1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for some adapted lenses suggestions ....

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jay86, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im looking to grab a few older manual focus lenses and adapt them to my E-M5. Particularly looking for suggestions within the Minolta MD & Canon FD lens families in the following FL range:

40-50mm (F/1.4?)
    68-75mm (F/1.8 or so...)
    100mm-135mm. (F2.8 or F/4.0 would be fine in this range)

So basically three longer FL lenses essentially being about that 85mm, 135mm & 200mm+ FL in 35mm terms. They dont have to be exactly that, close enough will do. Looking for suggestions for lenses in those ranges with a balance of good $$$value and image IQ. I really like the colours from the Minolta Rokkor lenses but being somewhat new to vintage glass I dont know exactly which ones are good and have some familiarity with the Canon FD lenses, hence why Im interested in suggestions from those two lens families but if there something in those FL range's outside that is a good offering Im game to hear about that too. Just so many options out there I feel super confused... Help/Advice appreciated. :)

Thanks!!!

2. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Buy one of everything! Oh wait, that's just me...

In FD, there's not a lot you can do wrong.

For group 1: The FDn 50/1.4 is a gem. A perfect portrait lens on ยต4/3. Beautiful rendering. Great wide open. The FDn 50/3.5 is another to consider - tack sharp and gives you macro.

For group 2: The FD series didn't include anything between 55mm and 85mm unless you look at a zoom. I wouldn't look at a zoom.

For group 3: The FDn 100/2.8 is nice as is the 135/2.8; however, if you can swing the extra cash the f/2 versions of each of those are exceptional, particularly the 100/2. If you wanted to shorten up to make up for nothing in group 2, the 85/1.8 is a nice lens.

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I approve of this message.

4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have the FD135 f2.5 and the FD 85 f1.8.

In the 135mm range, I also have a Takumar f3.5 and a Sears f2.8, made by some 3rd party. I find little difference between these three lenses as far as picture quality. When used on my PEN's, I like the Takumar more than the Canon because it's lighter. I bought the Canon for the extra speed, but f2.5 is only 1/3 faster than f2.8. An FD f2 is big bucks and not in my budget.

The FD 85 is my most expensive legacy lens at $120. It's good when I need a fast lens in this range. My results wide open can vary, and that's due to both difficulty of focus and the usual softness at f1.8 on old lenses. It balances nice on my EM5.

Attached Files:

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    ^^^ Thanks for the suggestions edmsnap and harrys. Im going to look into some of those suggestions particularly the Canon 85mm FD.