Looking for Opinions: Sirui N-1004X vs N-2004X

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ijm5012, Nov 28, 2015.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I own a fair amount of m43 gear (2 GH4's, the f/2.8 zooms, 7-14 f/4, 15, 25, 42.5 primes), and am looking for a heavier tripod. I currently own a Sirui T-005X (link), but am looking for a tripod that will give me a little more height and stability. Currently, with the T-005X I can get a max height of 49" without extending the center column, and 58" when I extend the center column.

The two tripods I'm looking at are the Sirui N-1004X and N-2004X with a K-20X ball head. The N-1004X gives me a height of 52"/63", and the N-2004X gives me a height of 55"/65". I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with either of the two tripods I'm looking at getting?

Also, It seems like the extra 5"-8" of height really isn't a whole lot when going from what I currently have to what I'm looking at, but I'm guessing the two tripods would have better stability at their max height than the one I currently have.

Would it be a worth upgrade to the N-1004X/2004X from what I currently have if I'm looking for a bit more height and stability?

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have an EN-2204 with K-20X. It's basically the N-2004 but with CF legs and flip rather than twist locks.

You'll definitely get better stability, the N-1x have twice the capacity and the N-2x about 2.5 times, and both have thicker legs. Importantly, you can get higher without extending the centre column on these larger pods. The N-2x have retractable spiked feet over the N-1x series as well as thicker legs.

3. laser8

laser8 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 29, 2013
    Mare nostrum, Istria
    I don't know how much the height is important to you, in which case this is not something to consider, but have you tried hanging some weight from the hook below the central column? This may solve the stability issue cheaply.

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I'm getting the K-20X in a few days and I'm also considering the legs to go with it. I asked a similar question here months ago.

With the Sirui N-2xxx you'd move from a 22mm section to 28mm, that should make a difference. With the 1xxx models the top section is 25mm, quite similar even if section difference counts a lot.
    If you plan to fully extend all the four sections I'd go as big as you can. Even more if you plan to get the O300 or longer lenses.

I'd consider this one too: same price, carbon, 32mm legs, similar size, bigger folded, little more height:

Desmond DFC-432 Traveller Tripod Legs 4 Section 72" Height Carbon Fiber Fibre

but not many reviews around yet:
    http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/...ories/308577-desmond-tripods-accessories.html
    S.C.V. Photography Ideas: Desmond to Release own Brand Carbon Fiber Tripods Soon

5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks for the link @Klorenzo@Klorenzo, unfortunately it doesn't look like the Desmond tripod has a leg that'll come off and serve as a monopod. That's one of the biggest features that has me looking at the NX series of tripods, as it saves me from having to pack a tripod AND a monopod, something I use quite frequently when shooting panning shots of cars.

The price difference between the N-1004 & N-2004 is only about $30, so I'd likely end up going with the N-2004 since it's marginally more money but gets me more height and stability. As much as I'd like a carbon tripod to help remove some of the weight, I'm not entirely certain it's worth the extra cost (roughly $200 or so).

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Ian,

It has been said before, and correctly so, that leg diameter is a key factor to stability. Unless you need some other factor from the 100X series, I would go with the next series up and get the larger leg diameter.

--Ken

7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Good plan if you are strictly limited to those two. Leg joints affect stability, too, but just looking at the increase in leg diameter from 25mm to 28mm gets you about 20% more stiffness in the tubes.

If you can open up your candidates list a little, it might be a good idea to check Benro. Many of their tripods have monopod conversions (which I like, too) and you can probably find bigger legs. I bought a C2192 from dc-photo-stuff on eBay. It's carbon and it was expensive, but if you look up that guy's auctions you will find that his descriptions include excellent specification tables comparing the various Benro offerings. So it would be relatively easy to see if there's something there that's attractive. Aluminum tripod numbers begin with "A" and carbon with "C."

8. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks for the tip. Yes I'm willing to look outside of Sirui, I just default there because I know that they make quality products at competitive prices, and I'm quite pleased with how my T-005X & C-10X perform, I just need something that'll give me a bit more height and stability than what I have now.

I'm in no rush to purchase, as I have a tripod that works well now, but I want to start doing my reseat to see what's out there that will fit what I'm looking for.

9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    OK, since you are not in a rush here's another idea: Lurk on eBay watching for Gitzo "2" series tripods, usually identified as "Reporter" and having 28mm legs. An additional designation as "Performance" means that it has multi-position legs. "Compact" means four-section legs instead of three sections. These are great tripods but may be a tad heavy, so there's a tradeoff for you. At one point I owned a "Reporter Compact Performance" and it was a really solid citizen. With patience you should be able to score one in the $100 range, leaving some money for a separate monopod.

Current examples:
    Gitzo Tripod Legs, vintage #309166
    GITZO Aluminium Tripod made in France

If you're interested in this idea, PM me with an email address and I'll send you a PDF of a Gitzo catalog that lists most of the older tripods with specs: heights, weights, etc. Offer open to anyone else, too.

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Thanks for the offer, but I already have a Sirui P-series monopod that works quite well. The reason I liked the Sirui NX series is because it can serve as both a tripod and monopod, which is useful when I travel, as I wouldn't have to pack a tripod and monopod with me, reducing the amount of space taken up by camera gear.

It seems like the N-2004X (or a similar tripod from a different manufacturer) is the right way to go, giving me more heigh & stability, while also serving as a tripod & monopod in one.

11. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The Desmond has the monopod leg too.

12. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I didn't realize that before, but yes it appears that it does. Hmmm...

The Desmond DCF-432 appears to slot in between the Sirui N-2204X & 3204X.

The 2204X has a max height of 55"/65", weighs 3.3 lbs, and costs $435 (the 2004X, non-carbon version, weighs 4.0 lbs and costs $196)
    The 3204X has a max height of 58"/69", weighs 4.2 lbs, and costs $465
    The DCF-432 has a max height of 60"/72", weighs 3.8 lbs, and costs $200

So it gives me an extra 5"/7" of reach, weighs 0.2 ls. less, and costs the same amount as the N-2204X that I am considering. Very interesting...

I'll have to do some digging to see what reviews surface for DCF-432, as it looks like it may be a good option to get a slightly lighter tripod that gives me a lot more height and stability.

13. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    So I figure I'd provide an update to this since a number of you chimed in. I decided to go with the Desmond DFC-432 and pair it with a Sirui K-20X ball head. Together they cost me $300 ($170 for the legs and $130 for the head), and I ended up getting $30 cash back since I bought them through Amazon with my Chase credit card.

The Desmond tripod is very well built IMO. The legs lock/unlock via rubberized quarter-turn locks. The carbon legs are very stiff, the leg position locks are very secure, and the tripod is surprisingly light for what it is (about 4.5 lbs with the head on it).

I ultimately went with with the DFC-432 because of its height without extending the center column, and the height of the monopod. I'm 6'3", and when I mount my camera on the ball-head, it's just about at my eye level (I have to crouch a bit, but nothing terrible). The same is true when using the monopod feature of the tripod, it's just about at my eye level so I can stand and pan easily.

Time will tell how the tripod will hold up, but I'd be surprised if it gave me any issues. I'm not terribly tough on my gear, and would transport it in the provided padded bag. This tripod will allow me to leave my Sirui monopod at home, and will allow me to have both a full-size tripod as well as monopod in one package, and the light weight is great for traveling.

I have no problem recommending this tripod to anyone interested. If size is a concern, they also make and sell a DFC-428 that is smaller and lighter than the DFC-432. It comes bundled with a head (the head isn't that great), but in an email from the retailer (OEC), they said that if I submitted an offer of $120 on eBay and made note that I only want the tripod and not the head, they'd accept (saving $50 over the larger DFC-432).

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1