Lost hot shoe cover off EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ted, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Well, it's finally happened, the hot shoe cover off my EM5 is missing! Just wondering if this actually matters or not/if it effects weather sealing? The port below/behind the hot shoe is still covered.

Thanks!

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It doesn't make a jot of difference. I have a small plastic box with nine of those covers.

3. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ted

Ted Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2014
    Tasmania, Australia
    Theo B
    Ordered one of those spirit level ones, my tripod doesn't have a spirit level and I find the inbuilt camera one a pain, so it'll be useful to have for landscape work anyway! Thanks.

5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    It's only a shipping cover that's comes on just about every camera with a hotshoe (whether weaterproof or not) that EVERYONE loses at some point. It doesn't offer any weather sealing (unlike the AP2 cover just below the hotshoe which IS a weather seal).

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I lost mine too with the e-m10 and replaced with a spirit level one. It's gummy and thick, almost impossible to loose. The only issue is that it blocks the flash so I have to push it out a little to open the flash.
    A file or a cutter should probably solve the problem never found the time, not a big worry.

7. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Do those things actually work or are they a gimmick? The viewfinder level can at least be calibrated.

9. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    They work, but I never needed them because my tripod has one built in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.