Looking for some bag recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by pdxkale, Jul 20, 2016.

1. pdxkale

pdxkale New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2014
    I have long used a Timbuk2 classic messenger (in Irish flag colors, woo!) with a camera insert for hauling around my camera gear. When I moved to a mirrorless platform, it kind of seemed like overkill, so I picked up the Chrome Niko, which was nice, but doesn't have the versatility of being both a commuter and camera bag that I'm looking for. So, I'm looking for a new bag.

I'd like to switch to a back pack style bag with a lower compartment for the camera w/ a lens, and maybe one other lens and some batteries/lens cleaner, etc., but still has room for normal commuter gear, like my lunch, SSD drives, 7" tablet, miscellaneous IT hardware, and the like. I guess I'm looking for a commuter bag that can hold some camera gear, rather than a camera bag that can act as a commuter, if that makes any sense. I'd also like it to not look like a camera bag. I just don't like the generic styling of the likes of the Lowepro, or Think Tank bags.

I typically carry an OMD-5 Mkii w/ panny 20mm 1.7, and the panny 14-140 with me.
    As far as budget, I'd like to stay south of $150, but that is a "soft" number.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    You mention you do not like Lowepro, but have you looked at these? They are more like real packs with camera compartments in the bottom.

I have the smaller version of this one, only because I could not get the larger one. In this model the top compartment is not fully closed off and goes down below the camera compartment.
    Lowepro Photo Sport BP 200 AW II en 300 AW II

This one is the newer model and the top compartment is fully sealed off and the camera section is larger, and can be accessed from eith the side or front, I probably would have purchased this one if it was available at the time. After looking at it a few times I probably will later this year
    Lowepro Fastpack BP 250 AW II Camera Backpack

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  3. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 9, 2014
    The Desert - Western Australia
    Have a look at the mindshift gear ultralight 16L pack, @boulderjoe@boulderjoe did a review on it recently in the bags bags and more bags thread...
  4. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    I love the 16L for carrying the OMD and two lenses around.
    Review: robonza: Review: MindShift Gear UltraLight Sprint 16L

And it does not look like a camera pack, which is always good.

I have been using one of the rotation 180 packs for mountain biking for years now and it has not shown any signs of wear. So they make great gear!

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Just viewed some video's on youtube and checked the review posted above and the mindshift bags look pretty good but over double the cost of the lowepro bags. I like the pro bag the best but some of the others are more affordable. I really like the slide around camera bag. Will try to find a store that stocks them to have a look.