1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Looking for help with a softbox

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Droogie, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    Hi all, just in the process of ordering a softbox for some off camera flash experimenting. My question is if anyone has any comments on the Westcott (9x12) PocketBox Max, The Flashpoint brand equivalent or the LumiQuest version . . . The LumiQuest seems to be the pricier of the 3. Any help or other brand recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

2. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I have used both the Westcott and Lumiquest products. They are adequate for what they do. Each of them will attenuate the flash unit's output by about 1 stop.
    What I didn't care for is the fact that the flash unit's output is still pointed at the subject. Yes, I could still see the hotspot on the subjects of my images. I transitioned to a BIG reflective umbrella for studio work to obtain even greater dispersion of light.

For in-situ, field work, I became weary of attaching soft boxes to my flash units. Although lightweight overall, these mini softboxes are still heavy enough and cumbersome when attached to a flash unit that it was not worth my time to set-up. I have since been using big bounce cards. There are some fancy and costly variations; however, I have found an adequate substitute in the form of ordinary white 8.5 x 11-inch card stock available from my local arts & crafts store for less than a dollar per sheet.