Looking forward to re-building my m43 kit

uphillslide

New to Mu-43
I've been shooting with a GH2 for 2 years now. It served me well on vacations and work travel. I got a number of great pics, lots of snapshots, captured key moments in my nieces' early lives and got lots of high bit rate video (thanks to driftwood's hacks made possible by vitally). I got distracted along the way by the Nikon D800e and built a big (and expensive :rolleyes:) kit around that camera. Sure I got loads of quality pictures and the dynamic range is bonkers, but I missed the portability and fun of the smaller system. So I grabbed a Sony RX100. This little gem sapped up the majority of my travel-light shooting for the last year. But there are things I can't do well with that camera. With a baby of my own coming along shortly I am really anxious to get my hands on something that represents the best compromise possible. I've almost pulled the trigger on an EM-5 several times. I have a GX-7 preordered. And it looks like a really nice balance of form and function. Now this EM-1 is announced. Paired with the 12-40, it looks like it might be the sweet spot. But it's coming out a bit late for me due to the pending birth of my child.

I'm really excited about getting the GX7. I hope it can do everything I want it to do. The form factor is what truly inspires me. A few months later, the EM-1 looks like the workhorse that could finally make me complete my m43 kit.

All this to say, what a wonderful time to have a few great lenses (20 1.7, 45 1.8, 7-14), a baby, and a passion for photography. I'm deciding between the 75 and the 60 macro right now, but I'm leaning towards the macro to get those close up shots of the little guy.

jmax

Mu-43 Regular
Hi uphillslide,
as a recent parent of two childs, for the purpose of taking pictures to children, I reccomend you the faster lens you can get. An stabilized body/lenses will be necessary because the babyes don't usually stay quite for portraits.
A lighter system is wellcomed too, that you can operate with one hand, as the other is ready to help the baby.

For example, I own a GF1+P20mm f1.7, and wide opened indoors sometimes I missed a bit of speed. GF1 haven't stabilization system and ISO beyond 400 got noisy pictures, therefore I think with a GX7/OM-D and faster lens you won't be problem with moving kids.

Cheers

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Since you're having a baby, I might recommend just having one lens for the birthing. A fast prime would be my choice. That way you can snap away, while also enjoying the birth of your child. Having too much gear would just interfere with the special occasion. :smile: This is coming from a dad, who went gung-ho with his first birthing with a D700, 24-70, 50 1.4 and a fisheye! I think it was a little overboard. :biggrin:

jpark1982

Mu-43 Regular
I like you had some serious cases of GAS along the way. Since last October when my wife was pregnant I went through a ton of different systems only to end up with the EM-5. Make a decision now and stick with it. I went through different systems throughout the first 4 month of my daughters life and between selling/returning/shipping out cameras there are moments that I've missed. My wife still gets on my case for missing out on the 10 day to 2 week window where you can pose them however you want. I don't have the usual baby on her stomach, head titled sideways picture.

Definitely get a fast prime. I'm shooting with the PL25 right now and the fast aperture combined with the IBIS of the EM5 is allowing me to get some slow shutter, low ISO shots even indoors. I'm rarely going over ISO800. This is a stark contrast to when I didn't bring my prime with me when I was at my moms house and only had the 12-50. Because I was stuck shooting at f4-5.5 most of the time everything was shot at ISO6400 it seems like and while for web viewing its ok, even on a iPad mini screen you could see visible noise.

I have the 60 macro as well and have only used it for maybe 5 shots total.

Is the GX7 going to come out prior to the little one coming? I decided that I couldn't wait for it so I got the EM-5 myself to hold me over. I do like both the GX7 and the EM-1 and might end up getting both.

gsk3

Mu-43 Regular
An stabilized body/lenses will be necessary because the babyes don't usually stay quite for portraits.

Unneccessary, surely. When subjects move more than hands shake, IS is not helpful. Any shutter speed you'd need the IS for, the baby will be a huge blur anyway.

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
Unneccessary, surely. When subjects move more than hands shake, IS is not helpful. Any shutter speed you'd need the IS for, the baby will be a huge blur anyway.

On the other hand, many baby shots are taken indoors under low light. If you prefer to avoid flash then IBIS becomes a HUGE benefit. :cool:

jmax

Mu-43 Regular

Of course you are right, but my comment was oriented in low light situation (i.e. indoors), not in moving subjects. Sometimes, even the baby is quite, I miss a stop taking pictures at home. I must used "helpful" instead "necessary". Please, excuse my wrong english.

;)

Latest threads

Top Bottom