1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Looking for Hard Case for E-M1, Lens & Flash

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by DWhite, May 17, 2015.

1. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    I'm looking for a hard case with foam lining to hold:
    1. Olympus E-M1
    2. Olympus 12-40mm Pro lens (mounted)
    3. Olympus FL-600R flash

I'd like to keep it as small as possible while still holding all of the above safely. I'm hoping to be able to toss this kit in my car more frequently than I do today and thus make more opportunities to shoot.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm looking at the Pelican 1450 but I think it might actually be too large.

I've never owned a hard case before.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    This is going to sound terrible but go to a Canon sponsored event. The last few times I've been to those sorts of shindigs they give away promotional items including hard backpack/cases. I use one for film gear, not entirely sure what bag it's based on however it's a fibreglass reinforced plastic hard case that's stood up (and was free!). I have no idea if this is typical for most events however it seems common in my experience.

I have half a dozen or so bags like it I use for storage/transport of equipment, if you were anywhere near me I'd just send you one but shipping to the US is robbery :)

In my experience Olympus doesn't give away free equipment for their camera related stuff, I think the only things I've ever seen being given away as promotional items were the wrap case things. I have two of them that I use to fit more in carry on when traveling or for putting my camera in a handbag etc, they work well for that however they don't protect equipment from more than abrasion when rubbing against other items.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/894822-REG/Olympus_v601057uw000_CS_35_Wrapping_Cloth.html

3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I missed the park about pelican cases, I personally dislike them due to the huge weight and bulk however they do offer a high level of protection.

I think the 1300 would be the one I would go for, however you really need to get a hands on and make sure it works for you.
    http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1300

4. DWhite

DWhite Mu-43 Regular

Jun 23, 2013
    David
    Thanks for the suggestion. After checking the specs; I think you're right about the 1300 being a better fit. I've got one on order right now and should have it in a couple of days.

I generally agree about the size and weight concerns; but this is for storing my camera in the car. I'm hoping that by leaving my camera in the car more, I'll start using it a lot more.

5. RKStarr

RKStarr Mu-43 Regular

You might look at the SKB i-series 1209. This is by far my favorite hard case. It is light but strong, and it fits neatly in the bottom of my backpack when I travel so if I am forced to gate-check it, I am not in a paralysis of fear the whole flight.

It comes with a full complement of soft velcro dividers which are not shown here, as your configuration will vary. I have robbed them for other bags, since I now use the Oly grip which makes the camera too deep to fit in this case without detaching it. This case is also more commonly available with foam. p1190351112-4.

p1190358977-4.

Last edited: May 20, 2015