1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Loose Lens Adapter Fix

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Brian Beezley, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

[​IMG]

I recently got a Minolta MD to µ4/3 lens adapter. The fit to my camera mount wasn't that tight, but at least it didn't wobble. However, the adapter would rock back and forth slightly when focusing. The diameter of the adapter hole for the camera mount pin was a bit too large. This was more annoying than inhibiting, but I decided to see if I could correct it.

The first thing I tried was shimming the adapter. Material from a metalized sticker had worked well on another adapter, but I didn't have any handy. So I tried plastic reinforcement rings, the kind you add to notebook pages. I cut them into little semicircles. They adhered well and increased the adapter tightness. Adding one over the pin hole with a slit for the pin stopped all movement. However, even though the material was very thin, it would have modified the focus since it spaced the lens slightly farther from the sensor. Focus had been right at infinity before I added the shims and I really didn't want it to change. So I removed them.

The next thing I tried was bending a copper wire to fit inside the adapter pin hole to reduce its diameter. This stopped all rotation, but evidently the camera pin didn't fully bottom. The camera blanked the LCD, thinking that a lens wasn't attached. I tried many modifications and just couldn't get this method to work.

I noticed that there was a tiny screw in the adapter. It stops adapter rotation just beyond where the camera pin engages. If I could make the screw hit the stop sooner, it should work with the pin to inhibit any rotation. What I needed was another screw with a fatter head, but I didn't have one. Nor did I have a tiny washer. So I made one with a piece of copper wire. In the photo the wire ends hit the stop. I positioned the wire until the pin just engaged and all adapter rotation ceased. I was careful not to overtighten the screw.

This is a pretty kludgy solution, but it worked.

Brian

2. unstable_rider

unstable_rider Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Land of Lakes
    Brian,

That's a great picture of your fix brother!

Holy Macro....

Your fix reminds me of my father, whom I affectionately used to call Frankenstein's machinist. I mean no jab, I loved my pop.

He filled his life with making things better, and never gave up. I don't think there is anything wrong with your fix.

I confess, I have not tried a 4/3 adapter yet. In the early 1980's, I used c-mount to bayonette adapters to run SLR lenses on commercial video cameras. Pretty much as you describe, the adapters were a tad rattly and loose.

Still they helped us get a job done, and we saw dual service from our SLR lenses. Back then, there was a company in California that machined WONDERFUL adapters, Century Precision Optics I think they were called.

I am pretty new to M/43, I wonder who's aftermarket or OEM adapters are simply the very best, and are not lacking in anyway?

I guess I have avoided trying them because of my experiences years ago with that type of thing.

As recent as last night, I was out taking night images in the city, and really wished I just had a fully simplified manual SLR lens I could focus myself, and just set the dang aperature and not worry about the camera "forgetting" what I asked of it when I turn the "wonder knob" and then come back to something I "hope" stayed programmed.

Good story, I love the fix, and again, your macro shot of your mod is Rock-star.

Direct me to any SLR- converter pics you may have shot with your adapter in use, perhaps I can be persuaded to try an adapter.

If anyone else has any experience or a lead on a M/43 adapter that is first rate, I might like to know about it.

All the best,

Paul

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I wonder what Heath Robinson would have to say?

4. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    I like DIY fixes, but this one kind of scares me. Just make sure that the piece of copper doesnt come loose in the camera. It could easily damage the sensor/shutter/Sonic senaor cleaner etc... Even small metal shavings from it could cause damage. You might have also messed up the tolerance of the adaptor, meaning that it might not fit some mu43 cameras.....not a big deal really if you only plan on using it on one camera.

5. Brian Beezley

I don't think the screw will come loose. But I hadn't cut one wire end very cleanly. Your remarks spurred me to recut it. Then I went over the area with a toothbrush to remove any metal flakes. I had seen some copper color on the black adapter metal, but I figured it was just rubbed-on copper, which is a soft metal. However, the color was no longer there after the brushing. I've updated the photo.

Thanks for your comments, Sam.

Brian

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Always good to have on OCD person around to make you second guess yourself :D You know those eyeglass repair kits they sell at grocery stores? They might have a fat head screw you can use so you can get rid of the copper piece altogether

7. Brian Beezley

That's an interesting idea, Sam. I don't know what the screw size is, but it's really tiny. Incidentally, it was extra long so the fat washer I made still left plenty of thread for the hole.

I forgot to mention that all of the mounting plate screws as well as the stop screw were loose when I received this MD adapter. I didn't notice right away and I wondered why the focus seemed rather unstable! My OM and Konica AR adapters arrived with tight mounting plate screws. I just checked their stop screws for the first time. The OM was tight but the Konica was loose. I think it pays to check all screws whenever you get a new adapter.

Brian