1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for some opinions

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by zammer, May 29, 2013.

1. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Question....Your currently shooting an Oly E-pm1 with the standard 14-42 kit lens, you see the Panasonic DMC-GX1 ( body only ) on sale for 199.00, would you pick up the GX1 and for the time being just use the Oly kit lens on it or would you pass on the GX1 and pick up a prime or better quality zoom for the Oly.

I realize that there are several ways to look at things but I'm interested in the opinions of those who have more experience with these things than I, thanks, :smile:

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Prime lens.

3. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Prime lens.

Pana 20 or Oly 45

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Amen to the lens.

I'm sticking with the E-PL3 (same sensor as E-PM1) - for now - but I still get great pictures using the lens line-up I have. And the only things that entice me to upgrade are better performance in lower light shooting, and that 5-axis IBIS. Otherwise I'm perfectly fine with the body. Upgrade your lens first, esp if your body is just one or two generations behind - you'll get a higher jump in IQ.

I still know of a few who are still using the E-PL1, and they pump out gorgeous pictures I can't do. :biggrin:

5. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Better glass will pay off more than a newer camera/sensor most of the time.
    At least for me.

6. threebees

threebees Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2013
    Neither...
    viewfinder, and some prime legacy lens that would fit in the $200 budget you would have spent on the GX1.

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Prime lens if all you have now is the kit lens. While the GX1 is a good camera it isn't that much better than the one you have, and you'll probably get more versatility and longer usage out of a new lens.

You might consider the older generation of the Sigma 19mm and 30mm primes. Adorama has them on sale right now:

Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN Lens for Olympus micro 4/3 Mount type Cameras 400963

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 EX DN for Micro Four Thirds Lens Mount Systems 330963

They sell them via Amazon too. You could get the two lenses for about $255, the same price as the Panasonic 14mm, and less than the 20mm.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

New piece of glass!

Go for the glass!

9. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Are you unhappy with your current set-up? If so, what is it that you want to correct/improve? How far up the upgrade ladder do you want to go in the immediate future and in the long run? Until you can answer these questions, I would suggest not spending any funds, especially if you have a tight budget.

--Ken

10. Thinh Ly

Thinh Ly Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Washington D.C.
    Prime lens. ATM I'm saving up for the PanaLeica 25mm.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  12. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Glass for sure!

13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I started out with a used E-P1 and collected lenses for ~2 years then got a used E-M5. You can learn a lot about the system with most any camera body. I say use the one you have until it is broken or there is a seriously compelling reason/feature that only a newer body offers.

I gotta say that as nifty as 5 axis IBIS is it really is not a good enough reason to jump from E-P1 to E-M5. Better time spent working on refining ones holding/handling technique to get stable shooting than expect 5 axis wizardry to save the day - and being disappointed when it does not. 30% more pixels, more dynamic range and 5 axis mojo ... plus it was my birthday.

14. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

I would go with the lens. I can't say much about the Olympus 14-42mm, but the 14-42mm Panasonic lense, while nice, isn't as good as the 14mm prime, specially when lighting was an issue.

On the other hand I found the GX1 to be a better handler than the E-PM1. Not to mention it offers a touch screen, which I find very useful(when I had the G2 and currently on my GF3). But, I still would probably go for the lens, unless the handling and interface of the GX1 works better for your needs.

15. zammer

zammer Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Interesting you throw this option out there, I am currently playing around with a 28mm legacy lens, I don't have the viewfinder yet do they make that much of a difference? thanks

@madogvelkor...Thanks for the links to the Sigma lenses, had a look at those a few weeks back, looks like good value.

@Replytoken...No, more curious than anything...just a natural progression to see where I should go when the finances allow.

Appreciate everyone's replies...

16. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I agree with everybody on glass.. The specs are pretty close on both and you'll get better results with a new lens.

17. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Go for the new camera body!

I said that just to be different to everyone else. :tongue:

In reality, get another lens. :smile:

18. battleaxe

battleaxe Mu-43 Top Veteran

For the longest time I was using my MF glass(currently a Minolta 57mm f1.4) on my Panasonic G2. I would use the EVF and it make things easier and more stable for me. Since I have now moved on to a GF3, I am stuck with rear display on. At least in my case, it is situations like this I wish I went with the E-PM1 b/c of the IBIS. With my G2, using the EVF never had wish I had IBIS.

19. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While we all succumb to GAS, I still believe that, unless you are buying gear just to buy gear, it is best to know why you are buying a piece of gear, and what problem it is solving for you, especially if you are operating on a modest budget.

In general, lenses are usually a better "investment", but if your camera body is not meeting you needs, then perhaps you might need a new body. Years ago, I upgraded from a Nikon D40 to a Nikon D300, and it was one of the best photographic decisions I made. I had some decent lenses, but could have used that money to buy even better glass. But, shooting with a D300 was a whole different ballgame than using a D40. I am not saying that this is a similar comparison to your consideration of a GX1, but, IMHO, it is harder to move ahead if you do not know what is holding you back. Without more specific details, all we are really doing is spending your money as if it were ours.

Having endured a lot of GAS and NAS (a Nikon specific variation of GAS) over the years, I try to think through my purchases as thoroughly as possible. Too often I have been disappointed with a piece of gear, or find that it never gets used, so I am always a bit cautious of the BSO (bright shiny object) that seems like it will improve my photography.

Good luck,

--Ken