Looking for lens recommendations for GH3 -- specific use cases

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by KHuang, Jul 9, 2013.

1. KHuang

KHuang New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on lenses.

I just picked up a Panasonic GH3, but am not sure I want to go and spend on the 12-35mm and 35-100mm lenses, especially since I am new to cameras. Instead, I'd rather pick up 1 or 2 more budget lenses, at the very least until I get a hang of what I'm doing.

Budget is under $1,000.

Here are my 3 use cases -- note that I need both still and video:

- Product photography for an online store -- sizewise ranging from an iPhone case up to large duffel/travel bags. Both traditional product photography and lifestyle shots. I'll be buying proper lighting, tripod, etc.

- Video for the store -- think fashion-ish shoots / lifestyle shoots featuring products same size as above. Possibly some interviews as well.

- General personal use for travel, street photography, etc.

Have been considering the panasonic 14-45mm and 20 f1.7 prime, together costing me $600-700. However, not sure if my products will be too small for the 14-45mm to cut it for all my use cases above...

Alternatively, I went to a camera store today and they recommended the 14-140mm to cover all my bases.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    I would recommend the 14-140 + the 20/1.7.

The 14-140 will cover most situations. When you need low-light, use the 20.

That should keep you covered until you have a better idea of what you will need.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.