1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Loss of saturation when saving photo from Photoshop

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Tenpenny, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    I'm sure I'm missing something, or doing something wrong. Here's my situation.

If I process a photo in ACR and Photoshop then save the image (tif, jpg, png it doesn't seem to make a difference) the saved image when viewed through anything other than photoshop seems to be desaturated.

If I put the image into Lightroom, then export it to any format. The image appears the way that I intended with no color loss, no matter which app I use to view it.

Do any of you guys know what's going on with that? I appreciate any help you can offer.

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sounds like a color space issue. Perhaps editing in AdobeRGB and saving in sRGB or vice-versa.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    That's what I thought too initially. I'm fairly certain that I have all the check marks ticked appropriately. I have tried to get my workflow entirely to srgb but, sometimes do shoot in adobergb on accident. However, exporting to srgb in LR still gives me the result I'm looking for vs photoshop giving a desaturated result. Maybe they are just using two different algorithms for the color space. I had assumed that they would be the same as both are Adobe. But, assumptions bite me in the rear frequently.

4. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I would check and recheck your Photoshop color management settings. Not just your export settings but your workspace and display settings.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins

Thanks. Yeah, this is quite the learning experience for me. I'll go thru and make sure my workspace is in line. Right now in my color settings I do have it set to sRGB IEC######. I'm going to do a bit more googling and see if I've missed the boat somewhere there.

So, I have also discovered that if I use the "save for web" option and embed the color profile then I get good results and the image appears the way I intend. Meaning that there is no loss of saturation that I see when I do an export or a straight up "save as" I'm sure there must be a way to do that by default on export as well but, i'm missing it.

6. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I can think of several color settings in Photoshop that "it" might refer to. Some of which should be set to sRGB, others not.

Well, you are getting close then.

7. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    To be honest, for years I have always just skirted around this issue, always doing whatever I needed to without actually learning anything about what was actually happening. It's a good opportunity for me to finally understand what is actually happening with color space, color profiles and the corresponding settings in Photoshop. I appreciate the feedback here, it's giving me some direction on which areas I need to be investigating. I know my ignorance makes it difficult for you to even guess at how to begin helping.

LOL, maybe. I work in R&D testing, so it's always refreshing just to see a change that I can have control over, even on personal little hobbies here at home. It gives a little patch of solid ground in the problem to build out from.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    set your camera to sRGB
    set your RAW import to sRGB

that will mean you have no problems in workflow until you want to learn more

after that give up on 'save for web' and just save as ... make the destination JPG
    Make sure you've then converted to (not assigned) sRGB and then demoted it to 8 bits

you can make it into a massive complex monster, but you know its a simple story in the end

9. mpg01

mpg01 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    One thing I ran into was that I had some custom monitor color space setting in my windows OS and resetting that to the standard sRGB setting restored consistency across apps.

10. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins
    So, last night at home I opened an image and saved it as jpg. I had my issue with lost saturation.

Today at work on a different pc. opened the same image and saved it as a jpg. No loss of saturation.

It's gotta be just a stupid check mark in a box somewhere. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll track it down

11. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

When I was doing a lot of tech support, I used a lot of partial screen shots, especially in emails. It's so much easier than trying to describe what something looks like.

How to take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots

As far as the current problem goes, I don't use Photoshop any more, I get by with Lightroom and Photoshop Elements. They both have different, simpler color management settings than Photoshop. So I may not know what settings are correct even if I see the right screen shot.

12. Tenpenny

Tenpenny Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2015
    Nampa, Idaho
    Brent Watkins

Thanks Bruce. My main "go to" is also LightRoom. I use Photoshop when I know I'm going to be doing a bunch of masking. At the end of the day this isn't critical to me. It's just been getting under my skin. Now that I've been able to see that the problem is specific to my home photoshop installation, I should be able to start comparing menus side by side with my work installation until I nail it down.

Plus, I've got a bunch of stuff about color management bookmarked because now that I've got the ball rolling, it's fun learning about this part of the software and what exactly is going on with these settings. Even though I'm very much an amatuer when it comes to photography, I like the idea of having control of the appearance of my images. It'll make some interesting reading when I get bored.

13. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    It might be an issue with the chosen "rendering intent" in Ps's color settings, rather than an issue with the chosen ICC/ICM profile.