Looking for lens recommendations for GH3 -- specific use cases

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by KHuang, Jul 9, 2013.

1. KHuang

KHuang New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on lenses.

I just picked up a Panasonic GH3, but am not sure I want to go and spend on the 12-35mm and 35-100mm lenses, especially since I am new to cameras. Instead, I'd rather pick up 1 or 2 more budget lenses, at the very least until I get a hang of what I'm doing.

Budget is under $1,000.

Here are my 3 use cases -- note that I need both still and video:

- Product photography for an online store -- sizewise ranging from an iPhone case up to large duffel/travel bags. Both traditional product photography and lifestyle shots. I'll be buying proper lighting, tripod, etc.

- Video for the store -- think fashion-ish shoots / lifestyle shoots featuring products same size as above. Possibly some interviews as well.

- General personal use for travel, street photography, etc.

Have been considering the panasonic 14-45mm and 20 f1.7 prime, together costing me $600-700. However, not sure if my products will be too small for the 14-45mm to cut it for all my use cases above...

Alternatively, I went to a camera store today and they recommended the 14-140mm to cover all my bases.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    I would recommend the 14-140 + the 20/1.7.

The 14-140 will cover most situations. When you need low-light, use the 20.

That should keep you covered until you have a better idea of what you will need.