Looking for Panasonic G5 remote shutter accesorie

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by redalien, Jan 19, 2013.

1. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    I ordered a remote shutter release from amazon, description and reviews showed that it worked with the GH2 and G2, so I assumed since the G5 is a new release they didn't upgrade the description but it should still work. Turns out I was wrong.

Here is the item, would like something similar to this:

Amazon.com: RainbowImaging 100 Meter 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ20, FZ20K, FZ25, FZ30, FZ50, LC1, L10, L1, G1, GH1, GF1, GH2, G2 & Leica Digilux 1, DIGILUX 2, DIGILUX 3, Replaces panasonic DMW-RS1: Camera & Photo

I cant find any on amazon that specifically says it will work with the G5 and even on the Panasonic website I can't see one under the G5 accessories.

I would really like to have one and was hoping maybe someone here has some insight.
  2. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Odd. I am using a 4$ oem wired remote from my g1 with my g5 as well.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  3. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Its possible I had a DOA item, the led light indicators were blinking but it is possible there was something wrong with it, I didn't spend more then 10 minutes trying to get it to work, a 2 year old and a 1 month old leave me little time to tinker.
  4. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    For cable remote just get the one that are sold for 4$ on ebay.
    The device is very simple just a couple of resistors and button.
    There are also some radio remotes for 20$ i do not know their quality.
    If you use a more sophisticated remote such as Radio/Timer always connect is when the camera is off. The reason is that the camera is the power source and there is current on the camera connector, that if connected under power, can harm the cheap electronic on the remote.
  5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL

This page at Panasonic's US site
    lists their standard DMW-RSL-1 release, the same as all previous G models use, as an accessory for the G-5. Any properly made clone should work.

@phrenic: I'm sure you mean "3rd Party" and not "OEM". OEM means "Original Equipment Manufacturer" which would be the Pany DMW-RSL-1 which sells for $50-$80USD. A $4 release would be some 3rd party or "no-name" clone.

Again, as I stated above, a properly made clone should work. redalien is probably correct and the OP's sample is DOA. Scanning various reviews on Amazon indicates that this is a common occurance with a variety of the inexpensive clones.
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    You can also search on eBay for the Panasonic DMW-RS1. It is the older version of the DMW-RSL1, missing the lock slider. I have acquired two of them from eBay, both under € 20.
  7. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    My remote appears to be the same as yours which I had with my G3. I found when I first used it with my G5 that it did not work but I had the cable round the wrong way, the end with a right angle fitting needs to go in the camera, and then it worked fine.
  8. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    I had it that way. I'm thinking I might have not pushed it in all the way, even thou i knew from reviews I have to push a bit to get it sit right. I think I'll reorder the same one since you confirmed that it works.