1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Loreo 3-D lens for mu4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Mar 10, 2011.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    has anyone seen results from a Loreo 3-D lens? they are made for most digitals, i posted here because i have an EPL-1....seems pricey..189$ ( i think )....curious about the quality...........and i'm working on my own cable release for an EPL-1 using EASY to find materials....couple of glitches to work out....if i get it working i'll post a set of directions and photos.....

2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi,

I have purchased the micro4/3 version a few days ago. So, if you have a little patience ... :wink:

If you are interested in 3D photography, take a look at this topic :

https://www.mu-43.com/f88/stereophotos-9355/

C U,
    Rafael

3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    recently picked up a Loreo 35mm on e-bay, with the viewer....waiting for warm sunny weather here in ny.....

4. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    Any news on the Loreo Lens?

I have a lot of interest in stereo photos and wouldn't mind giving it a go. Would love to see some examples.

5. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    re: Loreo 3D lens

i haven't seen anything about it..yet....i did pick up a Loreo 3D camera on E-Bay for around 20 $......finally was able to try it out...i really like the results...enough that i'll bring it on vacation with me in sept.....still hoping to see the review of the digital lens....there are two for M4/3 by the way...a first version and a second.....don't know which is better..if either one is any good......if anyone has one of these lenses please let us know what you think....thanks.....BAK......:thumbup:

6. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Did yoy ever work out the glitches on your DIY cable release?

7. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    Nope.....problems are minor...but annoying.......design centers around 2 bars that are used for lighting boxes, ( routed out to allow a 1/4 x 20 bolt (4 or 5 inches ) ), wing nuts , and some method of securing a cable release....the design is actually simple....it's just a matter of getting it to work.........the bolt acts as a spacer between the two brackets....the bottom bracket goes between the tripod screw and the camera....the other bracket slides up and down the bolt..with the wingnuts holding it at the correct level.....the tough part is attaching the cable release to the top bracket.....i've tried gluing a suitable nut to a fender washer....but i was hoping for something a little more stable...........believe me...this ain't rocket science......

8. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    OK, am I the only one who has this Loreo lens ???

First, it looks plain ugly on the G1, here's what you have to expect :eek::eek:
    (it made my G1 turn red with shame :biggrin:)

sized_042.

Second, it puts two pictures side by side on one frame. That means every half pic is 2000x3000 pixels in portrait format, even when you are shooting a landscape.

Tertio, in postprocessing, you need to separate those half frames, in order to input it in your stereophoto processing software.
    I'm using StereoPhotoMaker for that, a free software. Works well.
    Then you choose which output you want, anaglyphs (Red/Cyan glasses needed) or Side by side (Loreo Pixi 3D Viewer recommended) and safe the output file.

Here's a few examples with this setup.

sized_P1150266.

sized_P1150276.

sized_P1150282.

Fazit : it works (well) but I find it easier to make two different shots on a tripod with a focusing rail to move the camera between shots.
    This allows you to shoot also in landscape format.

However, LOREO is the better solution if you have moving people/objects in the frame.

C U
    Rafael​

• Like Like x 2
  9. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    yeah...you seem to be the only one so far......at least you have the option of side-by-side for the Loreo viewer, and/or anaglyph.....i didn't know that.....overall what are your opinions? is the lens worth the price and the photos the effort ? also, i see you bought the 2nd generation lens....any particular reasoon ? oh...it does make your camera look like that robot in "Short Circuit "

10. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Worth the price, worth the effort, .... that's very personal.
    I prefer to shoot landscapes in 3D, in landscape format,
    so, if there is nothing moving in the scene, I'll certainly shoot two pics on a focusing rail.
    Here's an example in anaglyph :

sized_P1140804.

But, with moving objects/people in the scene, the Loreo lens is the option to go for.
    I'll try to shoot something later today to show this ...

Stay tuned,
    Rafael​

11. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    i got the cable release to work...see the thread....having trouble with the pics though

12. HappyEisentrout

HappyEisentrout Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sandusky, OH
    That lens is terribly ugly but it could prove to be fun with moving subjects. Do you recommend it for the price?

13. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  14. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    As promised, I shot some "action" shots yesterday, with the Loreo lens.
    Here's an example in R/C anaglyph

sized_P1150800ana.

C U,
    Rafael