1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for photo spots in the Colorado Springs (Denver), CO area

Discussion in 'Mu-43 Member Activities, Meetups, and Hangouts' started by quatchi, Jul 27, 2014.

1. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Hey,

in the beginning of October this year, I will be in Colorado Springs. I haven't fully planned my trip yet, but I will have a car and am planning to make some time to go out with my E-M5. :)
    Is anyone familiar with that area? Can you give me some tips for nice shooting places (landscape, architecture, street)? I will take any hints ranging from those beautiful hidden gems up to the tourist things...

Thanks in advance!

2. quatchi

quatchi Mu-43 Veteran

May 17, 2012
    Munich, Germany
    Anyone? :bump:

3. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Look up "Garden of the Gods". That is one place you don't want to miss. Free park donated to city by wealthy man that passed. His only condition for donation was the park remain free to the public. Large red rocks stick up all around. Lots of great photo ops. Try a mountain bike tour to the top of Pike's Peak and down. You get some nice views from that too.

• Like Like x 2
  4. dpaultx

dpaultx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2014
    North TX
    "Garden of the Gods" is a truly beautiful place and a great photo-op. Another great photo-op is the campus of the U.S. Air Force Academy, especially the Chapel building on bright sunny days when the stained glass windows are fully illuminated.

If your not up to the mountain bike tour to the top of Pikes Peak (I know that, at 64 years old, I would no longer be) you can always drive to the top of the mountain for some fantastic panoramic views looking towards the east. ("America the Beautiful" and all that.) Even better than driving to the top of PP is to take the steam powered "Cog Train" up to the observation area. It's a full days trek, up and back down, but you get to experience rail service, as it once was, in addition to the magnificence of the Rockies. Lots of wildlife visible from the train on the way up the mountain.

And don't pass up the Manitou cliff dwellings located in Manitou Springs about five miles west of Colorado Springs. Great photo ops of ancient Indian cliff dwelling habitations. They even actually still sell real "film" in the gift shop!

all good . . . dp

• Like Like x 2
  5. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    Just to add... they used to have a one man service that would either rent you a mountain bike or you could use your own and for $50 would take you and bike to the top of Pikes Peak and let you just ride down. I could never see actually peddling to the top but, as I was riding down... i passed several hardcore riders that were riding up. (crazy) lol

6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Like others have said Garden of the Gods is not to be missed. In Oct you will have snow at the top of Pikes.

But you can also take a day trip to the Great Sand Dunes National Monument. That would be amazing!

-Joe

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chazworth

Chazworth Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 12, 2012
    Colorado (USA)
    Charlie
    The old mining towns of Cripple Creek and Victor are very scenic and make for great photos. They are about an hour's drive west of Colorado Springs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    • Like Like x 1