Looking for gx7 portraits taken under fluorescent light

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by isabel95, Apr 2, 2014.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

....in silent mode! (have to use the correct shutter speed to avoid banding!).

I'm often called upon to shoot stealthily in a fluorescent lit venue.

Would love to see what sort of skin colors you're getting in the above situation.

Isabel

2. isabel95

I received an email with a response to the above message but it's not showing here. This reply is for the responder who said he had bad results with compact fluorescents:

It's the cycling of fluorescent bulbs that causes that banding...and apparently if you find the correct speed for the type of bulbs you're using for light, you may be able to avoid the banding.

Check out this message (especially) and the rest of the thread for more on the banding problem with silent mode: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53427391

It's entirely possible that compact fluorescents cycle at a different rate from the long ceiling fluorescent tubes, so results are bound to vary, but experimentation may yield some shutter speeds that are safe, so working in shutter priority in the silent shutter/fluorescent situation may be a good idea.

Please do some experimentation and report back!

TIA.
    Isabel

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I don't believe it to be at all entirely possible that CFLs cycle at a different rate. The USA uses 60 Hz AC for their electricity. There's no magic going on here, just the pesky laws of physics. If you're taking photos significantly faster than the frequency of the lighting, then you aren't going to get uniform lighting, simple as that. The lightbulb that you see isn't really solid, just too fast for you to perceive. Nothing is true, the cake is a lie.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Assuming you're talking about actual skin tones versus brown banding from frequency conflicts, bad skin color under fluorescent lighting is likely going to be most heavily affected by white balance.

This is one situation where it's definitely worth investing in a WhiBal card or similar to set a custom white balance in-camera (or use to set a custom WB in post later).

5. isabel95

Example of Olympus color under fluorescents - (no silent shutter, however - no banding)

Horizontal banding across the entire image in stripes is one issue; skin color is another.

The E-pl5 does fantastically well under fluorescent light, although it doesn't have a silent mode. It's given me the best skin color I've seen under fluorescent lights from any camera I've owned.

Here's an example at ISO 1600: 154662538.

Isabel

• Like Like x 1
  6. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Fluorescent lights typically switch off and on in synch with the frequency of that ac power (60 Hz). High frequency fluorescent lights cycle at 120 Hz. As for skin tones I assume you are referring to jpegs. Panasonic and Olympus jpegs are quite different from each other. Proper white balance is critical for jpegs. I usually shoot in raw and adjust the white balance in post processing.

7. isabel95

Yes...I was referring to jpgs. I shoot in both raw and jpg and with my Panasonic GH2 have often had to adjust skin tones, while my Olympus E-PL5 gives me more pleasant skin tones under ALL lighting conditions and rarely have to be corrected. I use Adobe Camera Raw for the corrections. My Olympus cameras have spoiled me with their beautiful color, while the interface of the Panasonic is so much better - better menus, better form factor.

I was hoping the GX7 was more spot on color-wise, requiring less manipulation. There have been times with the GH2 where I just can't get the skin the correct color when I've shot under ceiling fluorescents.