1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking through muddy water... A purchase story and requests...

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by obie131, Mar 8, 2012.

1. obie131

obie131 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    I have been looking for a 4/3rd's system to compliment my Canon 5D (the whole shebang can be read, if interested here: https://www.mu-43.com/f35/im-torn-looking-what-you-would-do-22580/ )

Well I was torn and came to realize that all of my wishes probably weren't that practical and that I was going to have to make some concessions. I started with deciding to go with a smaller body and maybe forgo some of the niceties such as twisty nobs and go with a touch screen. I decided to bite the bullet and go on the cheap with what I believe was a deal to fall into this group. I ended up with the GF2 with the 14-42mm lens. This should be here in the next few days.

Input:

If I have this right, the 14-42 should be a nice pancake that is going to be pretty wide, which should be a good street lens. If I wanted to do portraits and possible macro and then a bit of telephoto, what would be some decent and affordable lens to go. I am fine with legacy + adaptors. I would honestly rather have several legacy and hopefully cheaper lenses than one or two more expensive lenses which may leave gaps.

If you had $300 to drop on lenses, adaptors, etc what would be some logical choices for me, based on what I bought and what I am looking to do. In order of preference or needs, I would say 1. telephoto or longer reach lens, 2. macro and 3. portrait.

Thanks for any insight or input.

2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I'd get a used 45-200mm panasonic lens to start with. $200 m2c

3. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Agree with the 45-200, and then any legacy 50mm macro that you like, it and the adapter ought to be less than $100.

The portrait part is harder to work in at that price. The 45-200 covers the FL range you need, but it's slow so your DoF will be kind of deep. The standard :43: lens for that is the Oly 45mm, but it's $400.

Given that you have a Canon, an alternative would be the Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 in an EOS mount. It's a manual lens, less than $300 and with an adapter works fine on :43:. Gets great reviews over on the FM/Alt forum. Might be too long for what you do though.

4. obie131

obie131 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2012
    Thanks for the input. Looks like winner is the 45-200. Is the amazon price of $249.99 worth wild or is used the way to go?

With the Samyang/Rokinon will I be able to use the aperature manually? I have a Canon 50mm f1.4 and could use that full open, which is what I usually do for portraits. Would it be better just to start with the canon adaptor and see if the 50 works for me? The more I think about it, I would probably do portraits in a controlled setting which means that the 5D would probably be with me.....

5. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    You can buy the Oly 45mm F1.8 for around 330 bucks delivered EMS from Ebay, korean seller is very honest and mine arrived new in box in perfect condition, lovely lens.

6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    You can set the aperture on the Samyang, it's a fully manual lens. The 50 you have to shoot wide open or stop it down on the Canon body first with the DoF preview.

Of course, a older 50mm 1.4-1.8 lens with adapter would work great and give you full control

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    First, unless you got the 14-42 X-series lens with power zoom, it won't be a pancake. It will be a little larger than your 50/1.4.

The 45-200 is, IMHO, the best bang for the buck lens in the lineup. Just remember you are at 400mm equivalent when zoomed all the way in, and take the same care you would with a 400 hanging off your 5D. It is a little slow aperture wise, but portraits are still doable with enough attention to the background separation.

8. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I'd go with the Oly 40-150mm

I'd go for the Oly 40-150mm instead of the Panny 45-200mm:

(a) a little wider;
    (b) a lot lighter (220g vs. 380g) and shorter (72mm vs. 100mm);
    (c) cheaper ($180 vs. $230, best eBay prices for new, including shipping)

It's true you lose the 150-200mm range, but many users and reviews report the Panny can be a bit soft out there. And I've found that slightly cropped images at 150mm from my Oly are essentially indistinguishable from uncropped images from several 200mm's I've tried--so I don't think the extra focal length is very significant.

EDIT: Forgot you have a Panasonic body. Big difference between the two lenses is that the Panny is stabilized and the Oly isn't. That may indeed make it the better choice. But, as noted above, there are compromises.