1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking to Upgrade my E-P3, New Body and Lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gugarci, Apr 25, 2014.

1. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Getting ready to upgrade my E-P3 to a new body, although I’m planning to keep the E-P3 as a back-up. My budget is $1500 to about $1700 max. Here’s is what I’m looking to do.

1. E-M1 & Olympus 25mm f/1.8
    2. E-M10 & Olympus 25mm f/1.8 & Olympus 75mm f/1.8
    3. E-M10 & Olympus 25mm f/1.8 & Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro
    4. E-M10 & Olympus 25mm f/1.8 & Olympus 9-18mm f/4.0-5.6

You can find the lenses I currently own below. As you could tell I want the Olympus 25mm f/1.8. Although in the past when I owned a D300 I mainly used zoom I now mainly use primes. I have played with the E-M1, E-M10 and the GX7 in a store. So I know how these camera’s feel in my hands. The E-M1 with the 12-40 is on the heavy size, but it’s nothing major. But with primes the E-M1 is very light, but not as light as the E-M10.

#2 is my favorite although I’m not sure how much use I would get from the 75mm lens. But I still want it. I could see myself out with a body and carrying the 12, 25, 45, & 75mm primes. I could also live happily with #1. The rest are doable but 1 & 2 are clearly my favorites. Body wise the E-M10 makes more sense for my needs and when I played with the cameras in the store the E-M10 spoke to me the loudest. But the E-M1 was right behind it. I just don’t’ want to have buyer’s remorse if I get the E-M10. Ideally if money was not an issue I would buy the E-M1 with the 25mm and 75mm primes and end it right there.
    Thanks.

2. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    You might try the Panasonic 12-35 with the m10 in the store.

Panasonic 305. 10.8 oz
    Olympus 385. 13.47 oz

PS Since I am considering that combo, I think everyone should get it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Not interested. Looking to keep my kit light. I tried the E-M1 & E-M10 with the 12-40 and it wasn't too heavy but not small and light and enough for my needs, But thanks for the response.

Like I said #2 is where i would love to go but I'm not sure how much use I will get from the 75mm lens. And don't want buyer's remorse by passing on the E-M1.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve

Best decision in the process.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I'd say the 9-18. It offers a different perspective to things. If you go another way, look for the new 9mm BCL or the FCON adapter for your 14-42. Still fun to play with for that wide view.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I could use the 9-18mm or the 60mm macro. So those are viable choices. But I'm trying to figure out how much use I will get out of the 75mm lens. And of course will i have buyer's remorse if i get the E-M10. Like i said to me the E-M1 with primes is still very small and light.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You don't really say what you're missing with your current kit, so it's a bit hard to recommend how it could be improved...

• Like Like x 1
  8. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Option 2 is a good choice. You have 2 primes covering your 2 slower kit zooms. I find the 9-18mm too slow for my taste and you already have a 12mm, so 9mm is not a significant gain as opposed to 7mm on the Lumix 7-14mm. And if you want to dabble in Macro, get a close up lens like I did. A good close up lens gives astounding results with the 40-150 you already have. I use mine extensively just for a zoom macro and my Lumix Pro zoom for portraits.

9. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    That why #2 is my favorite choice. That's a good idea to get a close up lens for the 40-150.

10. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I think it best to regard the body and lenses as separate decisions. You've had a chance to handle both candidates, and in your own opinion, "the E-M10 spoke to me the loudest." Why fight it? There's always a chance of buyer's remorse, but unlike tattoos, gear decisions are easily reversible. You just sell and reload. But I had the chance to work with an em10 over the Easter holiday, and I think the chances of remorse would be pretty slim. It's a very competent and appealing camera.

Now that the body is solved, let's talk glass.

Me, too. Mine just arrived yesterday, and I'm pleased as punch. It will replace my 20/1.7, and give me a nicely spaced travel kit of Panasonic 14/2.5 + Oly 25/1.8 + Sigma 60/2.8.

Based on your flickr stream, I think the 60 micro would be of greater use than the 75. If you need more reach, you can always use your 40-150. I have one of those, too, and it's surprisingly good for such an affordable telephoto.

So I'll vote for Door #3... E-M10 & Olympus 25mm f/1.8 & Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro.

Note: I'm surprised the ep5 wasn't one of your candidates. Refurbs bodies are being offered at excellent prices, and you already have the vf2.

11. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I would of consider the E-P5 but I really want a built in EVF. I thought about buying the E-P5 kit with the VF4 and 17mm len and adding the 25mm. But I've decided I want the built in EVF. Bodies come and go that's why #2 is still my top choice. But I could sure get more use of the macro than the 75mm lens.
    Thanks Frank.

12. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    The 25mm lens and the macro are my top needs. But that 75mm lens is so tempting it's hard to resist, like the E-M1.

13. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

I can see keeping both form factors. I have the E-M5 and sold my E-P1 and upgraded to the E-P5. For primes, I love the E-P5. The dSLR form factor of the E-M5 is better for the longer zooms, though (in my opinion, of course).

You sound like you're not sold on the 75/1.8. It's a great lens, but if you're wondering how/where you'll use it, maybe go with the 60 macro. The 60 macro can also be a good portrait lens (not as good as the 75, but still should be very good). However, I'd go with the E-M1 to take advantage of the weather sealing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    As of right now my top choices are the E-M1 with the 25mm, or the E-M10 with the 25mm and 60macro. But I also want the 75mm lens. But I will not use it as much as the macro. However the promo on Olympus's page for body and lens does not expired 5/31.
    http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/lens_promotion
    So I'm going to sit back patiently and wait a little bit longer before I pull the trigger. And I'm still thinking about the GX7. I'm toying with the idea of buying a GX7 body and an E-M10 using both for a couple of month and loosing my least favorite. If the GX7's body drops in price again I might add this to this mix.
    Thanks.

15. Lurch

Lurch Hi, I'm a gear addict

Apr 21, 2014
    Canberra, Australia
    Jason
    If youre coming from an EP3; even the E-M10 will blow your mind I would think.
    And I've always been a big supporter of investing lenses over bodies.
    #2 Get my vote.
    Or find a cheaper/second hand E-M5

16. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Bringing my back my thread back with an update.
    I just came back from Unique Photo in Fairfield NJ. It's been said many many times in these forums before you buy a camera you should try to handle it first. We all have different ergonomic needs. What's comfortable to one person might not be comfortable to you.

For whatever reason lately I've been reading G6 reviews. I guess the thread about the end of the G series peaked my interests. I went to Unique Photo to compared again the E-M1 Vs E-M10 VS GX7 and i figured I look at the G6. I did not like the over-all feel of the G6. It felt too plasticky and did not like the feel of the rear dial and function button. I also looked at the E-P5 and the GX7 felt better in my hands.

While there I saw the GH3 & GH4 and got a chance to play with both of them . From reading reviews I thought the GH3/4 where huge compared to the OMD's. They're bigger but nothing major. It's not like you can fit and E-M1 in your pocket. Ergonomically the GH camera fit my hands like a glove. The EVF of the GH4 is great, the GH3's was good also but not as good as the one on the GH4. Ergonomically after holding a GH camera and picking up the E-M1 right afterwards the E-M1 did not feel comfortable in my hands. I thought I liked the grip on the E-M1. But compared to the GH cameras the E-M1 's grip felt uncomfortable and I also preferred the dial placement of the GH camera better. I'm shocked because I'm not tall I'm only 5'7" and I have small hands. in fact ergonomically the GX7 was my second favorite camera to hold although the front dial placement was not as good as the GH camera's.

Bottom line try the camera first before you buy it.
    Thanks.

17. Mattr

Mattr Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Matt Robinson
    60mm opinion

I shoot an E-P3, can't afford to upgrade just yet to what I want, which is the E-M1. I do however own the 60mm macro that you are coveting. I bought it for the same reasons as you, porttrait and macro work. It's perfect for both. Sharp as a tack and then some. Also, and here's something I han't realised until I bought the thing, because it's a true macro lens the focussing is super accurate. When the camera says it's focussed on an eye, it's focussed on an eye and you can count the lashes! To me, accuracy is way more important than speed and it's plenty fast enough aswell. The focus limiter and indicators are very nice and useful touches.