Looks like it's the E-P2 for me.

johnny9fingers

Mu-43 Veteran
Like many I've researched, studied, and compared photos until my eyes bleed unable to make a definite decision on what my next camera should be. Finally it came down to the Ricoh GXR and the E-P2. The larger sensor of the A12 GXR module has it's benefits being larger and greater dynamic range. But when push came to shove I realized the E-P2 would be fine. I rarely print larger than 8x10, and have been more than happy with the results I've had with my OM and XA cameras. Plus I can use my OM lenses, and any other old glass I feel like. So next payday I'll be placing an order for the E-P2/17mm and am relieved.
John

cosinaphile

Mu-43 All-Pro
i think im the biggest ricoh fan on this forum , but i think you made the right call
i followed the rumors until the gxr was released , if they made a m mount or screw mount module with a aps-c or aps-h sensor or gasp full frame , or a macro module that was at least f2 and didnt make the camera too huge, i would be saving my pennies to buy it , but its too little too late and way too expensive from ricoh , sadly

i love my ep1 its an awesome machine

oly ep1 pannygf1 ricoh gx200 ricoh cx1

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I too am a Ricoh fan (former GX100 owner and long-time GRD admirer) and an Olympus fan (loved the OM-2n and XA), and I think you've made a great choice :2thumbs:. Welcome to mu-43!

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Congratulations on making your choice John, I've enjoyed the E-P1 so much over the last few months. It's a heck of a camera.

Cheers

Brian

johnny9fingers

Mu-43 Veteran
The ability to use a wide variety of glass was a big factor in my decision. To be able to have access to the different qualities of Zuiko, Hexanon, CV, and Zeiss, just to name a few, will be a lot of fun. And I have heard there is this company called Leica that is supposed to make some nice lenses as well. ; )

Novaron

Mu-43 Regular
I have to consider getting this in addition to my G-1. The built in in-body stabilization would be a plus for using various other lenses over the G-1. The only issue is the cost,

R

rich s

i think im the biggest ricoh fan on this forum , but i think you made the right call
i followed the rumors until the gxr was released , if they made a m mount or screw mount module with a aps-c or aps-h sensor or gasp full frame , or a macro module that was at least f2 and didnt make the camera too huge, i would be saving my pennies to buy it , but its too little too late and way too expensive from ricoh , sadly

i love my ep1 its an awesome machine

oly ep1 pannygf1 ricoh gx200 ricoh cx1

After having the GRDI & II and also the GX100 & 200, I eventually persuaded myself that the sensor improvements of the GRD III, combined with the fast 1.9 lens would move image quality up to a new level. I was proved right - this discrete little cam now has great IQ and noise doesn't get ugly until 1600 ISO. BUT - its a fixed 28mm lens, and although perfect for most situations, often its too short, and there are no plans by Ricoh at present to produce an add-on lens to extend he FL (as there was for GRD I&II)

So - I use the G1 + 20mm 1.7 and the Ricoh, & carry these two cams around as a pair. Often I look for some grain in B&W, and at 1600 ISO the G1 delivers at very low light levels. The GRD III does likewise .... and NO changing of lenses, just pick up and shoot (the 4 snap modes of the GRD III helps enormously of course! :smile:

As for the GRX - so many different views and reviews, that I'd far sooner see where this system is going before laying out a very large lump of cash!

Forgot to add that an E-P1 is arriving very soon, so yet more cams to compare .... but I am curious to see how the Oly IG stands up to the G1.

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Hi Rich,

I think that in terms of IQ, being able to access the Olympus colour signature is worth a lot... Capture One will come close with the G1, but you can't beat Oly colour imho - either from Olympus Studio, or shooting jpeg.

The E-P1 just oozes style - it really is a classic body design... get yourself a soft leather strap though, the synthetic one in the standard package is yuck.

Cheers

Brian

johnny9fingers

Mu-43 Veteran
Well, tomorrows the big day. After work, I'll be placing the order for my Oly E-P2 with the 17mm f2.8 lens, and extra battery, and 4 GB SD card. I read Ken Tanaka's review of the E-P1 on "The OnlinePhotographer" and was pleased to learn the E-P cameras communicate with the lenses from the four thirds system. This allows the camera to make in camera corrections to images based on the lenses used. Very cool!!! I do have a question. Is a 25mm four thirds lens become a 50mm on micro four thirds??? All I know is I'm already saving for the Zuiko 25mm f2.0 Macro four thirds lens.....
This is gonna be fun.....
John

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Congratulations John, it's great to share your excitement!

All 4/3rds and m4/3rds lenses are labeled with the true optical focal length. To get the 35mm effective focal length (which would give you same field of view), simply double it.

So, the ZD 50mm f2 macro for 4/3rds has an effective focal length of 100mm

Does that make sense?

Cheers

Brian

Latest threads

Top Bottom