1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for some good ND and Polarizing Filter sets

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DigitalD, Jan 26, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    So looking to expand my filter collection as most of the filters I have were geared towards my back in my b&w film days, so mostly Reds, Oranges, blues, etc. After looking around a but I noticed there are a lot of low budget filters that have come to market but come to find out they are usually acrylic (hence the cheap price).

So I thought to pose this to my forum friends here and see if anyone has a brand of choice they could kindly recommend or link me too. Im looking for some good real glass filter sets or if you have had good experience with the acrylic sets, link that too. Im mostly looking for ND and Polarizers for daytime shooting.

Oh also variable filters are of interest as well.

Thanks!

2. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

My favorite ND filters are the HOYA ones, but because they sometimes are a bit on the expensive side (nos as much as the B&W tough), I've tried MARUMI and I'm very pleased with those.
    The MARUMI ones I've got are 3 stop ND filters and I don't see any color cast or loss of IQ.

3. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yep exactly what I was looking for. I've seen the Marumi's but couldn't find any user reviews. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  4. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I've had Marumi polarizers and currently have a Marumi clear multicoated protection filter on my X100S. I've been very happy with them for the price. I also have two Heliopan polarizers (one circular and one linear) that I have also been impressed with - although they are pre-digital era filters which I picked up for a very low price in the clearance bin at my local shop.

I don't think you can go wrong with:

Marumi
    Hoya
    B + W
    Heliopan

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    If you're photographing in places where there's lots of rain, mist, dust and the like, then the B&W MRC filters are the better option. They almost repel water and are very easy to keep clean, which is why I use B&W filters. As far as I'm aware, B&W are the only ones that use this type of coating which, apart from the optical quality (including brass bodies), contributes to the price.

6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I've been using the Lee Seven5 filter system and like it a lot. It's small size fits a m4/3 kit very well, and the quality is too-notch.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Thanks. Leaning toward the hoya pro for cpl. One of the only multi-coated I've seen for a good price.

8. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Thanks Oz, I guess I'm looking for the next best option for price and quality. I prob should have mentioned that.

I also really like the sigma DG filters. I replaced several of my tiffen UV filters with them because they are made really surprisingly well. I looked at their cpl and it is tempting but still around the $90 range. Find they hoya for under $50

9. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yes, the B&W filters aren't cheap and when I got my 90-250mm it came with an Olympus filter and I thought 'you beauty!', I don't have to buy a filter. After my first foray in winter to a football game, I ordered a B&W filter to suit (105mm), as wind blew rain into the deep hood and I had the devil's own time trying to clean it. I don't even want to remember how much that filter cost.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime

I really like the Hoya ND filters (I have a ND400 and a ND8), but be careful with the Hoya Pro circular polarizers.
    I have one of those and I had a really bad time trying to clean it...
    It never looks clean and I ended up scratching the coating surface because of so many times I've tried to clean it.
    Looks like it have some greasy coating or something. I have even tried alchool and special cleaning lens fluid. After some time stored in is case when I pick it up it look's like have that greasy coat again.

There's a more expensive one: Hoya HD CIR-PL that I've never tried.
    Maybe it's better, don't know.

11. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I have the Lee Sevan5 delux filter set which included 3 grads, the big stopper and polariser. I love it. It's a great set, small and high quality.