Looking to buy my first micro 4/3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gugarci, Jul 8, 2012.

1. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I'm looking to buy my first micro 4/3 camera. I have a Nikon D300 and many lenses that don't get used as much due to the fact that I now prefer to travel light. I also have and use a Panasonic LX3 which I love.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money up front right now since I can always upgrade in the future to a E-P4 or E-PL4 if they add the 16 megapixel sensor.

I'm looking to spend no more than $599. At that price I can buy a new E-PL3 with the 14-42 lens. Or an E-PM1 with the same 14-42 lens and I can add also add a VF-3. I have played with E-PM1 a few times at Best Buys and the lack of button should not be an issue since i mainly use AV and exposure compensation. The other option I was looking at was to buy a refurbish E-P3 from Cameta with the 14-42 lens. The refurbished unit from Cameta is $579. If money was no issue I would probably buy a new E-P3.

Any thoughts. I mainly buy fall my gear from B&H and Adorama and I have never bought anything from Cameta. Cameta gives a 1 year warranty on the refurbish E-P3. Is buying a refurbish E-P3 from Cameta risky? The camera has been refurbished by Olympus.
    Thanks.
    Olympus PEN E-P3 Micro 4/3 Digital Camera & 14-42mm II Lens (Black) - Factory Demo includes Full 1 Year Warranty

2. pheaukus

pheaukus Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2012
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Since your choice would rather be the E-P3, buy the E-P3. From my, and everyone else's experience, refurbished units should be really considered new ones as far as reliability and function are concerned.

• Like Like x 2
  4. NickLeon

NickLeon Mu-43 Regular

Oct 20, 2010
    Somerset UK
    I am in the UK so can't comment on Cameta but I bought a refurb Panasonic LX5 from a small independent dealer over here and have been very pleased with it. I am writing this on an iMac bought from the Apple refurb shop (or whatever they call it) around 4 years ago and it continues to give sterling service. Oh and I also have an E-P3 - I don't think you would be disappointed with it.

5. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Thanks for that link. I've been looking around in this site for the last couple of weeks but I must of missed that one. I'm more concerned with buying a refurb VS new. And i was little concerned about buying from Cameta. But they have a good rating in Reseller Ratings.

6. ClickerConspiracy

ClickerConspiracy New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    SF Bay Area, CA
    If you're looking to spend less than $599 you may also want to take a look at the Panasonic GX1; it's normally $749 but is now on sale at Amazon for only $502, which is a great deal.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-GX1K-Compact-System-14-42mm/dp/B00604YSNK/?tag=rumors04-20

Unfortunately I can't speak to the GX1 quality; I purchased an EP-3 a few months ago, but if the GX1 had been that cheap I may have picked it up instead! It seems to be comparable to the EP-3 than the ELP3 or EPM1.

Either way, good luck!

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Wow, $466 from amazon warehouse is an even better deal! I've never had problems buying from warehouse deals, the GX1 at that price is a steal.

I also wouldn't hesitate to buy from cameta, or, rather, haven't hesitated myself! The e-pm1 is quite a nice little camera, and at $299 you could possibly find a use 20mm F1.7 and still come in at $600.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    The GX1 is really a fantastic camera. Unless you are completely set on an Olympus I would weigh it out heavily. From the tests I've seen it has better high ISO performance than the E-P3. Fast AF, easy to use for me, and a great add-on EVF. It seems like it's gotten lost in the waste of the E-M5, but I'm certainly very happy with its performance. That price is really a great deal!

9. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Thanks but I'm not interested in the GX1. I want IBIS and I prefer the colors and AWB of the Olympus cameras. I love my LX3 but if shoot JPG's I sometimes get purplish skies. I no longer use it for JPG's. With an Olympus I can shoot JPG's or Raw and get more accurate colors.

Also that Amazon link is for the GX1 with the older 14-42 non power zoom lens. B&H also sells that same exact camera for $519. But according to the reviews I've read at DPReview and The Imaging Resource this combo with the older lens might be the better choice due to blurring at max zoom range with the power zoom kit lens.
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Review: Digital Photography Review
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Compact System Camera - Review

10. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I have purchased from Cameta several times including refurbished stuff and never had an issue with any of it.
    They are easy to deal with and have some of the best deals around.
    I can highly recommend them to anyone.

As far as the camera is concerned I finally had a chance to handle a EPM1 the other day without that heavy thing they attach at Best Buy on there cameras and I find it way to small for an adult.
    If I were you I would look to either get an EPL 2 or the EP3 refurbished.

11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    +1

12. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Thanks for the replies guys. I just ordered the black refurb E-P3 from Cameta. Should have it by Wednesday.

13. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Thanks again everyone. My E-P3 just arrived!!!!! :biggrin:
    Now all I have to do is to customized my way and take some shots. :smile:

14. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

We look forward to seeing some shots from you...

got it...

shots or ban.....