Looking for input into an Off Camera Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DigitalD, Sep 16, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    So its time to have a good flash again. I haven't had one for over a year and I am finding I'm really missing it. I have the EM5mkII and I am down to basically these two.

The FL-600r: Great compact fully Olympus TTL compatible wireless flash. Plenty of power for my needs. $250

Yongnuo YN560 IV : Larger size, plenty of power, fast recycle completely manual flash. More power for my needs but not as convenient as everything is manual/ $60 (I have a line on a used one)

My objective is to have a nice bright fill flash I can use during the day and definitely want to be able to trigger it off camera.

Im not sure but I think I can trigger the YN560 using my little flash that came with the EM5II. Does anyone know? Worst case I have a little generic flash trigger that I can use. Im only using the one flash at the moment so triggering the flash is not a big deal.

The FL600 is a no brainer. I know it will work. Ill get wireless TTL. Its smaller therefore will be easier to have on me all the time. But its so much more expensive.

The alternative is getting the FL300r which is about $99 now (used) but I think the power will be just below what I want to use it for.

Any thoughts, ideas or if you want to share what you decided on please let me know.
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For strobist off camera use, I wouldn't think the FL-600R is powerful enough. I've got a Nissin i40 (similar or maybe 2 GN higher than the FL-600R) as well as YN560-IIIs and I reach for the YNs every time for off camera controlled lighting stuff.

As a nice fill flash though, I'd say the FL-600R is better. Manual fill is a bit of a pain. You can definitely trigger the YN remotely (set it toS2 digital optical slave mode) but I'd say having FP TTL is a huge bonus in fill flash situations. When I think I might need a bit of fill flash on a trip I take my i40 rather than the YNs.

You might want to have a look at the Panasonic DMW-FL360L - it's a rebadge of the FL-600R, but for whatever reason is often cheaper.
  3. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks for the info! Yes, I think my plan is to start with the FL600R because its fits so nicely with the system and then when I know I want to do more off camera lighting situations I will supplement with the YN's . I will look into the panasonic tho, I knew they were the same but didn't see a difference in price.
  4. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    I have a FL300r and it is DEFINITELY not suitable for your intended use. It's way underpowered for use as a day time fill flash.

You may also wish to look at the Metz mecablitz 44-AF1, it's a bit cheaper than the FL300r and has similar specs. ~$220 new.

Also it looks like Roberts Camera through EBAY has some demo Metz mecablitz 58-AF2's for $300 (I have a 58-AF2 for Nikon and it's an impressive flash with a built in fill flash in addition to the main head.) The Metz 58-AF2 is equivalent to Panasonics FL-580L/Olympus FL50r power wise.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Just keep in mind that the FL-600R is basically a 4-battery version of the FL-36R (which uses two batteries). So not as strong as the FL-50R nor the Yongnuo YN560 IV you mentioned. It will probably recycle faster than the FL-36R though since it has more batteries.
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Panasonic version of the FL600R (Panasonic DMW-FL360L) is often quite a bit cheaper. For example, $227 vs $299 at Adorama today.

They are fully interchangeable, so keep that in mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to actually give the Yongnuo YN560 IV a try. At $70 how can you go wrong. Im ok with shooting manually with a flash, plus it has a plenty of power for the off camera stuff I want to do. We'll see if Im right about that ;)
  8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    You've got a point and as a result my wallet got lighter. I've held out long enough for a TTL flash, and your post pushed me off the cliff. Thank goodness there was a ledge to break my fall called Meike MK320.. For only AUD 95 it was not so bad!

Good choice mate. I've got a couple of those and I'm happy as can be. Well, until at some point I remembered I just want a small TTL unit on the go..

I also have a pair of RF605s thrown into the mix to trigger my other flashes and the Meike. But now I'm thinking about the flashq! This is getting more and more like a never ending cliff. :doh:
  9. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Yongnuos are great, at a killer price. No TTL and HSS, though. People do talk about their tendency to break/fail from time to time (stuck at full power or full zoom). At that price, who cares, just remember to buy from a reputable source and with the option of return if running into a defective unit.

Don't forget, the IV also serves as a transmitter (if you have multiple IIIs or IV), replacing the TX unit that often came bundled with the III. The 560tx is still good to have, as it is smaller/lighter than the flash.

It definitely does recycle much faster, it's not even a question. But yeah, for off camera flash use, FL50r is more appropriate.
  10. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    Weird ebay listing: the title and photo are for the 58 AF-2 Digital, but the detailed description says it's a 28 AF-3 Digital, which is an $80 unit.
  11. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Yep I saw that in a few places. I bought it from Amazon. Their return policy is great. Thanks for the tip!
  12. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    Love the Nissin i40. Yongnuos are big for me on a DSLR, and downright comical on MFT. The i40 is compact and TTL.
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's why I have both... I don't use my Yongnuos on the hot shoe, ever. Always with the YN560-TX trigger or with a chord. The i40 is for on camera or TTL chord use. The i40 is a bit weak with an umbrella or softbox though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 5, 2012

If anyone is interested in a fully compatible TTL radio trigger system for Olympus, have a look at the Aokatec AK-TTL. Once set up it works really well.
  15. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    Sorry I'm a little late in replying here. I did reviews of both the Yongnuo IV and Nissin i40 and both are good flashes.

Yongnuo YN560IV Review
    Nissin i40 Review

The YN560-IV can be triggered optically from another flash, but in daylight that can be hit and miss. For better control consider the YN-560-TX which is wireless and can trigger more remote YN560-IV than you're likely to be using. Yongnuo YN560-TX Review There are two versions, Nikon and Canon, but the Canon version has a small problem with the pins on the Olympus bodies (you need to either remove a pin or be a little more persuasive when attaching!).

Alas, the YN560 range is manual only and not TTL.

The Nissin is TTL but not as big. That's both good and bad depending on whether you're travelling or trying to light bigger sets.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    The website specifically mentions Olympus but not Panasonic. Do you think this would work with an LX100?