Looking forward to 2012 PENs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by strang, Jun 23, 2012.

1. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    Been shooting with the OM-D E-M5 for a couple of days now and I find composing with the LCD very enjoyable. Especially with the control dials, touch to focus and SCP.

And I say this coming from years of shooting with Nikon DSLRs.

I wonder what improvements Olympus makes to the PENs this year. E-M5 sensor? Better IBIS? Better control dial schemes?

I would trade down if I stop using the EVF by the time the new PENs are shipping. Don't have the need for weather sealing.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    They could improve the digital PENS & leave a gap in peformance to the OMD simply by putting the GX1 sensor in a new line of digital PENS...

3. Jorg.S

Jorg.S Mu-43 Regular

I would love for Olympus to put that OMD sensor into the Pen series bodies, that would be reason for me to upgrade from the EPL 1.

4. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    If the new Pen line-up will be $100-$200 less of the EM5+12-50mm, the OMD will just cannibalize the potential buyers of the Pen line-up.

It will be a more compelling reason if the Pens will be $300 cheaper than the EM5.

Honestly, I don't mind if Olympus retains the EP3, shove in the EM5 sensor and 5-axis IBIS, and call it the EP5. :)

EP3 is still by far the best-looking camera ever made by Olympus.

• Like Like x 5
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    I agree, anxious to see its next iteration though.

6. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    From an older interview of some high standing Olympus official (don't remember who and too lazy to search right now :tongue:):

"It's technically feasible to have an integrated EVF in future Pens"

(or something to that effect).

7. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Good point. There would have to be some differentiation between the PEN and OMD in terms of price. Otherwise the only people who will be buying new expensive PEN will be upgraders from old models who already have the VF2/3 finders :frown: :smile:

8. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Speaking of price differences, I have to admit total ignorance to "ancient" Olympus History, concerning pricing.

So, when both the original Pen and the OM line were around, what was the pricing policy back then?

9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They did not exist concurrently. The last film Olympus Pen with interchangeable lenses was made in 1970. The OM-1 was released in 1972. The Pen was one of the more successful half-frame format systems, but it did not compete very successfully with full 135 format systems, largely due to the complications in processing the film.

Mind you the imaging area of a half-frame Pen is still twice that of a m4/3 camera.

DH

10. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I wasn't aware of that; was under the impression that they existed concurrently for some years... Thanks for clarifying this!

I guess the real question is, how is Olympus going to diversify the EP and the EM lines in the future. The way I see it, the highest end current Pen has to remain visibly below the lowest end current OM; meaning in "almost" all departments: performance, features, price. I leave IQ out of the equation, because this is the trickiest decision of all. Should Olympus under-design the next Pen to score lower in IQ than the EM5?

Also Pens and OMs have to differentiate in style/format/usability too, IMHO.

11. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Well if the OM-D line is going to be the flagship line then the sensors should be different from PEN lines IMO. I believe thats what DSLR makers do, and the mid to entry levels have the same sensor differentiated by extra features.

12. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I don't think that's the only way to differentiate.

They could keep some unique OM-D features on the OM-D line, such as integrated EVF, 5-axis IBIS, weather seal, battery grip, etc.

I'm hoping the PENs will at least have the GX1 sensor, if not the OM-D sensor. Then no EVF, 2-axis IBIS but updated, no need for weather seal and no need for battery grip, etc.

Wouldn't it be more cost effective to source the same sensor across your cameras? You'll keep the Olympus quality while giving consumers choice based on body style and feature set.

Olympus may toy with the idea of merging E-PL and E-PM lines, or merging the E-P and E-PL lines.

Copy the Apple product lines!

Desktop, Portable --> SLR-like body, Rangefinder-like body.

Professional, Consumer --> E-M/E-P, E-ML/E-PL.

It saved Apple at a time of turmoil, perhaps it'll save Olympus too?

13. Bamamike

Bamamike Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    Koblenz, Germany
    What will be the next camera?

I ordered the OM-D in March @ B&H. Since the April availability date went to the right I cancelled this order and got a refurbished E-P3 (wanted to shoot the Venus transit and got it with my E-P3).
    Since I own a VF2 I have no need to get the OM-D just because of the optical viewfinder. However, I found so much more options/settings on the E-P3 (i.e. 3D) I have to work them out before upgrading. The step from 12 to 16MP sounds great but is not this gap, with the fast primes the ISO question is not this hot anymore. Bottom line: I can wait and Im happy with my decision to get the E-P3. That does not imply that the OM-D is not a great camera, but I do not need it for now.

14. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    I'd look for the OMD sensor and the flip screen. That would really do it for me. I don't have a guess on the evf. They could leave it out for differentiation, or include it for value. I can't imagine they would include all three, it would make the difference with the OMD too small.

15. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Between the Pen line up and the OM line up was the Olympus FTL which lasted only a few years. It had an m42 lens thread mount that had a unique locking mechanism that allowed for open aperture metering. The FTL was the stop gap camera line until the OM was released.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MrPhotoBob

MrPhotoBob Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2012
    I went down to my local camera store and saw information on the E-M5 and decided to go home and read up on it. After spending a few evenings on the internet reading up on the E-M5, I went to my dealer and purchased my E-M5 sight unseen. Someone had ordered the E-M5 with a black body and changed their mind, so that left me a chance at purchasing one. I purchased it with a grip, 12-50, 40-150 and a FL600 flash. I have the Nikon D3s, and I find myself now using my E-M5 more than I do my D3s. I am finding myself being able to do everything that I was able to do with my D3s with my E-M5. I am not ready to give up on the D3s right now, but I can see myself in the future owning just the E-M5,

• Like Like x 1
  17. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Isn't that the same thing? :smile: I am pretty sure that the OMD sensor is the same top of the line 16 MP sensor as GX1 except that as in the past Olympus manages to squeeze more performance out of it than Panasonic.
    I would think the top of the line EP PEN will get the same sensor. There's no reason for Olympus to cheap out on the EP since they must make a healthy margin on them, probably more so than on the OMD. The lower priced PEN models may get the same jazzed up 12MP sensor Panasonic is putting into GF5. Of course, Olympus could just mess with Panasonic and put the OMD sensor into everything :biggrin::biggrin:

18. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Now that we know the sensor in the OM-D was not a Panasonic job, it's safer to speculate on 2012 Pens.

First of, the rumors say there would not be an immediate successor to the E-P3. Instead two new models will probably replace the current Pen Mini and E-PL3. Let's call them E-PM2 and E-PL5.

It makes sense for Olympus to utilize the same sensor as the OM-D. Those models shall compete with the latest GFs and GXs from Panasonic, so it makes sense to rival them in IQ. Apart from that, there is no need for more advanced OM-D features, like 5-axis IBIS or weather sealing. At least the Pen Lite should have touch screen, IMO. None of them with integrated viewfinders.

The interesting part is the future (2013) top of the line Pen E-P5. My opinion is that Olympus should make it a Pen equivalent of the E-M5, and price it accordingly. Even model numbers fit perfectly in the marketing scheme. So the E-P5 should have everything the E-M5 has, but in a Pen body.

My reasoning is that such a model should not steal sales from the E-M5. First of all, a lot of people expressed a preference to the Pen body format. A top of the line Pen should have the integrated EVF at the left side, controls reminiscent of the Pen F or Pen FT, etc. IMO, no internal flash, while I'm not sure about weather sealing.

The second reason I think a high-end Pen would not antagonize with the E-M5 is that, at the time of introduction the latter will be in the market for enough time to warrant a follow up. Indeed I guess mid 2013 would be a great time for Olympus to introduce the "pro-level" E-M7, with newer sensor tech and a number of pro features.

19. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I'd like to see a flagship Pen that goes the route of a Nex-7 with a built in EVF in a smaller body.

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I doubt the next Pen will have the 5-axis IBIS... simply because the system requires that faux mirror box on top of the OM-D. So that's one exclusive for the E-M5. Weather resistance can be another. Plus the Sony sensor.

What I personally want in the next top-line Pen is both a built-in EVF and built-flash... and a sensor on the level of at least the G3/GX1.