Looking for lightweight , sturdy ballhead

Real Name
Heather
I currently have an older Feisol Tournament CT-3442 tripod with a Kirk BH-3 ballhead. Weight-wise the tripod is OK, but the ballhead adds a lot of weight (20 oz.) to the setup.

I am looking for suggestions for a lighter weight, yet still sturdy ballhead. Thinking ahead, the heaviest body/lens combination I might mount on to it would be a M1 series/12-100. The Kirk I have is rated at 15 pounds.

Budget for new ballhead—$150.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer. 😊

bargainguy

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Don
My preferred travel head is the Acratech Ultimate. Sadly, about twice your budget if you buy new, but they sometimes pop up on the used market for less, which is where I got mine about a decade ago.

I have half a dozen other ball heads to reach for when traveling, but this is my favorite. It is incredibly lightweight for a ball head. It's sturdy as well, easy to position, not fiddly like some other heads.

Whenever I use it, I marvel at its simplicity. This is as stripped down as it gets for industrial design, but it works incredibly well.

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So, you want a new ball head that is an improvement on your old ball head but that costs half as much?

You can have a cheap ball head. You can have a good ball head. But you can't have a good, cheap ball head.

Acratech.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
So, you want a new ball head that is an improvement on your old ball head but that costs half as much?
I think she said she wanted a lighter-weight head that costs about $150. That's certainly doable, even one that is "still sturdy," IMHO.

Edit: I like Sirui ballheads and have several smaller ones (for travel). The Sirui K-20x seems to fit your requirements - .9 lbs, $140.

Last edited:

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
But you can't have a good, cheap ball head.
Sure you can. There are plenty of decent ballheads in the OP's price range (see above post) Maybe not the best but plenty good enough and much, much cheaper. Also I think the OP wants something lighter too which rules out the Acratech.

Frankly I'd shop for something less than $100 B&H and less than 8oz

Last edited:

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Sure you can. There are plenty of decent ballheads in the OP's price range (see above post) Maybe not the best but plenty good enough and much, much cheaper. Also I think the OP wants something lighter too which rules out the Acratech.

Frankly I'd shop for something less than $100 B&H and less than 8oz
Yes, I agree that you could go even smaller and lighter. The smaller Sirui heads I have would also work fine with the lens and camera she mentions. I just figured coming from such high-end equipment, a much smaller head would be too much culture shock... ;)

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, I agree that you could go even smaller and lighter. The smaller Sirui heads I have would also work fine with the lens and camera she mentions. I just figured coming from such high-end equipment, a much smaller head would be too much culture shock... ;)
My experience is that movements are smoother with the larger balls and the friction and lock settings are less fussy. You do not see small ball sizes in the top tier of ball heads.

threeOh

Mu-43 Regular
I also have the K-20x. It’s good for the money. I’m thinking I paid $125. I mount up to 2 pounds to it. Not sure how much more I’d be comfortable with.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
My experience is that movements are smoother with the larger balls and the friction and lock settings are less fussy. You do not see small ball sizes in the top tier of ball heads.
I agree completely. But if lightweight is a prime consideration for a particular use, then a compromise is necessary, I think. :)

Russ L. Miller

New to Mu-43
I currently have an older Feisol Tournament CT-3442 tripod with a Kirk BH-3 ballhead. Weight-wise the tripod is OK, but the ballhead adds a lot of weight (20 oz.) to the setup.

I am looking for suggestions for a lighter weight, yet still sturdy ballhead. Thinking ahead, the heaviest body/lens combination I might mount on to it would be a M1 series/12-100. The Kirk I have is rated at 15 pounds.

Budget for new ballhead—$150.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer. 😊
https://www.amazon.com/AOKA-Profile.../dp/B08B85D9LL/ref=psdc_3347671_t1_B083D7CSV1

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If you want to try cheap but from a fairly good supplier, Smallrig has a small ballhead for not much money.
It should be worth a try $29.90 USD
SmallRig Aluminum Panoramic Ball Head 3034
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-aluminum-panoramic-ball-head-3034.html

smallrig.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Key Features:
1. Panoramic head with accurate calibration and independent pan knob for panoramic photography.
2. Ball head with knob supports multi-angle adjustment and quick switch between vertical shooting and horizontal shooting.
3. Standard Arca-Swiss style plate compatible with other Arca-Swiss clamps ensures a quick mount/dismount of your device.
4. The ball head holds up to 5kg.

SmallRig Aluminum Panoramic Ball Head 3034, which is made of aluminum, is solid and secure. With a safety payload of 5kg, it is the perfect head for amateur photographers who need a quick, smart, and simple head for their compact DSLR, mirrorless camera, smartphone, action camera, or other devices. It’s compatible with most of the photography tripods or monopods. The ball head with accurate calibration supports 360° panoramic rotation for panoramic shooting, -90°/+45° front tilt, and -50°/+50° lateral tilt for multi-angle adjustment, including horizontal shooting and vertical shooting. It comes with a standard Arca-Swiss plate compatible with other Arca-Swiss clamps to ensure a quick mount/dismount of your device

Package Includes:
1 x Panoramic ball head
1 x 1/4” to 3/8” screw adapter

Product Dimensions: 75 x 68 x 58mm
Package Dimensions: 90 x 85 x 50mm
Net Weight: 161±5g
Package Weight: 195±5g
Material(s): Aluminum Alloy
Ball head safety payload: 5kg
Top attachment: 1/4”-20 screw
Bottom attachment: 3/8”-16 screw
Base diameter: 38mm
Front tilt: -90°/+45°
Lateral tilt: -50°/+50°
Panoramic rotation: 360°

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom