Lost My Camera, Need New One...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tjdean01, Jan 10, 2015.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    My perfect mint PM2 has been stolen with the 20mm attached. Remind me to never go back to Detroit! I have too many lenses and love the size and versatility too much to abandon the format, although I am getting a Sony FF camera in the near future once I decide if I want the A7, A7 mk2, tiny RX1R, or something humpless that might be announced soon (I like the small size of no hump).

Considering I'm getting a full frame camera, if I get one of the larger ones, like an A7, I wouldn't necessarily need the top of the line m4/3s camera. I was simply planning on keeping the PM2, which was perfectly fine except for the image quality-degrading 2-axis IBIS. I saw 2 weeks ago they were selling new for under $200. I missed that boat. PL5 is generally more money and thicker with no real advantage in my case. That black & silver PL7 is aesthetically pleasing and has 3-axis IBIS. This is the THE camera if I were allowed to have only one. Best combination of size and features. I wish it were cheaper but $500 isn't a bad deal (but not cheap when you're about to shell out $1000 or more for FF). Finally, I could get a GM1 and have it be tinsy. But then again, a bit more money and no real advantage over the PM2.

So, it's a PM2 ($250), GM1 ($350), or PL7 ($500). Smaller the better, of course, but size comes at a feature disadvantage. I'll probably buy new as I don't like scratches. What would you guys buy?
  2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'd look more into used instead of writing them off, my GX1 was technically used but had nary a scratch, and the savings is definitely significant enough to warrant the extra effort.

EPM2 is still a great value, but the GM1 is pretty advantageous size wise. Out of curiosity what are you planning on lenswise?

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

3. KBeezie

KBeezie Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    I'm assuming you have no other lens or accessories after the camera was stolen since you're looking at a Sony.

I'm with agentlossing, the PM2 is still a strong camera, just not for someone like me who likes most of the buttons on the outside, and I've been spoiled by my E-P3's touch OLED display (funny enough you can get that now for about the same price you quoted the PM2, but course it's a bit older).

But I'd also say the PM2 because you're already familiar with it.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Only the 20mm was lost. Still, shame, seeing as you seem to really favour compact lenses. I got a GM1 as a secondary m4/3 body (extremely cheap deal with PL15), as it filled in the gaps of my E-M5 nicely. It's a very discrete camera with small primes. The pop up flash is actually really useful for social events as you can tilt it for bounce (unfortunately no remote flash capability and poor sync speed at 1/50s). It has pretty nice video. You've already got a 12-32 with OIS (works better than the E-PM2 IBIS) as well. The shutter is both a blessing and a curse - electronic is nice and quiet and allows 1/16000s (fast primes yay), but can show banding with artificial lights. It also doesn't work with adapted or manual lenses (e.g. 7.5mm FE), limiting you to 1/500s for those.
  5. bruinhoo

bruinhoo Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 17, 2014
    I do know the feeling, having had my own mint Panny G5/14-45 stolen earlier in the fall - albeit in a fairly nice California suburb rather than in the motor city.

Buying another PM2 is probably the 'smart' move for the reasons that KBeezie already mentioned, but looking back at my own experience, you might feel better buying one of the alternatives. When I was waiting to pick up my replacement (factoring that my budget was more limited than I assumes yours to be), I felt that I did not want to buy the same camera to replace my stolen model under the reasoning that I would be thinking "I spent $xxx on the exact same camera I used to have because some idiot swiped my old one". Not the most logical way of making a decision, but something to keep in mind.
  6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Nice and small though the GM1 might be, I found it clearly too fiddly in use, and I say this coming not from the PM2, but the PM1, which in its minimalist ways can be a little fiddly, too. The GM5 is much improved (because of the placing of the control dial), though the screen is smaller, and it's probably too expensive as a secondary body/system base. But if size has the highest priority, I'd take the GM5 over the GM1 any time. In your case, you'd get the EVF as an added bonus.

However, of the ones named, and apart from the quite sensible move of getting another PM2, I'd go for the PL7. You get improved handling (the control dial is great and in a much better place) and a decidedly better screen that can be tilted (though I don't care for that selfie position one bit). All things considered, at this time the price-to-quality ratio of the PL7 is very hard to beat in my opinion, especially if you don't need/want an EVF.

7. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    :p Course to offer perhaps an alternative experience.

Many years ago (Well feels that way), My Canon Digital Rebel broke (the first one, 300D, 6.3MP, as before that I had a Canon Powershot G3, and before that Elph S110, and before that a Kodak DC3200, and nothing before that).

I was getting jitters just from not shooting anything and this was of course before smartphones were anything handy for snaps really. So what did I do? I went and purchased a Kodak Pony 135, 35mm little film camera from a thrift shop for $2 and shot off a roll of Kodak Tri-X 400 for the first time and learned how to develop it myself in the bathroom, and eventually printing that out (no prior experience just going off info on the net and some tips from my co-worker).

That led me to acquire some beauties like the Canon P, Hasselblad 500CM, Mamiya RB67, and so forth until I could get the Canon Digital Rebel fixed.

It was also because of that detour that I discovered this Olympus Pen-FT with a 38mm lens that I got in trade for a 1920s Rolleiflex that I repaired that I was given in trade for a Rollei 35S that I repaired.

It shortly after that that I upgraded to a Pentax K10D DSLR because it was easy to adapt some of the manual focus lens I had been collecting that were kind of a pain to adapt to the Digital Rebel, and likewise the Pen-FT could be adapted to those lens pretty easily including Pentax M42.

So fast-forward a little and I'm in the market for another digital, and I remembered how much I loved the Pen-FT (I ended up selling it during some hard times, got decent money for it), and someone asked me if mine was a Digital Pen confused I didn't even know that Olympus had come out with a digital pen as I recall they kind of left the SLR consumers in the dust when they went autofocus from what I recalled. So I discovered the Olympus E-P3 and been in love with that format and size since then.

I know it's quite a tangent, but it started with a $2 Kodak Pony, and I probably would have kept trying to go along the Digital SLR route if I haven't gotten into film and used a lot of the smaller format cameras, rangefinders/half-framer/etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    If you have lenses without IS you probably need an IBIS body. I always though that the GM1 could be just too small to use.

Is there any real feature that you really need on the EPL-7? Peaking, wifi, etc. The E-PL7 is quite larger/heavier than the E-PM2.

How far is the "near future" for the Sony? After getting the sony would you still need a smaller camera to use, maybe even more often than the sony or do you think it will be left at home most of the time?

Saving on the body will leave space for the lens too.
  9. KBeezie

Sep 15, 2012
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Karl Blessing
    Another thing to consider is lens compatibility. IF I were planning on having two or more cameras, especially if I wanted to split up their usage and such, I would want my systems to share the same compatibility in lens and most accessories. Like a larger micro-4/3 body to be a companion to the smaller one. But mainly because I wouldn't be doubling up the spending for two of similar lens, and can always take the lens of my choosing with whatever body I felt appropriate for the event. (Also in semi-professional usage helps to have a backup, for me anyways, being able to switch to another body and use all the same lens if one fails or no longer has battery).

Course that's negligible if the smaller camera is only planned to be married to one lens for most of it's life (which seems like a waste when you consider the versatility of being able to take that small daily shooter and slap on some serious glass in a pinch for special needs).
  10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    I think the answer is pretty clear: You want the E-PL7 and it's now available at a pretty good price. It's bigger and heavier than the E-PM2 but it's not huge - still a nice balance of size and features. Get the E-PL7. You described it as "THE" camera so I think you know that's what you really want. Given that you aren't even sure which Sony FF body to get, just save for a few more momths as you ake your time deciding. It's not like the prices of the Sony bodies are going to go up with time, right? Besides, you may even come to your senses and eventually decide you don't eant or need full frame. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Sorry you had a bad experience while you were here - but I don't think it's a typical visitor experience (65 years in and about Detroit, I've never lost a camera although we did have a vehicle 'borrowed' back in the '80's which the police were able to recover).

These days, of course, one must maintain situational awareness nearly everywhere :frown:.

Since you note that the PL7 is the camera - I'd vote that you acquire one since the "opportunity" to get a replacement camera has arisen. The E-M5 was (and remains) the camera for me and I can't say that I regret the acquisition at all. May as well get what you want :biggrin:.

12. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I would take PL-7, definitely, out of those options. The selfie-LCD, you know :wink:
  13. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    One favourite combo I love to use is carrying a heavy FF with UWA lens and either gh3/em-5 with my PL25 f/1.4. You may rediscover different uses to make the best of whatever you shoot.

I'd base your decision on the happiness of usage and desired performance. Sounds like this will be a possibly a secondary system. Spending money will either go towards or away from your new camera. Near or distant "future" in new gear acquisition you will need something "now" for happiness. If you compromise you'll regret it. Depends how you are but I have preference to having buyers remorse spending more money. Compromising by saving $$ but regret if the product lacks your requirements.
  14. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Hey, everyone, good replies. The PM2 was my only camera. Paid $400 upon its release with the 14-42. I used it with all sorts of lenses, buying, trying, and reselling many. For shallow DOF I adapted a lot: 28/2, 40/1.8, 50/1.7, 135/2.8, 200/4, and even have a focal reducer. I only lost the 20, but will buy another.

In addition to these adapted lenses, which will do double duty when I buy the FF Sony, the following will be the lenses I plan to use with m4/3s, most of which I already have: 7.5, 9 BCL, 12-32, 15 BCL, 20, 45, 40-150. Very compact, low-cost kit. In fact, I bought every single native lens not because I searched for an desired that lens, but because I found a great deal. $199 for fish, $99 for 40-150, $75 for 14, $130 for 30, etc. I think a special sale like this--$180 for PM2 or $399 for PL7--would influence my decision one way or another! (I've pretty much ruled out the GM1 after remembering the 1/500 max shutter.)

But, at this point, it pretty much comes down to the PM2 being a bit shorter and thinner and weighing only 270g vs the PL7 (weighing 360g) and its 3-axis stabilization. If the PL7 did NOT have the flippy screen, something about which I could care less, the PL7 might be closer to the PM2 in size. I think the PM2 will drop below $200 again at some closeout sale before the PL7 will drop. At this point, the PM2 is still the smallest m4/3s camera with the normal shutter. I'm leaning towards that again (although it won't be as fun to get something new) if I can find a deal.