1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for new cataloging / raw processing software

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by jziegler, Feb 12, 2013.

1. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    I've been using a combination of Media Pro for cataloging and Capture One for raw processing for a while now, which worked reasonably well when I was using Nikon DSLRs, but now that I've moved to m43 there are a few glitches with it:

.ORF files can not be annotated by Media Pro
    Capture one does not support lens distortion correction on .RW2 files from my G3

Combined with a seeming reluctance from Phase One to fully support Panasonic and Olympus cameras, I'm looking for other options for my workflow. I'd like to find out what works well with both Olympus and Panasonic cameras, and produces good quality output.

Now that Lightroom is affordably priced, it is a consideration (I bought all of the Phase One software at various sale prices, I feel their full price is too high). Since it's used so commonly, there seems to be more information on using it out there than anything else. What else should I evaluate?

Thanks,
    Jim

edit:

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on an intel i5 based machine with 8GB of RAM. I'm only interested in programs that run on Windows.

2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Don't look far Lightroom will support both your cameras and give you future proof with it's DNG files.

3. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    i've been very happy with Lightroom as well.

4. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I am happy with Lightroom 4: easy workflow, many tutorials available, Huelight colour profiles mean that the default settings match the camera's JPEG output, and, at half the price of the previous version, it is now quite affordable.

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I went LR. I think there could be "better" solutions in terms of workflow or output (though not likely both in one product), "future proof" should also be a consideration, and LR looks to have the best/longest legs of any of them.

6. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Lightroom is a really great piece of software.

7. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    I agree, except when dealing with correction of common m43 lenses. For that, I use DxO Optics Pro 8, then output to Lightroom.

Bob

8. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Lightroom since version 1 and it just keeps getting better.

9. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Wow, overwhelming for Lightroom. I'm about to download the trial to see what I think of it. I was expecting to have at least one person suggest something else. Thanks for the input!

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I suspect you'll have a bit of a learning curve. I found it not at all intuitive. Once learned, however, I think it works quite well. There are many video tutorials floating around the web, as well as a great many books, so if it seems a struggle at first, don't right it off.

11. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
    I tried AfterShot Pro, Raw Therapee, you name it and was reluctant to go LR. I ended up using the trial and I was hooked like a crack addict. No going back for me. LR plus my Topaz and Nik plugins does what I need efficiently.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  13. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Yeah, LR is where it is at.

Yes, there are RAW converters that will do one particular thing a bit better (e.g. demosaic or color) but the LR engine is very good and the tool set mature and easy to use. With all the local edits now available PS is a very rare thing to use.

Yes, it isn't going to do asset management as well as a dedicated tool but it has most everything you want for anyone but a 50,000 image per year stock photographer.

Most importantly it does it all in one integrated package. I'd say back at LR2 you were making trade-offs for "all-in-one" but now it is approaching best of breed in multiple categories.

As for the learning curve it sounds like you have a lot of experience and won't need much hand-holding. I've found Nat Coalson's books to be excellent on covering LR from a workflow perspective. He isn't going to cover every single feature like Martin Evening and he isn't going to give you 30 pages of printed dialog boxes with arrows pointing to each thing you click like Scott Kelby. Instead he'll focus on what is useful with good suggestions on what to use. That said, if you are a kitchen sink kind of techie you can't go wrong with Evening.

Ken

14. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Thanks for the help on this. I have the trial installed, and it is importing my photo catalog right now. It seems to be doing pretty well, even the hierarchical keywords are being imported, which I didn't really expect. I think that I'll find the publish services to be useful, that's something that needs to be done manually in my Phase One workflow. I'll see what I think when the import is done and can start playing around more in the develop module.

Have an of you Lightroom users been using either the free or premium version of the OnOne Perfect Effects? I know the Kelby people (I watch some of their videos) seem to like Perfect Layers, does anyone here find it useful?

Thanks,
    Jim