Looking for pocket tripod

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by playak47, Jan 10, 2012.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
  2. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
  3. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I would go for the Gorillapod or similar (ie, like the Joby mentioned). I don't see much point in straight-up table-top tripods. If you have a table to rest it on, then why do you need a tripod? Setting the camera or your elbows on that table will mostly do the same thing. A Gorillapod is a little more versatile, as you can wrap it around a tree or pole or whatever. Mind you, I only use mine for flash, but then that's generally all I use tripods for too... so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

I used to have a C-Clamp camera mount which was pretty useful. It also had little folding legs so that it could be used as a table tripod, but the C-clamp was the useful part. I probably got a little more use out of that than the Gorillapod, as I liked to mount it on the dash of my car. I don't know where you find them anymore though.
  5. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I have the gorilla and the ultra pod.
    The ultra pod gets used, the gorilla pod doesn't . If my dad wants to borrow one, he goes for the ultra too.
    Finally. You did say pocket tripod. Again the ultra pod wins.
    If its floor level or rocks and boulders etc,
    You can't beat a bean bag . (IMO)
  6. darrenleow

darrenleow Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    I have the Ultrapod and use it very often. Works perfectly for point and shoots and M4/3 cameras

Shot this photo with the Ultrapod lashed (using the velcro strap) to a railing

7. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010

i count grams when i go hiking with 2 weeks of food in my backpack.
    i tried the gorillapod with my E420, it wasnt that bad but it was the one without the ballhead so harder to use.

Now i use a ultrapod mini ( heavier ultrapod will be more stable)
    i sometime combine it with an hiking staff and stakes from my shelter.

weight of tripod + cord 60g

far less practical and stable than my benro carbon + arcaswiss monoball P0, but 1/20th of the weight.
  8. novecentoundici

novecentoundici New to Mu-43

Dec 22, 2011
    Is the Ultrapod suitable for an E-PM1 + 14-150?
  9. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011

Something like this?

10. Gordy

Gordy New to Mu-43

Nov 6, 2011
    If you can find one, I really like the Manfrotto 797 Modo Pocket Tabletop "Tripod"--really a quadropod. You can see it at B&H, but it is discontinued there. I'm not sure about other sources.

It folds to less than credit-card size (although a little thicker), so I can always carry it with me. I often use it with a very small ball head (Manfrotto 482). The combination works very well with my E-P3.
  11. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I appreciate your help. I am glad my choice was a good one. Now i have to decide between the ultrapod II and Manfrotto 797 Modo Pocket Tabletop. I needed tripod on two occasions first was using railing by the river front and 2nd was on top of empire state building when i wanted to point down to get more view of the city and less of the horizon.

I am leaning towards 797 modo but how would that work on railings?

I know the joby would be excellent for railings but the two listed above seem even more compact. I guess i am looking for the most versatile from the two.
  12. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I have the Gorillapod Hybrid with a ballhead and built-in level. It's pretty nice and fits in the camera bag. Says it supports up to 1kg of gear but I haven't tried it with any heavier lenses.

Now the annoying thing is the E-PL1 not supporting an external shutter release. What a stupid choice by Olympus.