Lost hot shoe cover off EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ted, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Well, it's finally happened, the hot shoe cover off my EM5 is missing! Just wondering if this actually matters or not/if it effects weather sealing? The port below/behind the hot shoe is still covered.

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It doesn't make a jot of difference. I have a small plastic box with nine of those covers.
  3. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Ordered one of those spirit level ones, my tripod doesn't have a spirit level and I find the inbuilt camera one a pain, so it'll be useful to have for landscape work anyway! Thanks.
  4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's only a shipping cover that's comes on just about every camera with a hotshoe (whether weaterproof or not) that EVERYONE loses at some point. It doesn't offer any weather sealing (unlike the AP2 cover just below the hotshoe which IS a weather seal).
  5. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    I lost mine too with the e-m10 and replaced with a spirit level one. It's gummy and thick, almost impossible to loose. The only issue is that it blocks the flash so I have to push it out a little to open the flash.
    A file or a cutter should probably solve the problem never found the time, not a big worry.
  6. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
  7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Do those things actually work or are they a gimmick? The viewfinder level can at least be calibrated.
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    They work, but I never needed them because my tripod has one built in.