1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for opinions...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PhotoPat, Jul 17, 2012.

1. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Should i adapt a 28mm?
    Or should i go with a native sigma 19mm or 30mm?
    I know the focal lengths are different, im really just looking for a mid length SHARP lens.
    I have heard mixed reviews on the sigma lenses and i am wondering if anyone here has two cents to throw my way on what i should purchase?
    Thank you!

2. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    What camera are you using?

Why not go with a Panasonic 20mm f/1.7? Tack sharp, fast aperture, tiny and light, affordable and native (no adaption needed).

Or the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4 for a bit more... larger but sharper and a longer range.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you are looking for something shorter than about 24mm, then native lenses are really a much better choice than adapted lenses. I would be surprised if the Sigma lenses are bested by many (any?) manual focus lenses in terms of sharpness. The Sigmas are not bad lenses, but many feel that they are not the best choices for :43: seeing as how they're basically lenses that were designed for APS sensors with a :43: mount grafted on.

Personally, I would have a difficult time rationalizing the S19 over the Panasonic 20mm native lens. I realize the P20 costs more, but it's also significantly faster (in terms of light) and more compact than the S19.

You'll find a variety of 28mm manual focus lenses in a number of mounts that you can pick up for much less than the S30. Many of these will approach the Sigma for sharpness and they will all have slightly different image characteristics. Which one is most pleasing to YOU is something that you'll have to determine on your own. Obviously the S30 is going to allow you to auto-focus which none of the adapted lenses in this focal length range will allow you to do (with the possible exception of the Four Thirds Sigma 30mm f/1.4).

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    On m43 that adapted 28 will give you the equivalent to a 56mm FOV on 35mm film. The Sigma 30, Panasonic 20 and Panasonic/Leica 25 all give you that same range. The Sigma was designed for the NEX and ported over to m43. On the NEX it is known as the Sigmarit by some folks and is supposedly very very sharp. For $200 I'd grab one for the NEX. I have no idea if the m43 version is as well received. I suspect not as on m43 you have other really good options and on the NEX there is a real dearth of good (affordable) native glass.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I would go for the Sigma 30 over most legacy 28's. I'd rather have full aperture metering and auto stop down than manual. For me that might be even better than auto focus which I've really come to appreciate.

Here's my take on the "odd focal length" argument. I never used zooms much on my film cameras. I've been using them for the past couple of years because it's all I've been able to afford and still have the versatility I want. There are no odd focal lengths. When I'm using my 14-45 I don't automatically stop at 25mm or 17.5mm or 42.5mm ( that 85/2 lens I had was my favorite). Every spot on that lens gets used.

Just like with any prime lens you can get used to seeing in it's frame. You may not care for it, but not because it's an odd length. It's just not for you. I never got on with 50mm lenses on my slr's, but it was fine on rangefinders.

One last thing on the focal length thing. Back in the day those standardized focal length lenses were rarely actually the length marked on the lens. They were usually off by a few mm.

I think I'd really like a native 35/2 as my longer than normal lens, but because 70mm is "odd" I don't think I'll ever see one. Oh well. Maybe the Sigma 30/2.8 would be close enough...

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    OP wanted a sharp lens. A legacy 28mm will be sharp at f8, but maybe not so good at f2.8. The best one I have is a Tamron 28mm and at f2.8 it's hardly better than the kit 14-42 wide open.

Everything I've read about the Sigmas has been good. Autofocus, modern coatings and much lighter than a 28mm and adapter.

7. PhotoPat

PhotoPat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Virginia
    Pat
    Wow! Thanks for all of the great input. I think im going to go with one of the sigmas. I feel I can make back most of the investment if I'm not too impressed. Thank you again.