1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Lost cap for External flash connector

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Imjinman, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Hi

I could have sworn there was something on this in the forum but can't find anything with a search.

But I have lost the cap on the front of my EM1 for the flash connector. did someone mention you can pick up tighter ones on Ebay? Can you give me a link?

Also does it or lack thereof affect teh weatherproofing? I still want to get out there in the meantime!

Thanks!

2. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    i bought mine from aliexpress.com. they are univeral sized and may be advertised as nikon or canon sync caps. they dont seal well so i think it has nothing to do with weatherproofing

3. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Original Replacement Parts

Visit getolympus.com and choose products -> accessories -> camera accessories -> parts. Select EM-1 and you will get a list of the parts available for your model. Currently $5 plus shipping.

Lee

4. Imjinman

Imjinman Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2011
    Sydney
    Many thanks all. I live in Oz and so I will try via Olympus Australia, and can now give them a descriptor. So far no response (but to be fair only just sent them an email)

5. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Just get any PC sync socket cap. If it was the hotshoe cover, it's E-M1 specfic as it extends over the accessory port (I'd say just live without it), but the PC socket cap is a generic thing.

6. amanda

amanda Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi Imjinman - I lost the cover off the base of my E-M1 where the battery grip plugs into.

In Aus to get Olympus Parts contact Blue Diamond as they supply parts for us in Australia. I got this info off the Facebook AU Olympus page. I find if you ask these types of questions on the companies Facebook page you get a pretty quick reply versus email :)

http://www.olympus.com.au/Support/Repairs---Warranty/Spare-Parts.aspx

7. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    what I can't believe is paying $1500 for a camera and having pieces "fall off". Additionally, we sent my wifes camera in and they never bothered to put one on it. Seriously? I realize it is a minor nuisance but we take meticulous care of our equipment. Must've been lost in the flield as we don't use that port. Anyway, just a small gripe :) Love the camera.

8. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You're kidding about that right? That the hotshoe cover and accessory port cover are combined on the E-M1, and not two separate pieces like on the E-M5? If so that's one more reason to HATE the E-M1!

I use my E-M5 without the hotshoe cover all the time as I'm always going to studio shoots, and if the hot shoe gets dirty it's easy to clean...but the accessory port cover I ALWAYS leave it covered as I never use the "internal" flash or other accessories, other than an external microphone when shooting video, but I always replace the cover after taking the microphone off! The accessory port is hard to clean plus since there's voltage there it can be shorted out if it gets wet.

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    It's 2 pieces on E-M1.

Barry

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

10. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    I believe he's referring to the sync connector port...small plastic cap on the front the EM1...just ordered one myself...$13 after shipping from Olympus. Probably needed more just to keep dirt out.

11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    13$ can buy a bag of 5-10 caps from china. my replacement hasnt fallen off but if it does there are 4 more to take its place :D

12. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    How about falling off a $6000 D2X? Even my (borrowed) F5 was constantly losing the caps for the flash sync connector and the remote multi-pin. So much so that I ended up sticking velcro "teeth" to the outside, hoping that when they'd fall off, they'd stick to the camera bag or my clothes on the way down...

13. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I believe that it was one on my (refurbished) E-M1. I need to check again when I am back home.

--Ken

14. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

They are still two pieces, just that the flash shoe cover extends over the (capped separately) accessory port - see here:

http://rcdn.photographyreview.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/olympus-EM1-rear.jpg

• Like Like x 1