1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for wide-angle prime that won't break the bank

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Desert_B, May 23, 2015.

1. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Preparing for an overseas trip, I'm finding holes in my m4/3 lens line-up, since I'm only bringing m4/3 and can't fall back on my DSLR lenses.

Currently my widest lens is Panny 20/1.7 (not counting kit lens). Is there an affordable, wide-angle prime (around 16mm FF equivalent) that is worth having? Doesn't need to be particularly fast.

TIA.

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If it's mainly for the trip, I suggest renting the 7-14mm f/4. There are no other lenses other than the fisheyes, the Kowa 8.5mm f/2.8 and the new 7-14mm pro that go that wide. Of those, only the Samyang fisheye is anything I would call cheap.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Thank you. The price is right on the Rokinon 7.5, but I forgot to mention that I prefer rectinlinear. Coming from APS-C, my Canon 10-22 lens has been worth its weight in gold to me. Am pining for something similar (though probably a prime is all I can afford) along those lines for m4/3.

5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Short answer: No, there isn't.

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Get a good quality EF mount focal-reducer and bring your 10-22.

• Like Like x 1
  7. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Not really what you're after but the Pana 12-32mm or 14mm may fit the bill without breaking the bank.

Otherwise the fish-eye is great fun.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

It is possible to de-fish in software, alternatively could you stretch your budget to a second hand Olympus 9-18mm zoom?

9. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Your other options are the Panasonic 14mm with the Panasonic GWC1 wide angle converter which gives approx 11mm, or the Olympus 9-18mm zoom (which isn't a prime, obviously).

10. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
  11. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The Panasonic 14mm f2.5 is pretty cheap ($160 from Japan on ebay) and a good lens in my opinion, but if you already have a 14-XX zoom, its main advantage is size, and some people question whether it is any good.

You can mount a Panasonic DMW GWC1 converter (around $120) on it. It's .76X, which widens the 14mm to 11mm. Might get some vignetting in the corners, and the 14mm has some CA. There are some inexpensive converters, like the Fuji WL-FXE01, which can be fitted, only $12 and well worth that price, although it will soften your corners more.

The attachments show my 14mm with/without the Panasonic converter.

But to get the equivalent 16mm, and stay inexpensive .... not possible at this time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Thank you, all. Not sure what I'll end up doing, but I appreciate all of the information.

13. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    I rather like the looks of the Panny 12-32. Then again, I could also take my LX100 as a second camera that can shoot wider than my 20/1.7. I may need to go that route since I'm running out of both time and money. Also enjoy some of the pluses that the LX100 offers.

14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    May I recommend the 9mm Body Cap lens fisheye. You can easily de-fish afterwards. Cheap, being $99 and light and small being the size of the body cap and good sharpness. 18mm FF equivalent. I use it as my travel kit just so that I have an UWA. I also carry a 14mm Lumix for 28mm FF wide and a Pana Leica 25 1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Intriguing. Thank you.

16. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    I have never really de-fished before, but I'm assuming this would be pretty straightforward to do in LR.

17. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    De-fishing is easy in LR, but remember it does it by stretching the outer pixels, so sharpness, quality and distortion in to the corner is all something you have to live with.

Can you be specific about 'breaking the bank' ? Where is your budget and just how wide do you want to go? The Canon 10-22 was FF equivalent of 17.6 - 35.2, which in m43 terms is 8.8 - 17.6. The only things that come close are the Lumix 7-14 and Oly 9-18.

The Lumix 14mm is certainly in the range, though not anywhere near the 9mm of the zoom. If you're looking to travel small and light the 14mm is hard to beat. I traded mine for an Oly 12mm simply because I had a specific (aerial) application that needed the 12mm, otherwise I would have stuck with the Lumix.

If you really need wider than that then perhaps you could turn the camera sideways (switch to manual mode) and take several shots, stitching them as a Panorama in Lightroom / Photoshop. This has saved me many times in the past. However, I recommend you practice the technique before you go ;)

18. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I use DXO Optics Pro 9 to de-fish the 9mm and I thought the quality was quite good and it was easy to do, so I assume with LR, it's easy as well. There is definitely a big difference between the Lumix 14 vs 9mm BCL FE. I agree with the previous poster that for travelling light, the Lumix 14 is hard to beat. Wide and has very good close focus. But for cheap UWA option, the 9mm BCL FE is hard to beat too.

19. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I agree with the panorama suggestion. I've used a two shot "panorama" in a pinch because there is no such thing as a 5mm MFT lense. That 10-22 is a hard one to replace.

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  20. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    If you're going with a fisheye, I'd really recommend the 7.5mm over the 9mm body cap lens. It costs more, but it's unequivocally better. I have the body cap lens and while it's good for the price, it won't make you forget that it's a plastic body cap that doubles as a lens, with its fiddly focus mechanism that rarely stays in one place between shots, and that darn f8 aperture.

• Agree Agree x 1