1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for recommendations on Panasonic G3 aftermarket battery

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ads, Oct 11, 2011.

1. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    Heading overseas again soon and on my last trip I often ran out of battery before the end of the day, decided I would get a spare battery for the next trip to see me to the end.

I don't want to carry two chargers, so its important that the new battery works with the factory one.

Does anyone have any recommendations for ebay or amazon brands / sellers?

cheers

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
  3. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    Thanks for the reply guys.

Do you need to the use a new charger for them or will it work with the factory one?

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I put the Wasabi in the Wasabi charger, and the Panny in the Panny charger.

I'm hesitant to mix them at this point.

6. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I think you probably have the smart approach here. I have charged the Oly batteries in the Wasabi charger a few times with no obvious issues, but hard to say if there could be any long term lifespan problems (e.g. possibly over-charging the lower capacity OEM battery). Then again, the Wasabi batteries are cheap enough that, if my Oly batteries blow up from Wasabi charging, replacement is not a huge issue.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Unless of course, they ACTUALLY BLOW UP and take the camera with them.

IMHO, $70 is worth it to not carry another charger.

• Like Like x 1
  8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl: Pffttt, I just make sure not to charge my batteries near open containers of gasoline anymore.

Seriously, you are probably right. I actually pulled the trigger on the Blue Nook charger, because I wanted something for road trips (it includes the 12v cigarette lighter option) where I wouldn't have access to an outlet. It is a nice charger... smaller and no cable, plugs directly into outlet.

9. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    Does the Blue Nook charge the OEM battery as well?

10. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Yes. The only question I would have is whether this is good for the OEM/Oly batteries long term as the Wasabi cells have more capacity (i.e. will the Wasabi over-charge the Oly batteries).

11. ads

ads New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2011
    They need to be he same type of battery or they can explode. Different types of batterys will charge differently.

If anyone has one of the wasabi batterys could they post what battery technology it is?

Be great if the wasabi charger works for both.

Could just be that the panasonic battery charger needs the chip in the battery or it ignores it.

12. djonesii

djonesii Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2011
    I got two from flea-bay, they show charge, and work out just fine. The seller had a make best offer, went five lower they said no, then $2 lower and the accepted. It was $14 for the two shipped.

The power meter in camera works, and while I don't count shots, they seem to be in the same ball park as the original.

Dave

13. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    I've seen people complaining what with some kinds of 3rd party batteries G3 is showing remaining charge incorrectly so it shuts off abruptly when 1 bar still lit.

My guess is the following. There are generally two different kinds of BLD-10 compatible batteries (regardless of manufacturer and capacity) - 7.4V and 7.2V. So far I only seen FULLY positive comments on 7.2V kind (wasabi, hanken, some others). Genuine ones are also 7.2V.

Its known that discharge voltage curve on Li-Ion batteries is dropping rapidly in the end of charge, so its easy to explain why 7.4V batteries can show such behaviour - camera sees voltage is high enough but in the end battery cannot provide sufficient current, voltage is lowering quickly and the camera just shuts off at once. But we need some statistics to confirm this.

Anyone?

14. m43er

m43er Mu-43 Regular

Oct 6, 2011
    Are these from a Hong Kong seller? Got a link or seller name?

15. McDark

McDark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2011
    Russia
    Just finished testing of two batteries I've got from ebay alone with charger, EU adapter and car lighter cord for nearly $20. Both batteries working fine (one seems slightly better but that's their first cycle), power meter is working just like with original. Capacity surprisingly seems more than original (yes, its marked 1400 mAh but... you know). So I can recommend the maker (also seller) - it's DSTE battery.

BTW when I asked they told me it wouldn't show the charge level correctly LOL

• Like Like x 1
  16. dave

dave Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2012
    the wasabi batteries and chargers work great for the g3, i have them and use them in mine. And you can charge the stock battery with the wasabi charger no prob and will not overcharge has an auto shutoff built in. Ive done this as well. At least thats bee my experience with them. bought mine off amazon got the duel battery and charger deal.

17. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Lithium Iron Phosphate cells, or LifePO4 (Li-ion on your batt pack wording) are all 3.6v nominal and it should make no difference whether you use an OEM or aftermarket pack in the original charger.

All chargers designed to charge 2 Life cells in series will charge the pack correctly whether its 1250mah, or 2000mah, the CV/CC curve designed into the chargers system will monitor the voltage rise and once the voltage reaches the peak value the charger will start dropping the current until it gets to 10% of the preset capacity (in this case 125mah) then will shut down. This is a pretty standard arrangement for all Lithium chargers.

Now if you had a pack with Lithium Polymer cells which are 3.7v nominal, you would have an issue as the charger would start ramping down once it hit the charged limit for Li-ion, hence the Li-polymer would not charge fully.

Personally I doubt any of the camera packs out there have Li-polymer cells in them, more expensive to make and unstable compared to Li-ion.

I charge a SIDO aftermarket BLB13 pack in the pany charger with no issues. It does not show batt bar in the GF1 and does not last as long as the original, but its close.