Loose lens hood on Pansonic 14-45

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Glenn S, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    My 14-45 is a couple of years old and the hood no longer locks into place but is loose, has anyone else had this problem?
  2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I noticed quite recently that mine no longer locks on as positively as it once did, it certainly seems to be heading the same way as yours. :frown:

It's a lovely lens, though, and at least it does come with a decent hood (Olympus please take note). :smile:
  3. Glenn S

Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks, agreed it's a great lens, I may buy a cheap replacement and see if it is the hood or the lens itself.
  4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I purchased this used 14-45 lens with a 14-42 kit's hood, and they match perfectly. So I guess you can get either 14-45 or 14-42's hood if the current one's worn out.
  5. Glenn S

Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks for that, not sure if it is the lens or hood that has worn, a cheap replacement hood will either solve the problem or show that the hood mounting on the lens has worn, I can't tell by eye.
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Hi Glenn.

If you're not especially set on your replacement hood being a petal design...then check this hood out.

New Metal Wide Angle 52mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap | eBay

Nicely made and comes with lens cap to suite. I've tried it and performs well....really compact and so much easier to stow away in your kit bag when out for a shoot. I also like it because its so easy to use a circular polarizer with it and still turn the filter....something I could never get my chunky fingers to do whilst the petal hood was on.

BTW....I also bought the 46mm wide version and 46mm regular for my 14/2.5 and 20/1.7 (again both with included caps). I like to stow my lenses with hoods attached and caps on.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Glenn S

Feb 1, 2010
    Thanks, I may just give that a try. :thumbup:
  8. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I recently bought a used but genuine Olympus petal hood for my new 14-150 and it was fairly loose. I put a small piece of black electrical tape over one of the "catches" on the hood and it's much more secure now. I'm sure it will wear over time but when it does I'll just replace the tape. Unless you look closely you don't even see it.
    • Like Like x 2