Looking to switch from EM5mk1 to Panny LX100 or Leica D Lux 109

Phlash46

Nikon Refugee
Real Name
Bruce Gordon
Is this a stupid thing to do?

I've spent the past few years with the EM5 and have bought and sold lenses; now I'm currently packing around the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, and 8mm Pro Fisheye.

I love the camera (minus the ergonomics), love the lenses, but do not fancy carrying around all this crap. I feel that I'm missing out a ton on good photo opportunities because I haven't necessarily found a lens that's good for everything and I hate carrying around the bag. I'm usually already carrying a large pack (climbing pack) and don't care to carry any extra.

I'm pretty sold on selling my setup and switching to the Panny LX100 or the Leica D Lux 109 BUT I want some people to play the devils advocate. I've spent a fair bit of change on buying the lenses new when they came out, and my return will probably be pennies on the dollar.

I just want a camera that takes damn good pics that doesn't take up all the space of my current setup.

ALL SUGGESTIONS and CRITICISMS are very welcome. Thanks

Also, any ideas what my current package is worth on the used market?
I have the em-1 II and the LX100. I have no fast primes for the Oly because of the Panny. I use the Oly for wide and long and have one "travel" lens for it, the 12-100. The Oly with the 12-100 or the 14-150, and the 8-18 plus the Panny is all I need for travel.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought the LX100 as a small, capable side kick to my E -M1 II. Every time I'm out shooting my E-M1 with my PanLeica 100-400, the little LX100 is in a waist pouch at my hip, right where the 12-40 Pro used to ride. I still use the 12-40, but for those occasions when I don't want to be bothered (or bother my companions) with dealing with my bigger stuff, the LX100 is perfect....it's great fun to shoot and the image quality is on par with any 16mp M43 that I have owned, even better than some due to the stellar Leica lens.

Real Name
Butch Oakey
Is this a stupid thing to do?

I've spent the past few years with the EM5 and have bought and sold lenses; now I'm currently packing around the 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, and 8mm Pro Fisheye.

I love the camera (minus the ergonomics), love the lenses, but do not fancy carrying around all this crap. I feel that I'm missing out a ton on good photo opportunities because I haven't necessarily found a lens that's good for everything and I hate carrying around the bag. I'm usually already carrying a large pack (climbing pack) and don't care to carry any extra.

I'm pretty sold on selling my setup and switching to the Panny LX100 or the Leica D Lux 109 BUT I want some people to play the devils advocate. I've spent a fair bit of change on buying the lenses new when they came out, and my return will probably be pennies on the dollar.

I just want a camera that takes damn good pics that doesn't take up all the space of my current setup.

ALL SUGGESTIONS and CRITICISMS are very welcome. Thanks

Also, any ideas what my current package is worth on the used market?
I tried a LX100 for a while and really liked it but missed the versatility of being able to change lenses and the flippy display screens. There is a lot to be said about not having to make a lot of decisions when out shooting and not having to worry about which lens is on the camera. I sold the LX but have been thinking a lot lately about getting another one...... :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom