Looking for help with a softbox

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Droogie, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Hi all, just in the process of ordering a softbox for some off camera flash experimenting. My question is if anyone has any comments on the Westcott (9x12) PocketBox Max, The Flashpoint brand equivalent or the LumiQuest version . . . The LumiQuest seems to be the pricier of the 3. Any help or other brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have used both the Westcott and Lumiquest products. They are adequate for what they do. Each of them will attenuate the flash unit's output by about 1 stop.
    What I didn't care for is the fact that the flash unit's output is still pointed at the subject. Yes, I could still see the hotspot on the subjects of my images. I transitioned to a BIG reflective umbrella for studio work to obtain even greater dispersion of light.

For in-situ, field work, I became weary of attaching soft boxes to my flash units. Although lightweight overall, these mini softboxes are still heavy enough and cumbersome when attached to a flash unit that it was not worth my time to set-up. I have since been using big bounce cards. There are some fancy and costly variations; however, I have found an adequate substitute in the form of ordinary white 8.5 x 11-inch card stock available from my local arts & crafts store for less than a dollar per sheet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.