Looking to Join m43 - Maybe

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BAUlicht, Sep 18, 2012.

1. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    Hello All,
    I'm new to the forum, though I have been reading it for a while. I have always been intrigued with m43 and I'm thinking of switching from my Canon gear. I'm not a professional, so I can only afford to maintain one system. I'm mostly interested in still photography with video being an added extra, but not necessary. I shoot a lot of architecture, landscape, and portraits/lifestyle shots. The smaller, lighter system the m43 is also a major factor for me switching - I'm tired of lugging around heavy gear. I guess my question to you is what are your impressions of m43 and what gear may be a good fit for me? Also, what are your impressions of the Fuji system, as this is also in the running (I know this is a m43 website, but I've seen many people on here use both Fuji and m43)? Thank you for all your help and I look forward to being in the forum more often now that I've joined :smile:

2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    For stills and wide angle (landscapes, etc..) m43 will be excellent. Wide variety of lenses and contrast detect auto focus is great for everything you contemplate shoooting. I've hever used the Fuji X-Pro system extensively though IQ on the whole tends to be better. Focusing isn't too great in my experience.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Welcome! There are tons of helpful members here. Hopefully, we can convince you to come over and give the system a go.

Let me share my personal experience. I've never held anything other than a P&S camera before micro four thirds. My wife was a Canon user and would lug around her heavy equipment (she's 4'10'' btw) and I never considered taking up photographer because I could not see myself lugging around that much equipment. A friend introduced me to the PEN cameras and I'd figure I'd try it out. Before I know it, I was more into photography then her. I only recently convinced her to switch when she saw what the OM-D can do. :)

The MFT system is the most mature system of mirrorless cameras out there. With both Panasonic and Olympus backing up the format, the range of lenses is nearing that offered in DSLR systems. Third parties are now also adding to the mix. The OM-D, GH-3 (announced), and G5 all have quality 16mp sensors in them. Sony and Fuji are equally great cameras, if not greater in some regards (high quality images at high ISO, better EVfs and an APS-C sensor) but the lens support is just not there yet. Maybe in 5-7 years Sony or Fuji will catch up but the MFT system is here to stay.

E-M5, P7-14, O12, PL25, O75, O75-300

4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    In my opinion, the only thing you might miss from your Canon gear is the ability to easily achieve a very shallow DOF in your portrait/lifestyle work. It certainly can be done with the right m4/3 gear though, it's just more of a challenge.

5. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    Thank you zapatista and yekimrd. I do like the selection of the m43 lenses. I'm very interested in the OM-D E-M5, but was hoping for something a little less pricy. I'm looking for something with a built in EVF, mainly because of my portrait work and some of my travel - it would be difficult to get the shots I want without it. That's one of the reasons I started looking at Fuji (E-X1 - also pricy). I was hoping the new Oly E-PL5 would've had one. Hopefully the upcoming Panasonic GX2 will.

6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    And also C-AF. Now the fast fps and quick S-AF can make up for it but still you wouldn't want it for say sports photography if you were a pro. Landscapes and portraits the system can do very well.

E-M5, P7-14, O12, PL25, O75, O75-300

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    welcome Brian!.

Ive personally used the X100 when it came out last year or so. but i found the AF system to be crap (for my purposes). I also sold my FF system (5dmkii) switching over to m43. I cant complain, this system is great, there are some small glitches and stuff like ANY other system on the market but for travelling, lifestyle, etc is an awesome system. Now, if i get to compare my OMD vs my (long gone) X100, OMD hands down. same or better IQ, waaaaayyyyyy faster and accurate AF, nice colors, etc. in terms of looks, i like the OMD and Fuji the same, i love that classic rangefinder-silver-leather-compact-80s-70s type of cameras.

I havent tried the Xpro or XE1, apparently the AF speed thing is quite improved lately via firmware update but personally havent tried it yet. I know if you are looking for a diverse glass also fuji doesnt have many. now if you stay in the wide-mid range of glass then i think they are quite even. but anything beyond 50mm i think m43 has more range.

Now if your questions is, this or that. thats up to you. but if you ask me, i would take my OMD hands down if i had to choose.

thats my .000002 cents.

8. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    M43 is a compromise, like every camera format. At every point on the format size spectrum from compact < 1"(CX) < 4/3" < APS-C (EF-S/DX) < 135 (EF/FX) < medium format < view camera you're choosing the amount of low-light performance and depth of field control you're willing to pay for and lug around.

For architecture and landscape photography, the 16 megapixel M43 camera bodies have pretty much the same performance in dynamic range as larger formats. These genres actually benefit from the deeper depth of field of a smaller sensor format. There are no high end shift lenses for perspective correction, so expect to use Lightroom or DxO optics if you want to correct keystoning. The Olympus 12mm is probably the best lens for this, and is superior to any APS-C 16mm wide, and par with the better 135 format 24mm lenses. The Panasonic 7-14mm is one of the sharpest ultrawide zooms in any format, but is prone is difficult to correct ghosting on the OM-D EM-5.

For portraiture, the larger depth of field of m43 definitely requires a bit more effort for subject isolation than 135 format. m43 portraiture is regularly shot wide open, whereas 135 format shooters will stop down to ensure that their subjects eyes and ears are both in focus. The leading lenses here are the tremendous value Olympus 45mm F/1.8 (equivalent 90mm in 135 format field of view), and the Olympus 75mm F/1.8 (FOV of a 135 150mm lens) offers thinner DOF and is the sharpest lens several review sites have ever tested. Panasonic has a 42.5 F/1.2 in the pipeline that is expressly aimed at full frame 85mm shooters.

M43 has some advantages for long-telephoto sports and wildlife photography, as the lenses are only a third as large and heavy, but its not quite there compared to pro-135 format yet. Contrast detection autofocus (Liveview focusing) is more accurate than SLR phase detection autofocus, and can be just as fast on static objects, but it doesn't intrinsically offer predictive focus for moving subjects. And fast long lenses are still a hole in the lens lineups. So SLR still wins for sports and moving wildlife.

So, compared to your Canon gear, I think you'll find parity in landscape, near-parity in portraiture (esp if you're currently using a crop-sensor body), and a bit of a mixed bag on sports/wildlife shooting.

The Fuji system is very impressive, especially now that the X-Pro's hunting autofocus appears to be mostly fixed with firmware 2.0. The primary concern for me is the limited lens options that a single niche manufacture can offer. There are 3 lenses now, 2 more announced, and important pieces like a standard and tele zoom don't appear till 2013. You'll have a harder time finding deals on equipment, or a supportive community.

9. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    Wow, thank you everyone for the responses. This is why I like this forum. I do like the current m43 eco-system: lens and camera choice along with all the peripheral stuff that is out there. I was interested in Fuji mainly for their potential I guess (which I know may or may not happen). I like companies that innovate, like Panasonic did starting the m43, and like Fuji seems to be doing. When I switch from Canon I don't want to do it again in a few years - that's my main concern. Funny thing about Olympus, it actually makes me more nervous that Sony is in bed with them now (they kind of swallowed up Konica-Minolta). I would hate to see that happen with Oly.

10. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    I shoot semi-professionally, and had an extensive kit of Nikon dslr equipment, including the d700 (full frame) and d200 (1.5X fov multiplier) bodies. The d200 was my backup camera, but it got little use. After a 3 month trial of the Olympus pl-2, I was confident enough in u4/3 to sell the d200 and dx lenses. Today I use my u4/3 kit for travel and family photography, and reserve the d700 for pay jobs. The u4/3 kit is a lightweight joy, and saves wear and tear on my dslr, but it hasn't replaced the d700 and big lenses for critical work.

My experiences don't relate directly to your needs, since our subject concentrations differ. I'd suggest you check out our galleries, and see if the members' images meet up to your standards. If so, you might give u4/3 gear a try, but you shouldn't sell your dslr kit until you've proven it's adequate based on personal experience, which won't take very long. If not, you can sell the u4/3 gear at a small loss, equivalent to a rental fee.

This approach will work best if you keep your investment in check by starting off with earlier generation used gear. Personally, I haven't felt the need to upgrade to the u4/3 16mp bodies yet. Rather, I've invested in good lenses, and am still quite pleased with the performance of my pl2.

Jmho.

11. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    What r you're current most used canon lens f/l's.

12. BAUlicht

BAUlicht New to Mu-43

Sep 18, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Brian
    I use my Tamron 17-50 for a lot of my wide stuff and the 70-300 for portraits. I rent lenses occasionally to try them out or if I want a bit more quality with my portraits - around the 80mm focal length.