1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for mini tripod that fits in camera bag.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by zensu, Jul 29, 2015.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I've got a Joby GorillaPod Focus mini tripod but at 15" there is no way it will fit in a camera bag. I can't even find a case/pouch that it will fit in and Joby doesn't offer any case for this either.
    Do any of you know a good mini tripod that would fit in a medium (9"+-) camera bag?
    PS, the biggest camera and lens combo would be my EP-5 with the P/L 42.5mm F1.2 lens (28+ oz.)
    Thanks!
    Bobby

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Manfrotto Pixi mini.

This slots in tot he back of my bag and is almost forgotten about until it's needed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I use two different small tripods. A Pedco Ultrapod Compact Tripod
    IMG_0168.JPG
    More pics and details: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-ultrapod-compact-tripod.html
    Which I really like, I use it when I want to put myself in a pic. I also have a slightly bigger Giottos Compact Tripod. I have used it for taking pics at night with 30 sec exposures and they have turned out great.
    IMGP0836.JPG
    More pics and details: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2011/11/review-giottos-compact-tripod-with-ball.html
    P1270087.

I now have a bigger 3 Legged Thing, but the smaller ones come with me more often!

-Joe

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Runefh

Runefh Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Denmark
  5. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

6. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
  7. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    If you want to go really small, the Joby GorillaPod Micro 800 might be worth a look.
    Joby_GP20_01AM_GORILLAPOD_MICRO_800_GRAY_1318350027000_825599.

It's small enough that you could just leave it attached to the camera:
    1318349901000_IMG_224233.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I have the ultrapod II too. It's 7.2 inches long. It's all plastic but feel solid. I only added a drop of glue to avoid loosing the feet.

From the pictures I like the Joby Micro Hybrid very much.

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Manfrotto pixi is nice and reasonably priced. Very convenient to use and sturdy enough for mft with all but the heaviest lenses.

http://www.manfrotto.us/pixi

11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I have the Joby Micro Hybrid. I attached cable tiers to the base of one leg and at the other side. I attach those by carabiners on my camerabag. And use it as a handle. And when I am on the bike i put this on the steering wheel, thus my bag is in sight while cycling.

I will make a picture of it to clarify .

12. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
  13. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    I picked up an old Yashica ST-7 tripod for about $15 on eBay. Its a neat little monopod that can be transformed into a tripod and has a ball head on it. It's also quite compact. It's served its purpose well for me.

tripod2. tripod1.
    tripod4.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have one of these I bought on a whim from the Target clearance rack. It's not bad if you don't need to adjust angle much and have a stable and flat surface to set it on. Due to the size, it is Only really usable with lighter setups. One bummer is that the attachment flange is really narrow and unpadded, so it actually creates stress and digs into your camera a bit under weight. It's left marks around the tripod socket on anything that weighs more than a Canon ELPH. Also, the rubber feet are breaking off after only a little usage. I'm glad I only paid $6 for mine and it woudn't be my first choice for mirrorless.

Edit: I may have the model slightly smaller than the one you've shown, but many of my comments would still apply.

15. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, there is a smaller version which is more likely to be the one you would have found at Target. But certainly your comments about the limited angle of adjustment and most likely the build quality are likely to carry over to this slightly larger model.

16. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I have one like first boulderjoe shows. Very handy. Haven't tried with my E-M1 but know it'll work with E-PL6.

Also have a Lollipod from UK. Bit pricey and may not meet your closed-up 9" requirement: http://www.cultofmac.com/258561/lollipod-iphone-camera-stand-review/.

Honestly, though, I've started using my old Lowepro Passport Sling and with front compartment expanded I can fit my MeFoto DayTrip inside comfortably. It extends to 2' and collapses to 9.4" and is very strong. Weighs less than two pounds but may be a bit bulky for some bags: http://www.mefoto.com/products/daytrip.aspx.

17. Runefh

Runefh Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 26, 2015
    Denmark
    That's a nice looking tripod. Might just have to get one [emoji106][emoji2]

• Like Like x 2
  18. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks to all who offered so many options in small tripods. I'll have to think about this while I consider the features of all these options. Thanks to all of you for giving me a treasure of choices!
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  19. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have an almost identical tripod which I bought around 45 years ago, I guess. The only differences in appearance are that the metal parts above and below the main area of the barrel stem and the legs are chrome/silver metallic on mine and that the locking plate on the tripod bush at the top is solid metal on mine. The brand on the base of mine is Bilora Stabilet and it also says "Made in Germany". I've lost the wrist strap at the bottom but I do remember it having one.

I rarely use it these days but I found it useful when I was using it decades ago. For some reason I never got rid of it when I sold my film camera and dropped out of photography for many years.

20. tm3

tm3 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2011
    Re the day trip ...

Is it's diameter when folded as small as or smaller than that of a one liter Nalgene water bottle? Many bags have water bottle pockets and a tripod that fit the pocket but was extendable to a useful height would be great.