1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Lost images in E-M1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by GShooter, Aug 20, 2014.

1. GShooter

GShooter Mu-43 Regular

I took 2 images yesterday and about 30 more today on the same card. I closed the camera down as normal when I had finished shooting. Three hours later I decided I would run through the images to delete any I didn't want before downloading to the computer. The only image to show on the screen was the first one I had taken yesterday; I was unable to scroll through as normal. On turning the back button to the left it indicated that there was only one image on the card and this had a small green key on it, presumably indicating that it/the card? was locked. I downloaded to the computer and there was only the one image. I am unable to delete this image in the camera. Does anybody know what may be happening here and what may have happened to the rest of the images? I have not removed the card or altered any settings in the menu.

2. LeftyRodriguez

LeftyRodriguez Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2014
    Dallas
    Try a different card to see if it's the card dying (likely) or the camera (unlikely). To me, it sounds like the card is starting to flake out.

3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The most probable scenario is that your camera somehow got into erase mode via random menu buttons getting pressed, and everything was deleted except any images that had been locked. The green key indicates it was locked. Pressing FN2 in review mode toggles the green key. A protected image can still be deleted by a card format in either the camera or PC.

You can probably recover the 30 pictures that are missing with a recovery program. A simple to use utility is RECUVA. The download link gives you an option to take free version. This is pretty good and will work for simple deleted images. In the past, I've formatted cards and RECUVA could still find all the images.

If it finds nothing, then the card could be failing, but wouldn't explain how it knew how to lock an image using the Olympus protocol. Anyway, I would quit using that card if that happened.

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If that's what you are doing it can cause issues. I never delete images in the camera...I download ALL the images using a card reader, and once I know the images have been downloaded and backed up, I then FORMAT the card IN THE CAMERA. I haven't lost an image in since I started shooting digital, 25 years ago.

5. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I delete images frequently in the camera before downloading without problems.

6. JoJo

JoJo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    JoJo
    Yeah. What he said!

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I've had a lot of memory cards fail ever since I bought my first one in 1996. Never had a memory stick or XD card fail. and those 10MB ans 20MB PCMCIA cards still work, but I did had one compact flash go bad and at least a half dozen SD cards either fell apart or quit working.

I leave the SD cards in my cameras now and use USB transfer,

Digital for 25 years.Wow. What were people using in 1989? I didn't get interested in it til 1995, so I'm not aware of the really early stuff.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Back in 1989 they were using floppy disk...back in 1989 I used a Canon Xapshot which used a 2 inch proprietary disk to save analog still images (imagine one frame from a VHS tape):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joJSdfnT2Ig

The output from it was NTSC analog video (the yellow connector on a TV). I used an Amiga to capture and edit the images from it using a "video digitizer".

9. tweggers

tweggers Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    Seattle
    Terry Eggers
    Check the side of the SD card. You may slipped the sliding lock to the lock position.

10. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I had the Sony thermo printer for that thing... the bloody printer was $3000 and it was about the size of a VCR! I think it printed 3x5...

11. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    That hasn't been my experience. Deleting images from a card, unless the card is dodgy to begin with, should not cause those sorts of "issues".

12. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That would be my case & how I would put it too. The only time my cards had issues was when using the laptop SD port (using Win 8.0) & downloading with Olympus Viewer 3 & when I extracted the card while the program was running it caused card errors. Now I still use that method but I always close the program before removing the SD card from the computer without problems. Do strange, odd things & there is a chance of an error occurring, but stick to normal procedures & all goes well. I don't use the cable from camera to PC because of the risk of damaging the connector in the camera (which happened on an E520 in the past) & also wearing out the weather seal cover. I prefer to keep that for occasions when I particularly need it, such as remote cable or HDMI cable to view on TV, just for the fun of it.