Looking for Travel Backpack user experience

Real Name
Walter
On the carry-on chart website I linked earlier, they say that Easyjet allows personal items only on certain fare types and lists the max dimension of a personal item (under the seat) in the last column. This is similar to what other airlines have posted.

EasyJet AirlineAll56 x 45 x 25 cm
22 x 17.7 x 9.8 in
UndisclosedOnly with certain fare types.
Max size
45 x 36 x 20 cm
17.7 x 14.2 x 7.8 in

BTW, if you're going to use a "personal item" bag for your gear, please note that the max dimensions they give do not account for the contortions you have to make to get the bag to go under the seat. On some planes, there is so little room between the front of your seat and the seat back ahead, that getting a bag to go in and then to angle it to slide under the seat takes some doing. It's probably best not to use a bag that's close to the max size limits, to give yourself a little leeway to maneuver it to where it needs to go. Of course, if there is overhead space available, that's not an issue. Before the pandemic, it was sometimes very difficult to find enough overhead space to even put my roller carry-on bag because everybody else was stuffing those bins with oversize bags. On some flights, I had to gate check my roller bag, because some planes had really small overhead bins. I had to make sure my personal item bag would actually fit under the seat. Maybe nowadays, planes aren't so crowded. Wish you luck.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
BTW, if you're going to use a "personal item" bag for your gear, please note that the max dimensions they give do not account for the contortions you have to make to get the bag to go under the seat. On some planes, there is so little room between the front of your seat and the seat back ahead, that getting a bag to go in and then to angle it to slide under the seat takes some doing. It's probably best not to use a bag that's close to the max size limits, to give yourself a little leeway to maneuver it to where it needs to go. Of course, if there is overhead space available, that's not an issue. Before the pandemic, it was sometimes very difficult to find enough overhead space to even put my roller carry-on bag because everybody else was stuffing those bins with oversize bags. On some flights, I had to gate check my roller bag, because some planes had really small overhead bins. I had to make sure my personal item bag would actually fit under the seat. Maybe nowadays, planes aren't so crowded. Wish you luck.
Thank you, I'm hoping for the same thing. I will use a "Hands Free" option where you can leave your carry-on at the desk check-in and they will put it inside the cabin on the overhead compartment before anyone boards the plane so that space is guaranteed. I was hoping to get it under the seat so I can grab my camera and make some pictures out the clouds outside, seeing as it's the first flight I would like to record the moment, if not I can still do it with my phone (in Airplane mode of course).
I was looking at the dimensions of Peak Design Everyday Backpack 30L and it's within 1 cm to tall and wide for the specs you outlined but worse is my laptop doesn't fit in the dimensions the laptop slot the backpack has so :(
I am looking at a Microsoft Surface Pro option to trade-in with my iPad.

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
PS. My trip to the Netherlands was very eventful:
*First thing that happened to me when I arrived there was get caught in a heavy summer rain with my Panny GX7 out ... little bugger managed to survive that.
*On the 3rd day of Christmas (joking :p ), when I went to the beach with my friend I packed so much in the only backpack I had at that time (Vanguard Biin, and I used it since 2008 up to 2017) that when I opened it up to get my little Panny GX7 it fell on concrete from bursting with content, don't worry the GX7 survived just fine.
*When I went home I lost my train from Brussels to London because I ran out of battery juice on my phone and the single tiny battery bank I had and I didn't know where I needed to go without my Google Maps directions so I got to late to the right train track and the guards wouldn't let me take the last train so I ended up sleeping that night in the Brussel Train Station before getting kicked out of the station by the army (because the Brussel bombing attack happened a month prior) at 4 AM so I ended up on a bench outside where I found 5 Euros underneath that was enough to get a coffee from a coffee shop and get me access to a power outlet to charge my phone so I can buy a bus ticket from Brussels to London with the last 20 Euros I found lost in my jacket pocket by luck and I had a few euros leftover to buy a simple burger in Lille, France, which was the only meal I had for 2 days at that point: (just remembered I had some photos of those adventures backed up by Google Photo+ that I havent seen them since)

View attachment 842257
Definetly a highlight of my adventures: sleeping in one of the busiest train stations in Europe :)

View attachment 842258
Getting booted onto the benches outside the train station

View attachment 842259
Arriving to Lille, France, train station (by bus since it shares that as well)

View attachment 842260
I was lucky to find the Mall right next to the station because I was feeling very hungry at that point and:

View attachment 842261
Had the most basic meal and burger that would make McDonals stuff feel like a royal feast :p (They would sell only meal set and not individual items, else I wouldn't have gotten that drink)

View attachment 842262
Waiting for my ride back to UK

View attachment 842264
The last few moments I had in France before leaving
The peeps seem to enjoy this post so maybe I should make a thread on the whole adventure/holiday I had ... with more pictures of course :) ... WELL OOUUUPSYYYYY:
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/my-tr...udes-lots-of-pictures-too.93849/#post-1076307

I actually made a thread of that trip but I forgot about it. Actually it was quite fun to read what I wrote 3 years ago, kind of makes me feel better about this upcoming trip.
As for this statement (of mine):
Now if only I could find the perfect-ish camera for me: 20-24 MP, 4K/6K video, ISO 50-12.800 USABLE, weather sealed, EVF 120 FPS, flippy out screen, dual SD card slot, Focus Bracketing, Live Composition, IBIS, Fast Continous AF, 10 FPS Burst, Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO ring/knob, solid construction built, up to 500 grams weight with battery, good battery life.
Now that I actually own an Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III lets see how it stacks up:
20-24MP: check (+1)
4K/6K: check on 4K (+1)
ISO 50-12.800 Usable: ISO 64 is close enough and 12.800 not really but better than my old Panny GX-7 at ISO 6.400 (+0.5)
Weather Sealed: Very much YUS (+1)
EVF 120 FPS: YUS YUS (+1)
Flippy Out Screen: YEP (+1)
Dual SD Card Slot: Hell yes (+1)
Focus Bracketing: Not just that but also Focus Stacking too (+1)
Live Composition: Not just one but 2 different ones plus Live ND (+1.5)
IBIS: Best in Class (as of this time of writing: 26th August 2020) (+1)
Fast CAF: It's a top dog (but there are better options out there still) (+0.5)
10 FPS: Make that 18 to 60 FPS :D (+1.5)
Aperture, Shutter and ISO dedicated dials: Well that's on Canon (lens ring 1 function), Panasonic (lens ring 1 function of some Leica lenses) and all on Fujifilm only (-1)
Solid Construction Built: This thing will outlive me (+1)
Up to 500 Grams with battery: Well I should have said +/1 80 grams but it's not that bad :p (+0.5)
Good Battery Life: 400 to 800 pictures is an improvement :D (+1)
So that makes 10 pluses, 3 half pluses and 2 extra pluses with only one minus.

Last edited:

RickinAust

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you for the advice, I am in the same zone with you on everything :D
It's the reason why I want to pack most valuables in the backpack and take it with me in the cabin instead of leaving it in the holding area. Some of the less valuable stuff I could put them in the suitcase, cables, wall chargers, travel adapters, etc. When I packed my LowePro Fastpack 250 AW it's about 8.000 £ worth, which makes me quite uncomfortable leaving it anywhere else than on my back or around my feet. The purpose of the backpack is to carry mostly the camera gear and the laptop/tablet (I will decide on one at some point :p ) from my place to my destination, then I will use it with just the camera gear, some water and a bit of food when hiking the hills on location. I will see if I can camp out in the woods for a night or two if the weather permits, to do some astrophotography (I love those serpentines at night, getting the Milky Way and hopefully some trail lights either in one shot or in timelapse would be freaking awesome). Protection is a top priority, I have a significant amount of bad luck and clumsiness even when I try to be as careful as possible, and rain protection as well (got caught in heavy English rain, it rained horizontally, and even with 2 rain covers on my LowePro some stuff still got wet when I went home from work).
I will be carrying only the zoom lenses:
*Olympus 7-14mm f 2.8 Pro for narrow streets, architecture, landscape timelapse and astrophotography
*Olympus 12-40mm f 2.8 Pro for backup of 7-14mm to do landscape or even 2nd Astro setup as well as my one lens camera setup when going out through town
*Panasonic Leica 50-200mm f 2.8-4 with 1.4x TC for local wildlife and landscape as well, and potentially portrait setup with family and friends outdoors.
*E-M1 Mark III, 20 MP, HHHR, Stary As F&*£, best IBIS, Eye AF Tracking
*E-M5 Mark II, mainly for timelapse usage (and backup camera)
*Dual USB battery charger for BLN and BLH since they are compact, light and I can use a USB power adapter for both of them (I can charge all 3 E-M1 batteries in about 3 hours and both E-M5 batteries as well)
*Olympus FL-LM3 for fill-in flash outdoor and for low light indoors and it's very small and light
*Vanguard 214BK Nivelo, small, compact, very light
That's all the photographic gear I would need.

This will be my first proper holiday (more than a week off) since December and working in a nursing home with lockdown for 6 months has not been easy. The only thing I want to think about is photography, hiking, and not being stuck between walls or being awake only at night.

Good point about the rain cover. I forgot to mention that the lowepro AW has one and it's been a used numerous times.

Dobarduff

New to Mu-43
I've heard that Tortuga Outbreaker Backpack is considered to be one of the best travel backpacks. When packing for any kind of trip, whether it's a quick business trip or extended vacation abroad, you don't need to lug a giant rolling bag behind you. While there are plenty of practical uses for that type of bag, there are actually several more options available to you at Backpacks Global that could be a better fit for your specific journey. Alternative solutions, such as a travel backpack, or duffel bag offer plenty of storage and some even have a variety of ways to carry them.

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
A LowePro Photo Active BP 200 AW is my current personal item/camera bag. Fits under the seat and holds a small collection of travel essentials as well as camera gear. I can fit an EM1 III or EM5 III with 12-40 Pro or 12-100 Pro mounted, 9-18 and/or PL15 f1.7, and even a 40-150 f2.8 Pro+MC-14 if I need a long zoom. I've even managed to squeeze the O100-400 into it. If I leave the long zoom out, I can fit a spare body. Could probably squeeze my little FL300R flash in as well. My iPad mini fits where the hydration reservoir would go. Main thing is it'll fit under the seat and doesn't require an overhead bin, which can get very tight on the smaller planes that airlines seem to favor now. I leave all my valuables and batteries in the personal item bag because I've had to gate check my carry-on almost every time. Li-ion batteries are prohibited in checked luggage.

I earlier bought a ThinkTank Urban Access 13 backpack which had ample room for lots of gear and excellent backpack straps, but a small compartment for travel necessities, but it was too big for a personal item, so I sold it. My existing F-Stop Kenti backpack was also too big for a personal item. It's been a struggle to find the right personal item/camera bag because I have to make sure it has enough space for travel essentials as well as camera gear. The right balance and still fit under the seat.

Last edited:

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
All decent bags have a nylon all weather rain cover stuffed in them somewhere. Essential item.
Lowepro, Tenba. Get a decent name branded camera bag. They’re worth the xtra. My Lowepro toploader has seen 20+ years of hard bush use, still going strong.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom