HTC phone that wasn't compatible with some mini-usb headsets because they had some of the lines swapped. might be you can get power but not data, or maybe nothing. It depends hoe they've wired it.

10. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    It might save you a few bucks to just get a USB SD card reader, which can be had for about $3 online.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    I think the problem is that he wants to update the firmware, so he needs to connect the body to his computer. I don't think it's possible to manually flash a new firmware from the SD card.

12. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Unlike the Panasonic bodies, the Oly bodies update via USB only. That's a bit of a pain.