1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Loose Rubber Focus Ring? Pana-Leica 25mm 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Arvin, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    It seems that I've used the 25/1.4 so much that the rubber focus ring is now loose as if it has been stretched out.

Has anyone else had this problem or replaced it?

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That can happen, with the rubber warming up and stretching, the underlying glue begins to separate from the lens and eventually the glue loses its adhesion qualities. It's a similar issue as to what happened with the E-1 body rubber. It can be difficult to repair yourself, as the rubber could get overly distorted and the glue needs to be a special compound to work with the rubber and the plastic/coating on the lens barrel.

3. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    Gotcha, thanks OzRay.

I guess my options are:
    • Contact panasonic and see if they have replacement rings
    • Splice out the perfect amount of rubber from the loose ring, then epoxy it back to the lens.
    • Shoot as-is with a floppy rubber ring

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Don't use epoxy glue, as it hardens and that's not what you want. There are rubber glues available and when the E-1 was experiencing these issues, a few came up with suitable glues, but I can't remember what was found to work. The glue needs to be the type that stays flexible and is not heat etc affected. Olympus supplied replacement rubber grips with the correct double-sided tape that was used to attach the rubber grip, so perhaps Panasonic can do the same.

5. Jermonic

Jermonic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Denmark
    I fixed my 14-45 using the microwave and some luck with alcohol rubbing..... I think it was pure luck, it went from being able to freely turn around the lens, to being completely firm in place. Can't remember my exact procedure. :)

6. I have had the rubber come slightly loose on my PL25 when it is hot and humid, but it has so far returned to normal when condition became less oppressive. I also have a Panasonic Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5 4/3 lens which seems to use the same type of rubber on the zoom ring and which is also prone to loosening, so I'm suspecting that Panasonic has a long standing design issue going on with the type of rubber and adhesive they are using.

7. rstrader

rstrader Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    OMG! You put your lens in the microwave and turned it on? OMG omg

8. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    Perpinya
    i have 14-45 with same issue. i cut 1mm or 2mm and i did use glue, it's fine :2thumbs:

9. Arvin

Arvin Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2012
    After MUCH hunting and several run-arounds with panasonic phone support I got this email from them:

The part number for the item you are requesting is P06F230, which is
    available for $18.64. There is also a $6.95 -$16.95 shipping/handling fee
    within the U.S., as well as your local taxes which will be added to this
    order. Please note that our parts do not come with any instructions.

If you have any problems ordering parts from our website at:
    http://pstc.panasonic.com/ you may call us by telephone at 1(800)
    833-9626.

I hope this helps anyone looking for the same part.

-Arvin

10. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    Nice find. Perhaps some JB Weld will hold it in place in the future. (I'm only half serious about that. JB Weld might be a pain to clean up on plastic.)

11. bbien

bbien New to Mu-43

Apr 24, 2013
    My 25mm is doing this too, is it just as simple as pulling off the old ring and putting a new one in? Or do you have to take apart something on the lens first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk